The Student Room Group

THE table of tables has Loughborough up to 6th place

Times Higher Ed has released its "table of tables" - which is based on the combined results of the UK’s three main domestic university rankings.

Top 5 positions are largely unchanged, and Loughborough now joins the "elite".

1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. St Andrews*
4= Imperial
4= Durham
6. Loughborough*
7. LSE
8. Warwick
9. Lancaster*
10 Surrey*

Full table of Top 30:

Spoiler

What do you think about the *non-RGs in the Top 10?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

YES!!! Come on Loughborough!!
Where is this taken from? I'd like to see where my chosen universities fall!
It's nice to see the Times HE inventing a way to gerrymander Cambridge back on top again.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's nice to see the Times inventing a way to gerrymander Cambridge back on top again.

:biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by thedayismyenxmy
Where is this taken from? I'd like to see where my chosen universities fall!

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/table-tables-2017-loughborough-catching-elite
Well 3 of the unis I'm applying to are in the top 30 which is pretty good.
Original post by jneill
Times Higher Ed has released its "table of tables" - which is based on the combined results of the UK’s three main domestic university rankings.

Top 5 positions are largely unchanged, and Loughborough now joins the "elite".

1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. St Andrews*
4= Imperial
4= Durham
6. Loughborough*
7. LSE
8. Warwick
9. Lancaster*
10 Surrey*

Full table of Top 30:

Spoiler

What do you think about the *non-RGs in the Top 10?

I think that when Loughborough dubiously climbs 6 places in one year above LSE and Warwick, there's a sign of discredibility.

Otherwise speaking,it seems indicative enough of what people typically think when they rank universities. Though I'm surprised how UCL isn't even in the top ten :/.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
I think that when Loughborough dubiously climbs 6 places in one year above LSE and Warwick, there's a sign of discredibility.

Otherwise speaking,it seems indicative enough of what people typically think when they rank universities. Though I'm surprised how UCL isn't even in the top ten :/.

Maybe because Loughborough is 1st for Student Experience, Students Union and Accomodation, 4th overall in the guardian, 1st for sport and high in the rankings for the majority of subjects, as well as the fact that most people who apply there have grades of AAB or better. If you have been to see it you'll know why it is so highly ranked.
Reply 9
Original post by Ellie419
Maybe because Loughborough is 1st for Student Experience, Students Union and Accomodation, 4th overall in the guardian, 1st for sport and high in the rankings for the majority of subjects, as well as the fact that most people who apply there have grades of AAB or better. If you have been to see it you'll know why it is so highly ranked.

Please...

I'm pretty certain most people don't even classify it as a top 10. Student experience, students union and accommodation and useless courses in sports are just inflating its position. When these factors are taken out, such as in world-wide rankings, Loughborough slips massively. Why would anyone choose Loughborough over LSE?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's nice to see the Times inventing a way to gerrymander Cambridge back on top again.

The THE ain't nothing to do with Murdoch anymore - they had a falling out in 2005.
I'm pretty certain most people don't even classify it as a top 10. Student experience, students union and accommodation and useless courses in sports are just inflating its position. When these factors are taken out, such as in world-wide rankings, Loughborough slips massively. Why would anyone choose Loughborough over LSE?

Not everyone wants to do Economics or Maths. Its in a cheaper location than London, is a single-site campus and one of the safest unis in the country. It may have used to be all about sport but is genuinely a well-rated uni now, its graduate employment rate speaks for itself. LSE is a more specific uni, whereas Loughborough covers a wider variety and has a high quality of teaching throughout. If you don't like it fair enough that's your opinion which you are entitled to, but you don't need to be rude about other people's choices. I think it is an amazing uni, I even preferred it over Leeds and Durham.

this ^ it hasn't earned the academic respect associated with it's place but has got to 6th based on the fact that other aspects of the uni are superb... loughborough does have a huge focus on teaching quality as well, I have only been to one university but what I have heard from people who taught in various capacities is that there is a bigger focus on good teaching than there is at some other universities

loughborough does have some very competitive departments but generally speaking it's a good but not top 10 university - that's my opinion having got a degree from loughborough!

Personally I think it would be more helpful to have separate ratings for academic (research, lecture quality etc) and non academic ratings (sport, SU, satisfaction etc) because different people will have different priorities and at the end of the day
Original post by doodle_333
Personally I think it would be more helpful to have separate ratings for academic (research, lecture quality etc) and non academic ratings (sport, SU, satisfaction etc) because different people will have different priorities and at the end of the day

How would you measure lecture quality?

For some people the student experience is more important - knowing what I know now (that, yes, I go to a uni with a good reputation but hate the student life), it would genuinely be a toss up for me.

However. I don't think that means Loughborough deserves a higher ranking than less friendly unis - if you come out with a rubbish degree but you've had a good time, cool, but that doesn't make it a good uni. The degree clasisfication you get, accreditation and job prospects are more important imo.

So I get it... But I also don't.
Original post by PQ
The THE ain't nothing to do with Murdoch anymore - they had a falling out in 2005.

True, I should have said the the.
Original post by 1010marina
For some people the student experience is more important - knowing what I know now (that, yes, I go to a uni with a good reputation but hate the student life), it would genuinely be a toss up for me.

However. I don't think that means Loughborough deserves a higher ranking than less friendly unis - if you come out with a rubbish degree but you've had a good time, cool, but that doesn't make it a good uni. The degree clasisfication you get, accreditation and job prospects are more important imo.

So I get it... But I also don't.

Thank you for being polite. I've applied to Loughborough and student experience isn't as important for me however I appreciate that it is good to have high student satisfaction. I think people don't realise that Loughborough has a very high graduate employment rate (98% for my course), they have strong professional links so a degree from there is still highly rated. But thank you for being so polite.:smile:
Original post by PQ
How would you measure lecture quality?

(to my understanding from conversations with lecturers + teaching staff) lecturers and teaching staff are encouraged to produce enjoyable lectures that engage students and that students will say they enjoyed, they are encouraged to offer plenty of time for students to access extra feedback etc and the best lecturers are recognised and hiring decisions are made based on teaching ability not just academics

lecture quality, in terms of what I meant, would be how much students enjoy the lectures (obviously with the proviso that they do learn!) I think if you're paying 9k a year you should really be given engaging lectures... not reading off a powerpoint while someone drones on in a monotone
RGs not featured in the table:

QUB
Cardiff
Liverpool
Manchester
QMUL

Interesting to see Falmouth, Coventry and City there. Wonder what they have done to position them up so high.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending