The Student Room Group

Help, I need to join an Inn!

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this and I need some guidance. I will receive my LLB Hons degree in a couple of months. I am a Canadian citizen studying in the UK and I need to join one of the Inns. I don't have the best grades, but I have numerous academic/employment/character references available from tutors, heads of the law departments, lawyers, etc. Also, I do not need to go through the whole scholarship process for the BPTC, as I can finance myself. I have already passed the BCAT test. I want to join an inn for 2017, but I do not want to wait until after I receive my degree to do so, unless I have to. Could someone please tell me which Inn won't penalize me so much for merit, and what my options are now?

Thank you!
Original post by EFEM
Hi everyone!

I'm new to this and I need some guidance. I will receive my LLB Hons degree in a couple of months. I am a Canadian citizen studying in the UK and I need to join one of the Inns. I don't have the best grades, but I have numerous academic/employment/character references available from tutors, heads of the law departments, lawyers, etc. Also, I do not need to go through the whole scholarship process for the BPTC, as I can finance myself. I have already passed the BCAT test. I want to join an inn for 2017, but I do not want to wait until after I receive my degree to do so, unless I have to. Could someone please tell me which Inn won't penalize me so much for merit, and what my options are now?

Thank you!

which uni did you graduate from? how much is the BPTC? you plan to work and live in London?
Reply 2
Hey!

My degree will be from Plymouth University, and yes I hope to eventually live and work in London. I believe the BPTC is around £18000+. As I stated before, I don't need a scholarship, or help with funding, I will pay it myself. I have many references as well, it's just my merit that is a bit low.
Reply 3
Original post by EFEM
Hey!

My degree will be from Plymouth University, and yes I hope to eventually live and work in London. I believe the BPTC is around £18000+. As I stated before, I don't need a scholarship, or help with funding, I will pay it myself. I have many references as well, it's just my merit that is a bit low.

Your route through is sound, maybe speak to the careers department at your uni to check you're on the right track.

Small aside - have you thought of doing the BVC at Oxford/Cambridge, perhaps in Contract law? It's another two years but Chambers love it.

You should start applying for mini-pupillage and any form of work experience now, starting everything on the BPTC can sometimes be too late. Get some pro Bono and ethics experience too.

Network network network too, it'a all about who you know!

Each Inn has its special quirks. I recommend Inner Temple. They have lots of scholarships and awards too. It was good enough for Saint Sir Thomas More (patron of lawyers!)

Contact the Inn if you're unsure about anything. Be super polite in your email and make sure you've read the website.

"Audrey18"s post has no relevance, same for most of her previous contributions to threads, so don't go out of your way to answer their questions :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mimir
Your route through is sound, maybe speak to the careers department at your uni to check you're on the right track.

Small aside - have you thought of doing the BVC at Oxford/Cambridge, perhaps in Contract law? It's another two years but Chambers love it.

You should start applying for mini-pupillage and any form of work experience now, starting everything on the BPTC can sometimes be too late. Get some pro Bono and ethics experience too.

Network network network too, it'a all about who you know!

Each Inn has its special quirks. I recommend Inner Temple. They have lots of scholarships and awards too. It was good enough for Saint Sir Thomas More (patron of lawyers!)

Contact the Inn if you're unsure about anything. Be super polite in your email and make sure you've read the website.

"Audrey18"s post has no relevance, same for most of her previous contributions to threads, so don't go out of your way to answer their questions :smile:

You are a PS reviewer on this forum so you should be setting a good example. If we posted sarcastic, unprovoked statements like what you did above we would be penalised but if you do it then its fine and it's all business as usual? Interesting. One rule for you and another for us.
Reply 5
Original post by Audrey18
You are a PS reviewer on this forum so you should be setting a good example. If we posted sarcastic, unprovoked statements like what you did above we would be penalised but if you do it then its fine and it's all business as usual? Interesting. One rule for you and another for us.

:toofunny:you're obviously new here...
Original post by EFEM
Hi everyone!

Thank you!

None of the Inns will penalise you for academic merit.

Applying to join an Inn is purely a formality: if you have at least a 2:2 degree in Law (or you are still studying towards a degree, or you have some other 2:2 degree and are doing the GDL), and you can get two certificates of good character, and £100, and fill in a form, then whichever Inn you apply to will accept you. So far as I know the Inns have no discretion not to do so.

Applying to do the BPTC is not a formality in that sense as the BPTC providers do have a discretion to reject you. However, I do not know of anyone who was rejected from all three of their BPTC providers.

As you will be aware the difficulty lies in obtaining a pupillage.
Reply 7
Thanks so much for the reply!

As I said before my grade is not a 2:2 at the moment. Currently, it's a bit over a pass. I'm hoping that will all change before I graduate.

My high school grade was %80.5 overall but I don't think they care about that.
I have 8 references so I think I'll be fine in that aspect.
I know pupillage is hard, but my priority now is to get into an inn, and the BPTC.

Do you think I can get into an inn now with low grades?

Original post by Forum User
None of the Inns will penalise you for academic merit.

Applying to join an Inn is purely a formality: if you have at least a 2:2 degree in Law (or you are still studying towards a degree, or you have some other 2:2 degree and are doing the GDL), and you can get two certificates of good character, and £100, and fill in a form, then whichever Inn you apply to will accept you. So far as I know the Inns have no discretion not to do so.

Applying to do the BPTC is not a formality in that sense as the BPTC providers do have a discretion to reject you. However, I do not know of anyone who was rejected from all three of their BPTC providers.

As you will be aware the difficulty lies in obtaining a pupillage.
Reply 8
Original post by EFEM

As I said before my grade is not a 2:2 at the moment. Currently, it's a bit over a pass. I'm hoping that will all change before I graduate.

I know pupillage is hard, but my priority now is to get into an inn, and the BPTC.

Yes, once you have your qualifying law degree I believe.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EFEM

So far as I know, if you have not yet completed your degree then you will be allowed to join the Inn no matter how poorly it is going. The only thing the Inns require is a letter from the university on headed paper stating that you are pursuing a degree course:

http://www.lincolnsinn.org.uk/images/word/admission/Admission%20Forms%205%20May%202016.pdf

(for example, but all Inns apply the same standards). Only if you have finished your degree do you need a minimum 2:2 to join. As you can see from the form you do not need any academic references - just two character references.

Quick Reply