The Student Room Group

Oxford A101(2017 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tsar101
What your lecturer said is 100% wrong and utter nonsense(it was the case however about 10-15 years ago). Look at link a few posts up which may provide you with some answer. Oxford kind of ranks students based on BMAT primariy, so he can't really say your application is weaker compared to your previous colleagues as you have not taken the exam yet. But do keep in mind that it is still super competitive. In order to stand a chance your BMAT score needs to be in the top quarter of the applicant pool (or in the top 40% provided your academic portfolio is amazing and it shows pressing evidence that the BMAT score was just a blip).

Good Luck!

That is what I thought too! I had seen that FOI myself and believed it was a good choice for me personally!

My stats:7 A*s & 3 As at GCSE
ABB at A Level
Predicted a First in Biomedical Sciences

My one weakness in my application is my A Levels and I'm willing to try my best with the BMAT to see how it all goes! But he really strongly advises me I have no chance because people with 'stronger' profiles than me applied and didn't get a place.I feel very torn now!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by NewVivacity
That is what I thought too! I had seen that FOI myself and believed it was a good choice for me personally!

ABB at A Level

My one weakness in my application is my A Levels and I'm willing to try my best with the BMAT to see how it all goes! But he really strongly advises me I have no chance because people with 'stronger' profiles than me applied and didn't get a place.I feel very torn now!

Trust me, I have the same A-level grade as you and the same predictions. We both stand a good chance and it is wholy dependent on the BMAT for both of us.

Let us hope the BMAT goes smoothly for us!

Everything is still in our hands and everything is still to play for :smile:

Also, are you including your predicted degree grade on Oxford's application form? I am quite confused by this. It feels wrong to leave it empty :/

This is what gave me hope and I hope this helps you:

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/accelerated/faqs/will-my-poor-a-level-results-count-against-me
Good Luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tsar101
Trust me, I have the same A-level grade as you and the same predictions. We both stand a good chance and it is wholy dependent on the BMAT for both of us.

Let us hope the BMAT goes smoothly for us!

Everything is still in our hands and everything is still to play for :smile:

Also, are you including your predicted degree grade on Oxford's application form? I am quite confused by this. It feels wrong to leave it empty :/

This is what gave me hope and I hope this helps you:

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/accelerated/faqs/will-my-poor-a-level-results-count-against-me
Good Luck!

Thank you! I'm just worried that they may favour people with more research experience, if you know what I mean!

I definitely agree though, it's still something to play for!

I haven't included the prediction in the form itself, but I have told my academic tutor to include it in their reference! Good luck to you too and thank you for your kind words!
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi guys!
I'm applying to Oxford as well!
How did you write your personal statement for the separate Oxford application? Did you just use the UCAS one and add a paragraph on why you want to study at Oxford, or you did you write a completely new personal statement ?
Original post by NewVivacity

ABB at A Level

hey, can you send me a link to the FOI?
Original post by mattgreg24
Hi guys!
How did you write your personal statement for the separate Oxford application? Did you just use the UCAS one and add a paragraph on why you want to study at Oxford, or you did you write a completely new personal statement ?

I'm using the same one just adding why oxford.
Hi guys,

I know you're not admissions but do you think it's worth applying?
A-levels ABB (Biology, Chemistry, Physics) and A* equivalent in Cambrige Pre U
Got 69% (2.i) in second year Biomed, non-Russell group uni.
Would love to apply but don't want to waste a choice on a no-chance uni when my UKCAT was fairly high (8th decile) as ultimately aim is to study medicine! I know how competitive Grad Entry is :/
Reply 27
Hey guys,
I'm also applying for Oxford A101. I was wondering if there are any disadvantages for expressing a preference for a heavily subscribed college. I'm tossing between Magdalen and Harris Manchester.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by mattgreg24
Hi guys!

I am using the same one.
Reply 29
Original post by tuj1
Hey guys,
I'm also applying for Oxford A101. I was wondering if there are any disadvantages for expressing a preference for a heavily subscribed college. I'm tossing between Magdalen and Harris Manchester.

I don't think there is a disadvantage. The admissions will even out the applications between the colleges if one particular college is oversubscribed.
Reply 30
Original post by Lostperson
hey, can you send me a link to the FOI?

The link is on page one of this thread :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by Tsar101
I don't think there is a disadvantage. The admissions will even out the applications between the colleges if one particular college is oversubscribed.

Ah okay. Thanks :smile:

Original post by tuj1
Hey guys,

There is the disadvantage of being more likely to end up in the pool and at a random college not of your choosing.

Otherwise no.
Reply 33
Hi!
I was wondering if anyone had formatting issues with the supplementary application form.
I can't change the fonts to make everything fit nicely in the box. :frown:
Hey guys! What's the BMAT Candidate Number meant to look like?
Reply 35
Original post by xloichan
Hi guys,

I know you're not admissions but do you think it's worth applying?
A-levels ABB (Biology, Chemistry, Physics) and A* equivalent in Cambrige Pre U
Got 69% (2.i) in second year Biomed, non-Russell group uni.
Would love to apply but don't want to waste a choice on a no-chance uni when my UKCAT was fairly high (8th decile) as ultimately aim is to study medicine! I know how competitive Grad Entry is :/

If your UKCAT is above ~720 then just apply to UKCAT universities. You will have a good chance with Warwick in particular as they interview a lot of students. As ironic as it may sound, I am only applying to Oxford because my application will not be competitive elsewhere because of my low UKCAT score(670 average). It's a very risk manouvre but I don't have much of a choice. I am only taking the BMAT to maximise my chances.
Reply 36
Do they discriminate against a levels? What's the minimum?
Original post by Tsar101
If your UKCAT is above ~720 then just apply to UKCAT universities. You will have a good chance with Warwick in particular as they interview a lot of students. As ironic as it may sound, I am only applying to Oxford because my application will not be competitive elsewhere because of my low UKCAT score(670 average). It's a very risk manouvre but I don't have much of a choice. I am only taking the BMAT to maximise my chances.

8th decile isn't above 720.

i have 700 and in the 9th.

I feel like Oxford is a risky choice cause of the BMAT...
I started revising today.
Reply 38
Original post by Lostperson
8th decile isn't above 720.

i have 700 and in the 9th.

I feel like Oxford is a risky choice cause of the BMAT...
I started revising today.

Oops my bad.

Yep it is a risky choice but the more entrance exams you do the more chances one gets to get a good score in atleast 1 entrance exam. That's why I did all the available entrance exams.

Yeah, I'm starting tomorrow evening with BMAT prep because I just want to get my personal statement out of the way. After that, it's total devotion to the BMAT :smile:
Original post by Tsar101
Oops my bad.

Yep it is a risky choice but the more entrance exams you do the more chances one gets to get a good score in atleast 1 entrance exam. That's why I did all the available entrance exams.

Yeah, I'm starting tomorrow evening with BMAT prep because I just want to get my personal statement out of the way. After that, it's total devotion to the BMAT :smile:

same. Are you writing a new one for Oxford? Also one of my references haven't even gotten back to me yet.

2 have sent it. Do you think 2 academic and one personal (manager at care home).
would be fine?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending