The Student Room Group

Withdrawal from RE

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Super Koopa
That is the accurate information. The whole "they'll ask you to leave" thing was just something a teacher said, and that's it. Everything else is accurate, and now that you know the circumstances around that specific point it's been cleared up as well, although I apologise for not clarifying earlier; I only found out the vast majority of this today myself.

I wouldnt take notice of what an individyal teacher said and would seek verification from the school. That being the headmaster or at least the head of sixth plus where they obtained the authorty from.
Original post by 999tigger
I wouldnt take notice of what an individyal teacher said and would seek verification from the school. That being the headmaster or at least the head of sixth plus where they obtained the authorty from.

Yeah, that's pretty much the plan for now. I didn't go in today, but my friends were apparently forced to do it (I found out through Facebook), and the Deputy Head of Sixth Form said he's just ignoring them and that he didn't care what they had to say. My mum is expected to speak to him later today because the actual Head of Sixth Form is off, so I wonder how that's going to turn out.
Why wouldnt they be able to make you leave? You join based ion terms you agree to. they should be on the website. If you dont have them, then it would seem sensible to ask the school for a copy.

Its their school. take it or leave it.

Though your issue is about having to study an actual subject, the fact that you would've had a free otherwise is kind of like what we are being made to do. At our school, we have something called CAS that everybody has to do unless their timetable doesn't fit in with it. It is essentially choosing to do 1 out of 3 extra curricular activities for those who do not have a lesson p6. Those that do have to do an alternative sports activity but some ppl (including me) don't have frees on the periods that those alternative activities were scheduled so we're are exempt from it(!) Most ppl hate it as they would've have been able to go home (or wherever else ) if this didn't exist and this wasn't actually specified in a contract though internal students like me may have heard of it
Unfortunately, the school is legally able to force such things on us as it would help us when writing personal statements and CVs so ur school may have some similar intention
Talk to ur headteacher and maybe start a petition? - although, this may be a little extreme !
Original post by Starlight2000
Though your issue is about having to study an actual subject, the fact that you would've had a free otherwise is kind of like what we are being made to do. At our school, we have something called CAS that everybody has to do unless their timetable doesn't fit in with it. It is essentially choosing to do 1 out of 3 extra curricular activities for those who do not have a lesson p6. Those that do have to do an alternative sports activity but some ppl (including me) don't have frees on the periods that those alternative activities were scheduled so we're are exempt from it(!) Most ppl hate it as they would've have been able to go home (or wherever else ) if this didn't exist and this wasn't actually specified in a contract though internal students like me may have heard of it
Unfortunately, the school is legally able to force such things on us as it would help us when writing personal statements and CVs so ur school may have some similar intention
Talk to ur headteacher and maybe start a petition? - although, this may be a little extreme !

You are tagging the wrong person.
I'd just like to say that my mum calmly phoned up the school, and I managed to get withdrawn successfully. She just said certain key points that I've mentioned - as well as a few others - and in the end there was nothing else the teachers could say to discredit her. She said they tried making her out to be a bad parent though, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Original post by Starlight2000

Yeah, it's very similar to what you described, especially because those who have lessons when it is supposed to take place don't need to attend. Fortunately I've been able to work my way around my situation just because it's RE, otherwise I'd still be made to come in. Honestly, I'd have done it if it was anything else.

Petitions and speaking to the headteacher would definitely have been the next steps I took, however. Thanks very much for your helpful words! :smile:
You are tagging the wrong person.

Sorry lol
Original post by Super Koopa
"it's a religious school"

Much as I'm against enforced religion, if you have chosen to go to a religious school then you're probably stuck with it. Our local (C of E) one makes parents sign something about agreeing with the wonderfulness of Jesus (I paraphrase) when students join. From my experience of Roman Catholic ones they're even more keen on pushing religion at all possible moments.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Compost
Much as I'm against enforced religion, if you have chosen to go to a religious school then you're probably stuck with it. Our local (C of E) one makes parents sign something about agreeing with the wonderfulness of Jesus (I paraphrase) when students join. From my experience of Roman Catholic ones they're even more keen on pushing religion at all possible moments.

Thankfully, no such agreement was put in place for our school. If there was, I'd get laughed out of the school if I said I didn't want to do it. I'm just fortunate enough to have been able to worm my way out of it due to the contract being vague and deceitful.

Quick Reply

Latest