The Student Room Group

A2 Music or Geography?

I am currently in the position to choose between carrying on either Music or Geography to A2 level but I can't decide. My other A2 options are Maths and Economics. Subjects wise I like both of them equally as I find both very interesting. Class wise, including class size and everything I prefer geography but results wise I think I will get a better result in Music. Could you please help out? Thank you!!
Original post by a level tips
I am currently in the position to choose between carrying on either Music or Geography to A2 level but I can't decide. My other A2 options are Maths and Economics. Subjects wise I like both of them equally as I find both very interesting. Class wise, including class size and everything I prefer geography but results wise I think I will get a better result in Music. Could you please help out? Thank you!!

What are you hoping to study after A Levels? Geography would go much better with Maths and Economics than Music, and is also a more traditional, facilitating subject :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
What are you hoping to study after A Levels? Geography would go much better with Maths and Economics than Music, and is also a more traditional, facilitating subject :smile:

Well, I'm still not sure about what to study after A levels, but I think I would want to go to Business and/or Economics! Thanks so much for the reply :biggrin: but what about the thought that I might be able to score higher in Music than Geography? :/
Check which subjects the universities want for those courses. Most will only request one or two specific subjects and I'm sure those subjects only would require maths. So it's up to you. If you are likely to get a higher result in music then I would take that course as it's the results rather than the subjects which usually count.

P.S I took A level music and know quite a lot of people from my class are currently doing maths, science or medicine degrees at uni so don't worry the skills in music and geography A level are all transferable.
Original post by SarahF7207
Check which subjects the universities want for those courses. Most will only request one or two specific subjects and I'm sure those subjects only would require maths. So it's up to you. If you are likely to get a higher result in music then I would take that course as it's the results rather than the subjects which usually count.

P.S I took A level music and know quite a lot of people from my class are currently doing maths, science or medicine degrees at uni so don't worry the skills in music and geography A level are all transferable.

I see I see! The universities don't have a specific requirement in regards to a subject except for Maths for the course. How was A level Music for you? Did people drop it at AS? Or do you recommend taking it to A2?
I'd say chose what you enjoy more and also what you think you'll get a better grade in. Cause lets face it we're at college to get the best results we can get. Hopefully you'll chose the best one for you.
Original post by Leviathan1741

I agree.
Original post by Adam_syk3s
I'd say chose what you enjoy more and also what you think you'll get a better grade in. Cause lets face it we're at college to get the best results we can get. Hopefully you'll chose the best one for you.

Thank you! The thing is, I think I enjoy Geography more but think would get better grade in Music (I did get higher in Music than Geo in IGCSE)... sighhh
Well, I'm still not sure about what to study after A levels, but I think I would want to go to Business and/or Economics! Thanks so much for the reply :biggrin: but what about the thought that I might be able to score higher in Music than Geography? :/

You're welcome! Geography would be more relevant and beneficial for an Economics/Business degree, but if there aren't any specific subject requirements, or you already fulfill them by having Maths for example, then Music may be the better option, depending on what you're predicted to get in Music compared to Geography, and what the grade requirements are. I would suggest getting in touch with a few unis which have courses that interest you and ask which subject combination would be better, given the situation :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I see I see! The universities don't have a specific requirement in regards to a subject except for Maths for the course. How was A level Music for you? Did people drop it at AS? Or do you recommend taking it to A2?

Only a few people from the 40 who took music at AS in my year dropped the subject. Most took it as a sort of creative break from the intensiveness of maths and I saw it in that sort of way.
The written paper at A2 wasn't that much harder that AS apart from the listening but that just gets better with practise and as long as you have time to spend on compositions you should enjoy the course.
Thank you VERY much to everyone that has spent time to read and reply to my question, I appreciate it a lot!! I have decided to go with Geography to A2 and carry on with Music until AS. Thank you all for the advice once again!

Quick Reply

Latest