The Student Room Group

Stomach Pain

Last night I went to some concert thing and I was pretty close to the speakers so the bass was pretty much shaking my body. I drank quite a bit so I didn't notice any pain then, yet when I woke up this morning my stomach area, under the skin, felt extremely painful. The pain is very sharp and it comes in waves about every 10 seconds and lasts for a couple of seconds. Is there anyway that the bass from the speakers could have caused this pain, because I can't think of what else it would be. I thought it would go away after a bit, but 6 hours later and its just as bad, nothing I do stops it. Is this worth seeing a doctor about, or should I just wait for a few days to see if the pain is still there?
I feel like this is a bit of a weird thing to put on the student room, but I don't see the harm in doing so.

Scroll to see replies

This exact thing happened to me after I went to a loud concert in a small venue. It will go away eventually, I don't think it's anything fatal :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by george_c00per
This exact thing happened to me after I went to a loud concert in a small venue. It will go away eventually, I don't think it's anything fatal :smile:

Ah thanks for the reply :smile:
Yeah I hope I don't die, I want to see the new pirates of the Caribbean movie
Reply 3
Original post by BlakMan
Last night I went to some concert thing and I was pretty close to the speakers so the bass was pretty much shaking my body. I drank quite a bit so I didn't notice any pain then, yet when I woke up this morning my stomach area, under the skin, felt extremely painful. The pain is very sharp and it comes in waves about every 10 seconds and lasts for a couple of seconds. Is there anyway that the bass from the speakers could have caused this pain, because I can't think of what else it would be. I thought it would go away after a bit, but 6 hours later and its just as bad, nothing I do stops it. Is this worth seeing a doctor about, or should I just wait for a few days to see if the pain is still there?
I feel like this is a bit of a weird thing to put on the student room, but I don't see the harm in doing so.

Try painkillers like paracetamol or pepermint tablets (they stop the cramping in your muscles which often causes stomach pain) and hot or cold patches. If it is so bad that you feel sick, painkillers don't help, you feel the pain in your back too or it lasts a long time (maybe until this evening) call 111.
You could just have an upset stomach, but there is also a risk of infection, appendicitis and other more nasty problems so it is worth seeing a doctor if it doesn't improve.
Reply 4
Original post by Kindred
Try painkillers like paracetamol or pepermint tablets (they stop the cramping in your muscles which often causes stomach pain) and hot or cold patches. If it is so bad that you feel sick, painkillers don't help, you feel the pain in your back too or it lasts a long time (maybe until this evening) call 111.
You could just have an upset stomach, but there is also a risk of infection, appendicitis and other more nasty problems so it is worth seeing a doctor if it doesn't improve.

It's been nearly 2 days later and the pain is just as bad and intense. I really hope it goes away soon, it's really getting on my nerves
Reply 5
Original post by BlakMan
It's been nearly 2 days later and the pain is just as bad and intense. I really hope it goes away soon, it's really getting on my nerves

Call 111 or see a doctor now. I'd tend to call 111 first so you know how urgent an appointment you need. There is a chance it's something more serious and if not it's still something you're probably going to need help getting rid of if it's not gone already. Normal stomach aches will usually pass or improve in a couple of days. If they do not improve or they get worse it can be an indicator of something unpleasant causing it. Probably still not serious though so don't worry.
btw if you are bleeding or having increased pain when you poo/ pee, having pain in your back or left side or you have been or felt sick or feverish because of it be sure to mention that too.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by BlakMan

Where abouts on your tummy is the pain? In the middle? On the sides? All over? Does it get worse or better when you press down on the area? Do you feel anything else e.g. Feeling sick or dizzy? Is the pain any worse or better since it started? 🤔
Reply 7
Original post by Kindred
Call 111 or see a doctor now. I'd tend to call 111 first so you know how urgent an appointment you need. There is a chance it's something more serious and if not it's still something you're probably going to need help getting rid of if it's not gone already. Normal stomach aches will usually pass or improve in a couple of days. If they do not improve or they get worse it can be an indicator of something unpleasant causing it. Probably still not serious though so don't worry.
btw if you are bleeding or having increased pain when you poo/ pee, having pain in your back or left side or you have been or felt sick or feverish because of it be sure to mention that too.

Good luck :smile:

The pain is on the left side of my body, just below my ribs. This morning when I woke up I am still getting the waves of pain but they happen less frequently now. Before they were every ten seconds but now I feel it every half an hour. Because its getting less I might just wait until the end of this week and If its still there I will then go and see the doctor. I have had the flu quite bad the past week too, so I don't know if that will have anything to do with it
Reply 8
Original post by BlakMan
The pain is on the left side of my body, just below my ribs. This morning when I woke up I am still getting the waves of pain but they happen less frequently now. Before they were every ten seconds but now I feel it every half an hour. Because its getting less I might just wait until the end of this week and If its still there I will then go and see the doctor. I have had the flu quite bad the past week too, so I don't know if that will have anything to do with it

Nope. Call 111 or see a doctor now and tell them that you have bad pain in your left side. It can be just normal stomach issues but pain where you have it can also be a sign of apendicitis and you need to make sure that isn't it because it can be very serious. Just go and get it checked to be sure it's not that. Mention the flu too.

If you start to feel sick or be sick, feel dizzy or faint or otherwise extremely unwell call 111 or 999 immediately.

Again it can be nothing so don't freak out, but it is not something you mess about with and you do need to get it checked soon (like today).
Reply 9
Original post by Kindred
Nope. Call 111 or see a doctor now and tell them that you have bad pain in your left side. It can be just normal stomach issues but pain where you have it can also be a sign of apendicitis and you need to make sure that isn't it because it can be very serious. Just go and get it checked to be sure it's not that. Mention the flu too.

If you start to feel sick or be sick, feel dizzy or faint or otherwise extremely unwell call 111 or 999 immediately.

Again it can be nothing so don't freak out, but it is not something you mess about with and you do need to get it checked soon (like today).

I have booked a GP appointment for 3pm today so hopefully I will find out what the problem is. Thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 10
How much alcohol did you drink, and how much alcohol do you drink on a daily basis? (And yes, go see your GP)
Original post by BlakMan
I have booked a GP appointment for 3pm today so hopefully I will find out what the problem is. Thanks for the advice :smile:

Good luck. :smile:
Original post by Kindred
but pain where you have it can also be a sign of apendicitis.

Below the left rib?!
Original post by Etomidate
Below the left rib?!

I realise now that it is said to be the right (I am dyslexic), but it's the first thing my doc checked when I had pain exactly there so they must be dyslexic too. :colondollar:

Can also mean issues like kidney infections, blockages or stuff like that which can get serious so even if it's not a risk of that specifically it's deffinately worth checking. Sorry if I scared you OP, but still worth going to that 3oclock appointment.
Reply 14
Original post by Kindred
Good luck. :smile:

Okay so I have just come back from the appointment. If I am going to be honest the Doctor I saw was kind of useless, all he did was press down on my stomach and ask if it hurt. I told him about the flu and the load music but he said that he doesn't think it had anything to do with it. He then said he has no clue what the problem was but because It is hurting less each day I should't worry about it. I found this was pretty useless advice but I guess he's the Doctor, not me.
Original post by BlakMan
Okay so I have just come back from the appointment. If I am going to be honest the Doctor I saw was kind of useless, all he did was press down on my stomach and ask if it hurt. I told him about the flu and the load music but he said that he doesn't think it had anything to do with it. He then said he has no clue what the problem was but because It is hurting less each day I should't worry about it. I found this was pretty useless advice but I guess he's the Doctor, not me.

That's the problem with doctors, when it's good news they can sound kinda useless. Once they know it's nothing serious I don't think they necessarily bother to think what it is (or maybe just forget to tell you).
Sounds like you have nothing to worry about though. If your bowel movements are off you might like to try something to resolve that and it might help the pain (constipation can cause some pretty nasty pain sometimes). Otherwise take painkillers and keep an eye on it. If it gets worse or still concerns you down the line you can go back.

That is where some people get IBS pain, so it may be that something has irritated your digestive system in a simmilar way. One good thing for stomach pain can be peppermint (you can get tablets or tea) which relaxes the cramping muscles. You could also try eating a slightly bland diet for a whille and see if that helps.
Heat pads and warm baths can also be good. You might find that a pharmacist can give you some good pain relief advice too.

Sorry you're stuck with no answers and hope you feel better soon. :smile:
Original post by BlakMan

I love it how some patients are disappointed to be told there's nothing wrong with them.
Reply 17
Original post by Kindred
That's the problem with doctors, when it's good news they can sound kinda useless. Once they know it's nothing serious I don't think they necessarily bother to think what it is (or maybe just forget to tell you).
Sounds like you have nothing to worry about though. If your bowel movements are off you might like to try something to resolve that and it might help the pain (constipation can cause some pretty nasty pain sometimes). Otherwise take painkillers and keep an eye on it. If it gets worse or still concerns you down the line you can go back.

That is where some people get IBS pain, so it may be that something has irritated your digestive system in a simmilar way. One good thing for stomach pain can be peppermint (you can get tablets or tea) which relaxes the cramping muscles. You could also try eating a slightly bland diet for a whille and see if that helps.
Heat pads and warm baths can also be good. You might find that a pharmacist can give you some good pain relief advice too.

Sorry you're stuck with no answers and hope you feel better soon. :smile:

Thanks :smile: yeah I'll try the peppermint tea the shop near me sell it. I guess if the pains getting less I understand what the doctor meant by it being nothing to worry about
Reply 18
Original post by Etomidate
I love it how some patients are disappointed to be told there's nothing wrong with them.

Haha yeah, I just felt like he might have missed something, but its getting less now anyway so I guess he is right
No-one on this forum is properly qualified to diagnose you, particularly over the internet. See your doctor.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest