The Student Room Group

Computer Science vs Information Technology/Systems?

Which course, and why?
In terms of:
-Jobs
-Salary
-Content
-Use in the real world
-Etc.
Whichever one is more interesting to you. All this info can be found online so just go a quick compare :smile:
Original post by Hackerman
Which course, and why?
In terms of:
-Jobs
-Salary
-Content
-Use in the real world
-Etc.

- CompSci gives you a stronger fundamental backing in theory/algos and data structures for any of the technical jobs at more desirable tech companies (Google, FB, Microsoft, amazon, Uber etc) And generally having a stronger foundation makes you a better software engineer as you have an idea of complexity and efficiency of your programs as well as how to test properly.

- Irrelevant depends on the job you land, but as I said with a CS degree you'll be more ahead than someone with an IT degree for the more desirable (read: better paying) jobs

- CS content is a mix of theory, maths, software engineering paradigms and programming. IT is usually databases and database systems, maybe a bit of programming, all-in-all focused more on systems and how business integrates IT rather than anything technical

- depends on your skill and what you want to do 'in the world'

Overall, I would go for CS. Unless you're 100% sure you want to be a database admin, or systems analyst or whatever.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Accounting
Reply 4
Original post by Princepieman
- CompSci gives you a stronger fundamental backing in theory/algos and data structures for any of the technical jobs at more desirable tech companies (Google, FB, Microsoft, amazon, Uber etc) And generally having a stronger foundation makes you a better software engineer as you have an idea of complexity and efficiency of your programs as well as how to test properly.

- Irrelevant depends on the job you land, but as I said with a CS degree you'll be more ahead than someone with an IT degree for the more desirable (read: better paying) jobs

- CS content is a mix of theory, maths, software engineering paradigms and programming. IT is usually databases and database systems, maybe a bit of programming, all-in-all focused more on systems and how business integrates IT rather than anything technical

- depends on your skill and what you want to do 'in the world'

Overall, I would go for CS. Unless you're 100% sure you want to be a database admin, or systems analyst or whatever.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the reply, man. You gave me lots of info. You say that a CS degree gets you better paying jobs than IT but an IT Consultant for example gets paid more than a Software Engineer?

Personally, I'm more interested in CS but the jobs after IT seem better?

I've also heard that companies are starting to out-source Software Engineers etc to places like India so wouldnt that mean IT is better to follow?

Thanks, dude.
Thank you for the reply, man. You gave me lots of info. You say that a CS degree gets you better paying jobs than IT but an IT Consultant for example gets paid more than a Software Engineer?

Personally, I'm more interested in CS but the jobs after IT seem better?

I've also heard that companies are starting to out-source Software Engineers etc to places like India so wouldnt that mean IT is better to follow?

Thanks, dude.

Lol, IT consultants don't make more than good software engineers...

Let me just summarise: a CS degree can get you almost any technical job out ther whether that is IT consulting, software engineering, product management whatever but it's also a respected degree in its own right that won't look out of place on an application to say an investment banking or trading internship programme.

Imo, I don't really see the point in doing IT. It's like comparing engineering to engineering tech, just completely different courses with the former being more rigourous and preparing you better in both theory AND practice if you make the most of your time at uni.

Outsourcing is for low level, non-skilled jobs, just as in any industry.
Reply 6
Lol, IT consultants don't make more than good software engineers...

Let me just summarise: a CS degree can get you almost any technical job out ther whether that is IT consulting, software engineering, product management whatever but it's also a respected degree in its own right that won't look out of place on an application to say an investment banking or trading internship programme.

Imo, I don't really see the point in doing IT. It's like comparing engineering to engineering tech, just completely different courses with the former being more rigourous and preparing you better in both theory AND practice if you make the most of your time at uni.

Outsourcing is for low level, non-skilled jobs, just as in any industry.

So I can basically get any technical job with CS? Whilst IT limits me to some jobs? Thats good to know, thanks.

Also:

IT Consultant Avg. Salary: http://www.payscale.com/research/UK/Job=Information_Technology_(IT)_Consultant/Salary

Software Engineer:http://www.payscale.com/research/UK/Job=Software_Engineer/Salary

IT Consultant also seems to rise to 79k but Software Engineer goes up to 55k??
So I can basically get any technical job with CS? Whilst IT limits me to some jobs? Thats good to know, thanks.

Also:

IT Consultant Avg. Salary: http://www.payscale.com/research/UK/Job=Information_Technology_(IT)_Consultant/Salary

Software Engineer:http://www.payscale.com/research/UK/Job=Software_Engineer/Salary

IT Consultant also seems to rise to 79k but Software Engineer goes up to 55k??

Yes, because CS is better preparation.

Ok, that's cool and all but showing me a Payscale average isn't going to exactly help, I know both consultants and people at the likes of FB, Google etc and I can 100% tell you after looking at their offer letters who is doing better - the latter.

Case in point, someone starting at Deloitte in IT Consulting as a Business Tech Analyst is going to be on ~£32k. Someone starting at Google as a Software Engineer II (L3) will be on ~£55k base, 15% bonus, ~£20k stock per year or ~£83k all told. Banks pay ~£35-45k + £2-5k bonus to their new technology analysts etc.. you get the picture.

As I said, pay is irrelevant. It's almost 100% tied to the location, job type and company and not anything to do with your degree.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Yes, because CS is better preparation.

Ok, that's cool and all but showing me a Payscale average isn't going to exactly help, I know both consultants and people at the likes of FB, Google etc and I can 100% tell you after looking at their offer letters who is doing better - the latter.

Case in point, someone starting at Deloitte in IT Consulting as a Business Tech Analyst is going to be on ~£32k. Someone starting at Google as a Software Engineer II (L3) will be on ~£55k base, 15% bonus, ~£20k stock per year or ~£83k all told. Banks pay ~£35-45k + £2-5k bonus to their new technology analysts etc.. you get the picture.

As I said, pay is irrelevant. It's almost 100% tied to the location, job type and company and not anything to do with your degree.

But its famously known that its very hard to work at places like Google/FB, however it would be amazing. I feel like IT is the safer route as you're guaranteed to work as a Consultant for a semi-decent company and get some good pay. In order to put your CS degree into good use (in terms of money), you'll need to work for one of the big companies, which is hard to do??
But its famously known that its very hard to work at places like Google/FB, however it would be amazing. I feel like IT is the safer route as you're guaranteed to work as a Consultant for a semi-decent company and get some good pay. In order to put your CS degree into good use (in terms of money), you'll need to work for one of the big companies, which is hard to do??

If you work as a consultant for a 'semi-decent' company (examples?) your progression upwards wouldn't be that high in terms of pay anyway.

I think you're underestimating how hard it is to get a job at any well paying firm - it is HARD. All the big IT consulting firms out there have rigourous processes which you'll have to go through and they won't be easy let alone guaranteed.

IT as a degree doesn't guarantee squat, neither does CS, neither does Engineering, neither does History - all of them however give you the opportunity to do something after you're done with uni. Doesn't mean you'll be good enough to get a job, or that you'll actually put in the effort into your CV at uni to get the interview or that you'll even perform well at interview.

IMO, I think, as a degree you are better off doing CS as it opens more doors and is a much more versatile subject in its own right. iT simply isn't that interesting a subject and I don't think it prepares you as well in the problem solving front, at least as well as CS does.

Nothing is guaranted.
Pfft, you can't call yourself "Hackerman" and study IT, that's what script kiddies do! A true "Hackerman" creates his own programs, computer science bro!

And of course a consultant is going to earn more than an engineer, consultants almost always do.
Reply 12
If you work as a consultant for a 'semi-decent' company (examples?) your progression upwards wouldn't be that high in terms of pay anyway.

I think you're underestimating how hard it is to get a job at any well paying firm - it is HARD. All the big IT consulting firms out there have rigourous processes which you'll have to go through and they won't be easy let alone guaranteed.

IT as a degree doesn't guarantee squat, neither does CS, neither does Engineering, neither does History - all of them however give you the opportunity to do something after you're done with uni. Doesn't mean you'll be good enough to get a job, or that you'll actually put in the effort into your CV at uni to get the interview or that you'll even perform well at interview.

IMO, I think, as a degree you are better off doing CS as it opens more doors and is a much more versatile subject in its own right. iT simply isn't that interesting a subject and I don't think it prepares you as well in the problem solving front, at least as well as CS does.

Thanks for all the insight.
Mind if I ask what level in education you're in and what you're doing etc?

I'm currently in college and unsure on what to do at Uni.
Reply 13
Original post by MasterJack
Pfft, you can't call yourself "Hackerman" and study IT, that's what script kiddies do! A true "Hackerman" creates his own programs, computer science bro!

And of course a consultant is going to earn more than an engineer, consultants almost always do.

Dude I'm in college give me a break lmao :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending