The Student Room Group

Omfg my personal statement sent with an error in

This poll is closed

What do you think the Universites will think, GENUINELY?

what the ****, what a ****ing idiot rejected, clearly not capable of medicine. 26%
err, we'll just judge based off the rest 24%
HIGHLY unlikely to make a difference50%
Total votes: 34
Im really ****ing worried.

I swapped a phrase around with the librarian who checks our applications just before it was sent off, and i left a random "As" in the sentence from the phrase that I swapped.

It doesn't fit. At the time i read the paragraph over twice as but ive checked my personal statement so many times I didn't notice. I just went on UCAS to check if it processed and SAW THIS MISTAKE !!!

WILL I GET REJECTED FROM MY CHOSEN MED SCHOOLS BECAUSE OF THIS ONE STUPID ERROR IM LITERALLY CRYING RN!!
Please help someone

the "As" destroys the english of that whole sentence they'll be like what the **** this woman is illiterate
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thank you for reminding me to triple check!
I am sure it'll be fine tho
Reply 2
Original post by Glib
Thank you for reminding me to triple check!
I am sure it'll be fine tho

100% sure? or are you just saying that...

it's a medical application... the fact that there's such a stupid flaw in it is just unacceptable to me and now I don't know what to do
Has your teacher still yet to write your reference?

A few years ago I remember one girl being given the chance to edit hers by the teacher writing her reference. I don't know the specifics I'm afraid. I just remember her commenting that she had received it back and got to read the reference our philosophy teacher had written her - and she wasn't happy with it. :tongue:

Long-story short: ask the teacher writing your reference if there is a way you can amend it before it's sent off. No guarantee that will work as what I'm referring to was back in 2011 and my memory regarding it is a little hazy. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by sinfonietta
Has your teacher still yet to write your reference?

A few years ago I remember one girl being given the chance to edit hers by the teacher writing her reference. I don't know the specifics I'm afraid. I just remember her commenting that she had received it back and got to read the reference our philosophy teacher had written her - and she wasn't happy with it. :tongue:

Long-story short: ask the teacher writing your reference if there is a way you can amend it before it's sent off. No guarantee that will work as what I'm referring to was back in 2011 and my memory regarding it is a little hazy. :smile:

yeah this was the second send button, the first time I pressed send it goes to the school but then I went over it in school and made the change before our student support sent it to UCAS properly with my reference, predicted grades etc ... :/
Reply 5
Original post by medhelp
yeah this was the second send button, the first time I pressed send it goes to the school but then I went over it in school and made the change before our student support sent it to UCAS properly with my reference, predicted grades etc ... :/

What message do you get when you log into Apply?
Reply 6
Original post by Juno
What message do you get when you log into Apply?

Your application has been sent to UCAS and will be processed shortly. After it has been processed, we will send you a welcome letter and a booklet in the post; they will explain what happens next. Once you have the letter, you can log in to Track at ucas.com to check the progress of your application. Log in with the Personal ID on your welcome letter as this number may have changed since sending your application.

I also already got an email from UCAS saying they got it.
I would probably call up the universities and tell them about the slight mistake. I'm sure they wouldn't reject you solely on that and they'll probably appreciate it's a difficult process
Reply 8
Original post by medhelp
Your application has been sent to UCAS and will be processed shortly. After it has been processed, we will send you a welcome letter and a booklet in the post; they will explain what happens next. Once you have the letter, you can log in to Track at ucas.com to check the progress of your application. Log in with the Personal ID on your welcome letter as this number may have changed since sending your application.

I also already got an email from UCAS saying they got it.

Yes, it's definitely been sent then.

You have two options. You can either realise this is a very small mistake and is unlikely to make a difference. Or, you can contact ucas to get your application withdrawn, make a new ucas account, fill in all the information again, and send a new application
Reply 9
Original post by Juno

You have two options. You can either realise this is a very small mistake and is unlikely to make a difference. Or, you can contact ucas to get your application withdrawn, make a new ucas account, fill in all the information again, and send a new application

how big is the chance that it'll make a difference though? You said unlikely... :cry2:

Wooah is the bolded possible? Won't the unis see that a person with the same information withdrew and then reapplied?
Reply 10
Original post by Juno

also how long do I have to withdraw it?
Original post by medhelp
also how long do I have to withdraw it?

If you withdraw your application you will be banned from reapplying within the same application cycle. DO NOT withdraw your application if you do not want to take a gap year
Reply 12
Original post by super_kawaii
If you withdraw your application you will be banned from reapplying within the same application cycle. DO NOT withdraw your application if you do not want to take a gap year

Thank you so much for telling me this... dear god.
Reply 13
Original post by Manisha__06
I would probably call up the universities and tell them about the slight mistake. I'm sure they wouldn't reject you solely on that and they'll probably appreciate it's a difficult process

how can I call them up when I don't even know if they've got it yet?

Also what a horrible way to start out, oh hi yeah I haven't even started university yet and I've already messed it up, please offer me a place :cry2:
Try contact UCAS instead of the universities perhaps, and see if anything can be done? It's better to just ask than to worry and speculate.*
Reply 15
You're overthinking it pal, if youre a strong enough candidate grammar mistake aside then it's absurd your unis will reject you based on that mistake. Med schools aren't that stingy lol your whole life up till this point and future career isn't defined by that one time you mistyped a word
Reply 16
Original post by sinfonietta
Try contact UCAS instead of the universities perhaps, and see if anything can be done? It's better to just ask than to worry and speculate.*

okay I just called them up and they said I'd have to withdraw the whole thing within 14 days and can still reapply the same year, (So until the 15th this year). However, the application has already been sent to the universities etc, I'm going to speak to my school tomorrow and see what I should do.

@super_kawaii
(edited 7 years ago)
You're as completely overthinking it imo

I appreciate why you're worried but I think you'll be fine :smile:
Original post by medhelp
okay I just called them up and they said I'd have to withdraw the whole thing within 14 days and can still reapply the same year, (So until the 15th this year). However, the application has already been sent to the universities etc, I'm going to speak to my school tomorrow and see what I should do.

@super_kawaii

If you withdraw and reapply, surely you'll miss the deadline for medicine applications which is this Saturday?*
It's obvious to you but will probably be overlooked by 3/4 of the admissions tutors. In most cases, they will be so fatigued that their approach will be to scan the statement for key words to get a feel for your stated motivation, work experience, extracurricular achievements, etc. They are unlikely to read it carefully or care very much if they spot a single error in an otherwise carefully drafted statement.

I read my personal statement 100x before it was submitted and still managed to include the word "causalities" instead of "casualties".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending