The Student Room Group

There is little enthusiasm for Brexit

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
There won't be a lot of street parties when it becomes clear that around 2% of GDP per year is being lost.

I wonder if Boris will have to go into hiding on Richard Branson's island?

The fact that Boris ****ing Johnson is Foreign Secretary is the biggest joke to arise out of all of this. The perfect representation of how much of a mess everything is.
Original post by James.Carnell
The fact that Boris ****ing Johnson is Foreign Secretary is the biggest joke to arise out of all of this. The perfect representation of how much of a mess everything is.

I know the usual theory is that May appointed him so that he could make a complete dog's breakfast of the whole thing and from then on be a busted flush, but a part of me can't help wondering if in fact she was just sticking two fingers up to the intelligent people in the community and saying "look, I can do what the **** I want, including appointing a self-serving creep like him to be Foreign Secretary". :rolleyes:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I know the usual theory is that May appointed him so that he could make a complete dog's breakfast of the whole thing and from then on be a busted flush, but a part of me can't help wondering if in fact she was just sticking two fingers up to the intelligent people in the community and saying "look, I can do what the **** I want, including appointing a self-serving creep like him to be Foreign Secretary". :rolleyes:

Yes, she followed the line of the people like Heseltine who suggested 'Oh just let Boris sort it out'. I think it is more a political insurance move as she knows that it is more than likely that the UK economy will be on the verge of reset in the remaining time that her party is in power. Official line is of course to make Brexit work, but she knows that in the timeframe they have left that it is not really possible as Cameron says they will be "doing the hard ****". So they will be forced to make very unpopular decisions and cut many more things than are being cut right now in the likely result of a reset or near reset.
Boris is the sacrificial lamb where they can pin the blame on individual incompetence within their party.

The ball is in the Corbynistas' court really. They can inherit a government that has made the very unpopular decisions already and be the ones that create the jobs and growth for the future.

Do you get involved in campaigning much?
Reply 43
At some point you just have to accept that the majority of people in your country are stupid and don't know how to look after their own best interests, and get out of there. For now, you are still free to move to any of the other 27 EU countries, and lots of them are better places to live than the UK these days.
Original post by db10
At some point you just have to accept that the majority of people in your country are stupid and don't know how to look after their own best interests, and get out of there. For now, you are still free to move to any of the other 27 EU countries, and lots of them are better places to live than the UK these days.

I have actually been exploring the possibility if there are jobs out there. The thing is I question if there are language requirements - that is the roadblock.
Reply 45
The pound has hit rock bottom stupid Brexiters
Reply 46
I have actually been exploring the possibility if there are jobs out there. The thing is I question if there are language requirements - that is the roadblock.

I'm also considering the idea of moving to Germany, and I see the language barrier as the biggest hindrance to me moving there
Reply 47

The language is only an obstacle at first, and I do think lots of people let it scare them too much. Think about all these Eastern Europeans FLOODING the UK and stealing all the menial jobs - most of them aren't fluent in English before they get here! And if they can do it, why can't well-educated British people do the same?

Pick a country, start learning their language today, and you'll be able to move there in a year and get by. You can also apply at large companies where English will be used more.
Original post by Ambitious1999
But why should we? All for the sake of a tiny 4% majority. A vote based off lies about immigration, xenophobia and bigotry that if anything amounts to electoral fraud which in itself should be enough to void the result.

Add to that the fact a lot of leave voters now regret their decision. Get real the support for Bexit is falling. Why should we be put through the misery of something increasing fewer people want?

At the very least give people a second chance.

Another issue is a lot of us couldn't even vote, yet its our lives and careers that will be most affected by leaving the EU! It's our courses that will loose funding, it's our job opportunities that will be lost.
Is it right that many who were allowed to vote Brexit were retired and will not suffer like the millions of under 18 year olds who are affected?

A majority is a majority, even if it were 1 vote. I'm also not quite sure you know what electoral fraud actually is, and correct me if im wrong, but all yje "oops, we called that wrong" is coming from...you. Well, not you lot, the Remoaners won't even acknowledge they were wrong even after it's proved.
But why should we? All for the sake of a tiny 4% majority. A vote based off lies about immigration, xenophobia and bigotry that if anything amounts to electoral fraud which in itself should be enough to void the result.

Add to that the fact a lot of leave voters now regret their decision. Get real the support for Bexit is falling. Why should we be put through the misery of something increasing fewer people want?

At the very least give people a second chance.

Another issue is a lot of us couldn't even vote, yet its our lives and careers that will be most affected by leaving the EU! It's our courses that will loose funding, it's our job opportunities that will be lost.
Is it right that many who were allowed to vote Brexit were retired and will not suffer like the millions of under 18 year olds who are affected?

Well for the simple reason that because if it had been a 4% majority the other way we'd be staying, and you'd think it outrageous if someone suggested that because the margin was small and because leave only slightly lost we should therefore leave.
Reply 50
Original post by db10
The language is only an obstacle at first, and I do think lots of people let it scare them too much. Think about all these Eastern Europeans FLOODING the UK and stealing all the menial jobs - most of them aren't fluent in English before they get here! And if they can do it, why can't well-educated British people do the same?

Because Brits don't want to do menial jobs for the minimum wage.
Original post by Josb

They will have to up the wage then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by limetang
Well for the simple reason that because if it had been a 4% majority the other way we'd be staying, and you'd think it outrageous if someone suggested that because the margin was small and because leave only slightly lost we should therefore leave.

But staying with the result, what if by March 2017 when our unelected, out of touch, prime minister launches Brexit and say only <40% support Brexit, her own back benchers are rebelling and the parliament that was elected by the people have no confidence in the government.....will it seem right to put the country through a misery that has little support?

Remember, if it had been the other way around with remain winning. then so be it, maybe there would have been the chance for another referendum...there would have been flexibility....but this Brexit is irreversible there is NO going back, there is no rejoining the EU when the **** hits the fan, no second chances, our future and our lives, the lives of our children changed forever. This is a step into the unknown into darkness.
Original post by Maker
I used to feel sorry for poor people because they didn't have the intelligence or nous to get a well paid job or start a good business. But now a lot of them voted Leave and they are going to be in an even worse position with inflation eating away at their benefit money and government spending cuts, I think it serves them right and I don't have any guilt about it at all.

So does that mean you support Brexit now?
So contrary to the leave campaigns visions of street parties and national celebration following a massive victory for leave it didn't happen.

So if Brexit was so great, then where were the street parties and national celebrations, an Independence Day for Britain? Very low key if that, and enthusiasm for Brexit is declining rapidly.

It wasn't a massive victory either only a pathetic 4% majority, many of whom decided to vote leave on the day having been fed lies about immigration etc but having never thought it through.

Now a lot of Brexit voters regret their decision.

The pound is falling in value. Cost of petrol is going up. Cost of living and consumer goods set to cost more. We all remember the horror of the 2008 recession and misery of the last 6 years of austerity, then things were getting better in 2015-2016 our fragile economy improving. Now Brexit has smashed that recovery.

At one time £1 would get 1euro and 30 cents now £1 is worth around 88cents in some places!
University EU funding will cease. A lot of EU funded FE courses, appretiships etc will be gone and sadly it's those affected by this 16 year olds who weren't even given the bloody chance to vote presumably for fear they'd vote to stay.

Also the days of bringing back generous supplies of cheap booze from Europe are over it'll soon be 1 lire of spirits max, another kick in the teeth for the hard working poor looking for a bargain.

So if there wasn't a lot of pomp and circumstance on June 23rd there's not gonna be much more over the coming months more like a lot of grief and anger. Because enthusiasm to leave the EU is dying rapidly. It's probably got less support than the illegal invasion of Iraq but like that sadly its something that's gonna happen and is rapidly losing its support.

Don't expect any waving of the Union Jack or St George's cross, we won't be partying and those who wanted Brexit...your ears will be burning, don't expect to feel comfortable in the false belief that this is any celebration, feel the guilt as jobs are lost, as opportunities for the young are snuffed out, enjoy paying more for your petrol and food. That the Scottish now have a lot more reason to despise the English having been taken out of the EU when most wanted to stay. What a sorry miserable mess this has become.

Of course it need not be like that, May could see this lack of enthusiasm and call a second referendum, or a general election or damn well resign.

Brexit means Brexit? To most of us it means jack s***

And to think that people are calling for a hard Brexit!! The EU are going to offer us an absolutely s***e deal if we do that. They won't want other countries following our shoddy lead...
Yes, she followed the line of the people like Heseltine who suggested 'Oh just let Boris sort it out'. I think it is more a political insurance move as she knows that it is more than likely that the UK economy will be on the verge of reset in the remaining time that her party is in power. Official line is of course to make Brexit work, but she knows that in the timeframe they have left that it is not really possible as Cameron says they will be "doing the hard ****". So they will be forced to make very unpopular decisions and cut many more things than are being cut right now in the likely result of a reset or near reset.
Boris is the sacrificial lamb where they can pin the blame on individual incompetence within their party.

The ball is in the Corbynistas' court really. They can inherit a government that has made the very unpopular decisions already and be the ones that create the jobs and growth for the future.

Do you get involved in campaigning much?

May is running a country on the brink of a massive recession. The pound is falling daily, there will be many job losses, only today several popular items have been removed from the shelves of Tesco, but other Supermarkets will follow as will the Cash & Carrys supplying our independent corner shops and market stalls. Other food items too will disappear.
Unilver Monsanto etc not only supply food and home products they also make the fertilisers and feed stuffs used by our farmers.

So we can expect hugely inflated food prices and our favourite foods no longer been available any where. That's on top of people being put out of work and then having their welfare payments cut as part of a new austerity.

The last recession did Gordon Brown a lot of harm and the global banking crisis that caused it wasn't even his fault. This time its our own fault. Where Brown could not stop the credit crunch, at least May can abandon Brexit. There can be a recovery. But if she fails to do that I can not see her winning any popularity contests and I think her days as PM are severely numbered, pending some of her MPs to demand her immediate resignation. Thatcher was forced to resign by her own party for her Euro skeptic views.

We are calling on a cross party coalition of pro- remain MPs to stop this idiotic nonsense, call for a vote of no confidence in May and if needed get a second EU referendum or General election. And if that even means another Lib dem- coalition with Tories Or labour then so damn be it!
(edited 7 years ago)
May is running a country on the brink of a massive recession. The pound is falling daily, there will be many job losses, only today several popular items have been removed from the shelves of Tesco, but other Supermarkets will follow as will the Cash & Carrys supplying our independent corner shops and market stalls. Other food items too will disappear.
Unilver Monsanto etc not only supply food and home products they also make the fertilisers and feed stuffs used by our farmers.

So we can expect hugely inflated food prices and our favourite foods no longer been available any where. That's on top of people being put out of work and then having their welfare payments cut as part of a new austerity.

The last recession did Gordon Brown a lot of harm and the global banking crisis that caused it wasn't even his fault. This time its our own fault. Where Brown could not stop the credit crunch, at least May can abandon Brexit. There can be a recovery. But if she fails to do that I can not see her winning any popularity contests and I think her days as PM are severely numbered, pending some of her MPs to demand her immediate resignation. Thatcher was forced to resign by her own party for her Euro skeptic views.

We are calling on a cross party coalition of pro- remain MPs to stop this idiotic nonsense, call for a vote of no confidence in May and if needed get a second EU referendum or General election. And if that even means another Lib dem- coalition with Tories Or labour then so damn be it!

Substitution of products has happened for years since the previous recession. Horse meat scandal for example. Only now it has got so bad that it is all out in the open and there are outright instances of big supermarkets not selling many popular products.

Inflation on household products has been in sharp rise for years. Usually it could be hidden by smaller packet sizes. E.g. Smaller Terrys Chocoloate oranges as reported recently. But its going to get so ****ed up that prices will just keep rising. CPI figures are downright fraudulent as they use items such as beard wax (??) as items in a typical household shop.

Carney imo is just a glorified money printer, guy in a smart suit that is just essentially delaying the inevitable by printing more inflation for everybody.
Massive massive inflation will be sought as the answer. By massive inflation I mean your money will lose 30% of the purchasing power every 5-8 years, that is what I see happening.

All of this leads to the vulnerable being hit the hardest, ironically the sort that voted for Brexit. However, of course these cuts would have had to been made eventually anyway because the underlying economy was so weak to begin with. Osborne said for instance says pensioners would lose their perks. They would lose their perks whether we are in or out of the EU. They will lose them because the underlying economy is so weak that the economy cannot support their perks. Right now they are sacrificing the young in order to buy votes. Now you can argue the young kind of deserve this because of figures like a mere 33% voter turnout in 18-24 year olds for the referendum. However this kicks the can down the road but it crushes the birth rate. Hardly anyone I know is having kids apart from the very poor (i.e. chavs). However, a crushed birth rate means the ponzi of paying pensions out of current taxes cannot continue unless you import a lot of foreign workers Merkel style (ironic hey?). Today pensioner benefits is £148bn, this is more than the entire income tax take.

And not a single claim there stands up to scrutiny, or at least the ones forming the point of the argument. It's on a brink of a recession that even the people who were forecasting a recession to try to manipulate us into remaining are saying is nowhere in sight; the pound is falling daily, which I guess means yesterday needs erasing from history; there will be many job losses...which would generally imply a significantly slowing economy, which we've already touched on; suddenly loads of stuff will be off the shelves, because apparently, idk, big businesses are going to refuse to sell to one of their biggest markets or something; and super high inflation that is nowhere to be seen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
And not a single claim there stands up to scrutiny, or at least the ones forming the point of the argument. It's on a brink of a recession that even the people who were forecasting a recession to try to manipulate us into remaining are saying is nowhere in sight; the pound is falling daily, which I guess means yesterday needs erasing from history; there will be many job losses...which would generally imply a significantly slowing economy, which we've already touched on; suddenly loads of stuff will be off the shelves, because apparently, idk, big businesses are going to refuse to sell to one of their biggest markets or something; and super high inflation that is nowhere to be seen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dude the UK has been in deep deep **** for years now, and its only going to get worse. From my records, if you are under the age of 27 you have always lived in what is technically a recession.

Take these figures going back as far as 1998 for example:

1998:
GDP growth +£48.8bn
Public debt -£39.3bn
Private debt -£39bn
Actual = -£29.5bn

2003:
GDP growth +£62.4bn
Public debt -£33.1bn
Private debt -123bn
Actual = -£93.7bn

2005:
GDP growth +£49.7bn
Public debt -£36.5bn
Private debt-£103bn
Actual = -£89.8bn

All leaving the EU does is quicken the eventuality of a reset, because reset is inevitable given the underlying economic context we are living under.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by Josb

Okay... And? Unless your point is that the language barrier is more of an issue for the types of jobs that Brits do want to do abroad? In which case, I already addressed that in my post.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending