The Student Room Group

Is religion declining in Britain?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Byrd
Ummmm.... I don't know what you've been told but whatever it is, it's wrong. Science cannot be proven and that's why it's all referred to as theory.

In any case, what makes x religion more real and true than y religion? Why should you worship God over Poseidon, Allah over Cernunnos, Brahman over Odin?
atheism is rising and christianity is being confined to the historical dustbin
islam is also rising but purely as a consequence of muslim immigrants and muslim birthrates being so much highe than other birthrates

what a strange combination - atheists and muslims...I'm trying to imagine our country in 50 years' time...
Original post by sleepysnooze
atheism is rising and christianity is being confined to the historical dustbin
islam is also rising but purely as a consequence of muslim immigrants and muslim birthrates being so much highe than other birthrates

what a strange combination - atheists and muslims...I'm trying to imagine our country in 50 years' time...

Christianity is slowly becoming less prevalent, though I very much doubt it will die out completely. I believe that Islam will rise for a while then the rate will stagnate. Atheism is on the rise which I believe it will continue to do. At the moment, +-50% of Britain is atheist. I can see this rising to 70-75% in 50 years' time.
Original post by Mactotaur
Christianity is slowly becoming less prevalent, though I very much doubt it will die out completely. I believe that Islam will rise for a while then the rate will stagnate. Atheism is on the rise which I believe it will continue to do. At the moment, +-50% of Britain is atheist. I can see this rising to 70-75% in 50 years' time.

in order for islam to stagnate, you have to isolate the middle east and the context of foreign immigration in order for muslims to actually assimilate, which is the point where scepticism towards their own religion will be seen to be something acceptable and not demonic like in arabia, west and central asia, etc. but we don't have that right now and I doubt we will for at least a number of generations. so atheism will grow at roughly the same rate as islam because more people will be muslims simply due to births, but there are more christians than muslim parents and children by quite a lot, so the potential for more atheists from that fact is quite clear
Considering we aren't mounting as many religious inquisitions as we used to, I'd say there's been a minor decline.
no
Original post by the bear
no

That's where you're wrong. Compare the number of atheists 100 years ago and today.
That's where you're wrong. Compare the number of atheists 100 years ago and today.

oh no my "how many atheists" app won't load *
Science cannot be proven and that's why it's all referred to as theory.

Objectively wrong.
In any case, what makes x religion more real and true than y religion? Why should you worship God over Poseidon, Allah over Cernunnos, Brahman over Odin?

It's all down to personal philosophy.
Original post by the bear
oh no my "how many atheists" app won't load *

Oh bear... :love: :lol: :love:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends on the levels of religiosity, is a person who ticks the Christianity box but never goes to church, hasnt been christened and engages in premarital sex, still considered to be Christian?
Original post by Mathemagicien
How dare you, the Celestial Spaghetti Monster is a very real thing, you Ungodly Heathen.

Ramen to that brother *
Nor is it difficult to laugh at a group of ideologies which is based off air in rocks.

Reply 34
How dare you, the Celestial Spaghetti Monster is a very real thing, you Ungodly Heathen.

Yes.Its slowly dying.These are just the last death spasms before the inevitable demise.
Sadly, no. -.-
Reply 37
It is blasphemy to make depictions of Our Lord! :mob:

I apologise, please do not boil me in a marmite full of tomato sauce. :cry2:
Can't be bothered to read through the thread, but if any statistics have been posted then let me know.
Reply 39
Everything has been declining here lately

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending