The Student Room Group

Disney tried to cast a white guy as the hero of live-action Mulan movie

Disney's upcoming 2018 live-action retelling of Mulan, the traditional Chinese story of a young girl who takes her father's place in war to save him, is being hit with criticism on social media after a speculative screenplay was leaked online.

The information, posted anonymously on the website Angry Asian Man, revealed that the new Disney movie would not focus on Mulan's own journey to protect her family. Instead, the proposed remake of the studio's hit animation movie would feature a white male European sailor who saved the young heroine and conquered her heart.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/11/entertainment/make-mulan-right-petition/

Lol this can't be true? :curious:

Scroll to see replies

[video="youtube;ilCmywMin8I"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilCmywMin8I[/video]
Reply 2
whats wrong with this?....
Reply 3
Original post by mkap
whats wrong with this?....

Are you serious? It undercuts the entire point of the movie. Nicely done. I don't think they could have ****ed that up worse if they tried.

(also white dudes weren't exploring china around the time the story is set, so dire historical inaccuracy too!)
That better not be true. :/
Reply 5
Racial and gender disputes aside, that sounds like the polar opposite of what Mulan is about. Might as well make it a new IP.
Reply 6
Original post by Twinpeaks
That better not be true. :/

Well, it's not the final script so we're safe in that regard
Original post by RobML
Well, it's not the final script so we're safe in that regard

Just seen this http://www.vulture.com/2016/10/fans-dont-want-a-mulan-with-a-white-male-lead.html

Although I don't know how much sway we should give to a 'source close to the film'. :rolleyes:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by RobML
Are you serious? It undercuts the entire point of the movie. Nicely done. I don't think they could have ****ed that up worse if they tried.

(also white dudes weren't exploring china around the time the story is set, so dire historical inaccuracy too!)

tbh they may have done it bc he probs looks chinese or could get away with it. shows do this all the time.
Reply 9
Original post by Reality Check
Would you have rather they'd done the equivalent of 'blacking them up'?

What are you trying to prove?

Original post by mkap
tbh they may have done it bc he probs looks chinese or could get away with it. shows do this all the time.

Instead, the proposed remake of the studio's hit animation movie would feature a white male European sailor who saved the young heroine and conquered her heart
All part of Hollywood's long smear campaign against Asian males and promotion of White males and ethnic minority females.

Hollywood is racist, this is not exactly groundbreaking news.
Reply 11
Original post by RobML
What are you trying to prove?

ok thats dumb and spoils the movie
Reply 12
Original post by Reality Check
That if they'd found who they wanted as an actor but done this, there'd have been an outcry. But there's also an outcry because he's not the 'right' colour. How can they win?

I don't comprehend
Original post by RobML
I don't comprehend

That's because I'm taking crap and didn't read your original post properly. Forgive me.
If he's hot who cares, insecure boys always get jealous around more handsome men
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Lost Her Way
If he's hot who cares, insecure boys always get jealous around more handsome men

ok
Hollywood is running out of ideas... if you want to remake a classic cartoon into a live action at least do it right...

Yeah, perpetration of Asian stereotypes in Hollywood is nothing new... Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's is a good example of that.
Reply 17
I could of sworn a few months ago people were ok changing characters ethnicities.

I didn't agree with it then and I don't now but hopefully people will be consistent and say this is ok
Original post by RobML
ok

If Romeo is Black id be fine w that, people getting mad are just boys with little willies who think women are for their ethnicity only
Reply 19
Original post by Lost Her Way
If Romeo is Black id be fine w that, people getting mad are just boys with little willies who think women are for their ethnicity only

Quick Reply

Latest