The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys, I have 60 hours volunteering with st johns ambulance
8 hours volunteering at a medical ward as a meal time assistant
and 4 days (32 hours) shadowing an anaesthetist.

Are all of these experiences valid?
Original post by AmaduM
Do Warwick cut off those who do not meet the national average or the average of those who apply? If it's the case where they cut off those who do not meet the national average they may be safe however, if their cut off is based off the averages of those who apply, then it would be risky as those that apply may have VR well above the national average. I'm unsure myself though.

I feel like it's risky too!!
Reply 262
Original post by MJK91
x

Hiya,
you seem really helpful and I've a few questions to ask you if you don't mind?
I got a average of 716, with only a 600 in VR. I know the VR average is in the 570s so will I be ok? What I'm asking is, will they rank me and set their own VR cut off, or will it just be the mean as they state on the page, and then rank everyone again using the overall average?

Thanks for any guidance in advance xxx*
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1476220160.613669.jpg

So this is what is says on their website. So by "cohort" it seems they average the VR of those who apply then look at total UKCAT scores. Therefore it would be risky applying with a low VR score.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MJK91
Sorry can't really be of much more help, I'm a few years out of the application process now! I would imagine it's a total points-based thing so if you have an MSc, and you're above the mean, it sounds like you have a decent shot at getting an interview.

thanks MKJ <3
Original post by AmaduM

So this is what is says on their website. So by "cohort" it seems they average the VR of those who apply then look at total UKCAT scores. Therefore it would be risky applying with a low VR score.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel like it is a risky choice but i may just go for it.
Original post by Lostperson
I feel like it is a risky choice but i may just go for it.

Best of luck!!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 267
Original post by AmaduM
Do Warwick cut off those who do not meet the national average or the average of those who apply? If it's the case where they cut off those who do not meet the national average they may be safe however, if their cut off is based off the averages of those who apply, then it would be risky as those that apply may have VR well above the national average. I'm unsure myself though.

I've just phoned Warwick and the initial VR screen uses the national mean, i.e. the entire ~20,000 cohort. Then they rank those above the national VR mean cut off from highest total to lowest UKCAT, applying points. They also then apply points based on highest academic achievement. Then ~400 with the highest points are invited to the selection centre.
Reply 268
Original post by AmaduM

Posted from TSR Mobile

They use the national average in VR (i.e. the entire ~20,000 people who took UKCAT) as the cut off, not the average of those applying. They then use the total UKCAT of those applying, ranked highest to lowest.
@Lostperson
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by GavinJR
I've just phoned Warwick and the initial VR screen uses the national mean, i.e. the entire ~20,000 cohort. Then they rank those above the national VR mean cut off from highest total to lowest UKCAT, applying points. They also then apply points based on highest academic achievement. Then ~400 with the highest points are invited to the selection centre.

Original post by GavinJR
They use the national average in VR (i.e. the entire ~20,000 people who took UKCAT) as the cut off, not the average of those applying. They then use the total UKCAT of those applying, ranked highest to lowest.
@Lostperson

Ah I see. Thanks for clearing that up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by eemooz
Hiya,
you seem really helpful and I've a few questions to ask you if you don't mind?
I got a average of 716, with only a 600 in VR. I know the VR average is in the 570s so will I be ok? What I'm asking is, will they rank me and set their own VR cut off, or will it just be the mean as they state on the page, and then rank everyone again using the overall average?

Thanks for any guidance in advance xxx*

Judging by the last few admissions' cycles, you should be OK. I would estimate that 700 average and 600 for VR will be the cutoffs.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NHSFan
Judging by the last few admissions' cycles, you should be OK. I would estimate that 700 average and 600 for VR will be the cutoffs.

I thought that someone above said it didn't matter how many points you were above the VR score as long as you are above it. Why do you think it will be 700, when last year was 692.5, when the scores are lower this year?

Just curious.
I thought that someone above said it didn't matter how many points you were above the VR score as long as you are above it. Why do you think it will be 700, when last year was 692.5, when the scores are lower this year?

Just curious.

Sorry....I meant to say that would required to be safe with an application.

I know that in the 2015 cycle, the av for VR was 571. The applicant I know was rejected with a score of 590.
Hey!

I have a UKCAT of 700 on the dot but a 580 VR
A 2:1 and an MSc at Oxford
Any ideas on how i would stand? x

You should be OK because you have a postgrad qualification.
I started getting a worried on this thread when I read that Warwick use the VR average of applicants as their first test.

But, I phoned them yesterday and also read on this thread and can confirm they reject anyone below the average of the 24500 UKCAT takers within VR.

I have a good UKCAT score of 734 but a fairly average VR of 590. Anyway, I've applied now so, guess we will wait and see.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 275
Original post by NHSFan

thank you for your response, I have decided I will apply :smile:
Original post by NHSFan
You should be OK because you have a postgrad qualification.

ah okay what about my best friend, he has a score of 694 , 2:1 in neurosciences and MSc.

He had a 590 VR, but lower UKCAT at 694
I feel like I'm skipping warwick out...
Reply 278
I feel like I'm skipping warwick out...

why?
ah okay what about my best friend, he has a score of 694 , 2:1 in neurosciences and MSc.

He had a 590 VR, but lower UKCAT at 694

There's no guarantee, no one can tell you the exact cut-off. At 590 it's worth a punt for him.

Latest

Trending

Trending