The Student Room Group

A level Use of Maths?

(edited 6 years ago)
I'm pretty sure that use of maths isn't a proper A level
Original post by Datalwo
It is a proper A level - see http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/as-and-a-level/use-of-mathematics-5350/past-papers-and-mark-schemes And yeah I know it isn't as good as having an A level in maths and I think some unis don't accept it as an alternative to A level maths as it is applied

I was just wondering if there is unis that accept it for computer science instead of normal maths or is it better to just do the normal A level maths?

Thanks

depends on the uni. You'd want to find out what universities you want to go to and ask if they accept it. Isn't applied math surely just physics? Idk
Some uni do accept and some dont. Some unis offer an alternative so maybe offer a foundation year and then you can progress on to the degree course next year. Use of maths is avery good a level and its better than not having any maths at all. People who do the foundation year will do better than most students who go directly into the degree
Do Maths A Level instead if you can.
Original post by Datalwo
I have just started my A levels you see so do you think it's a good idea to stick with it? I like the subject but I want to get into computer science so am I ok with use of maths? Thanks.

I did use of maths at college and now juat started mechanical engineering with a foundation year. Because its your first yeae at college, i wouls reccomend to stick with it and do as well as possible. Then maybe next year you can move to As maths. If not stick with it and maybe consider a foundation year. But its worth speaking to your teacher privately and see if you can do as maths next year if you do well. Also speak to lots of unis and see if they will accept or not.
But dont think it is a dead end, because it is not.

Quick Reply

Latest