The Student Room Group

Personal Statement DISASTER

Hi,

After checking Track, I scrolled down to see my personal statement. Unfortunately, despite appearing perfectly normal in the Apply preview, the last paragraph of the statement looks like this:

(line space for para)
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaa

(with the as counting for words)

What can I do? If my personal statement was actually submitted like this, it would have exceeded the line requirement. Will universities know that this isn't my fault?

I'd really appreciate any and all help - I'm ringing up UCAS tomorrow morning, but I'm panicking a bit at the moment, especially because the LSE have already confirmed receiving my application.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jasaron
Hi,

After checking Track, I scrolled down to see my personal statement. Unfortunately, despite appearing perfectly normal in the Apply preview, the last paragraph of the statement looks like this:

(line space for para)
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaa

What can I do? If my personal statement was actually submitted like this, it wouldn't have met the line requirement. Will universities know that this isn't my fault?

I'd really appreciate any and all help - I'm ringing up UCAS tomorrow morning, but I'm panicking a bit at the moment, especially because the LSE have already confirmed receiving my application.

Relax, Just contact UCAS and all will be fine. My brother forgot to paste in a paragraph and managed to get his personal statement recalled. Ironically, this was for Oxford(and even more ironically, he was accepted).
Original post by Jasaron
Hi,

(line space for para)
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaa

What can I do? If my personal statement was actually submitted like this, it wouldn't have met the line requirement. Will universities know that this isn't my fault?

If you exceeded the 47 line requirement, everything after that line would be deleted automatically and universities wouldn't see it. I think you'll have about 7 days to change anything in your application after you've submitted it so call them asap!
Original post by swopnil
If you exceeded the 47 line requirement, everything after that line would be deleted automatically and universities wouldn't see it. I think you'll have about 7 days to change anything in your application after you've submitted it so call them asap!

I didn't exceed the 47 line limit. I'm saying that if I had submitted it in the way Track is showing it, it would have exceeded the limit.

Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Relax, Just contact UCAS and all will be fine. My brother forgot to paste in a paragraph and managed to get his personal statement recalled. Ironically, this was for Oxford(and even more ironically, he was accepted).

Thanks. I was (am) a bit worried by their FAQs, which say that you can't change the statement post-submission. Your post has reassured me somewhat - thank you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jasaron
I didn't exceed the 47 line limit. I'm saying that if I had submitted it in the way Track is showing it, it would have exceeded the limit.

Thanks. I was (am) a bit worried by their FAQs, which say that you can't change the statement post-submission. Your post has reassured me somewhat - thank you.

If there is something wrong with PS, you can cancel your application within 7 days and reapply to the universities again with amended personal statement. Please check with them first tho.

Btw, did UCAS let you save your personal statement? If you could then your PS would've been under 47 line limit and it could've just been a glitch in track! Calling them tomorrow would be a good idea!
Original post by swopnil
If there is something wrong with PS, you can cancel your application within 7 days and reapply to the universities again with amended personal statement. Please check with them first tho.

Btw, did UCAS let you save your personal statement? If you could then your PS would've been under 47 line limit and it could've just been a glitch in track! Calling them tomorrow would be a good idea!

I was able to save my PS, and it looked totally fine in the preview. I'll definitely call them tomorrow, thanks.
Reply 6
Your PS is shown the way it was in apply when you clicked preview. The version shown in track is just for reference and won't be formatted correctly. There's nothing to worry about
Original post by Juno
Your PS is shown the way it was in apply when you clicked preview. The version shown in track is just for reference and won't be formatted correctly. There's nothing to worry about

This

Track is a heap of **** in the way it displays PSs.
Original post by Juno

Original post by PQ
This

Track is a heap of **** in the way it displays PSs.

Thanks! I rang UCAS up today, and they were helpful once I'd explained to them that I wasn't complaining about the lines (I placed) in between paragraphs, but the weird format of the last paragraph.

I'm reassured now! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending