The Student Room Group

Computing with Management

Hi,

I am looking for some advice for a university course.

I am hoping to study Computer Science at University but I've come across a similar degree - Computing with Management, available at most of the Uni's I'm hoping of applying to.

The information for this course shows that it mixes the standard computer science degree with applications for business such as project management and finance. The course is evenly split between the two.

I am hoping to progress to commercial/business-type computer science work in the future and the Uni pages all say that these 'hybrid' skills are useful to businesses.

However, will I miss some of the more 'technical' aspects of the computing course by going for the management option, which may limit my options later on?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply 1
@LeuanJones7

I've been looking at the exact same thing - Computing interests me but only certain modules so I found Computing and Management. Some Unis are flexible on how much of each subject you do so it can be like 50:50 or like 70:30. With Computing though you usually have to take the basic modules as more complex ones rely upon you doing them. Not doing the more complex modules shouldn't limit you that much as you can always learn about them after Uni but your best bet is to call admissions tutors and see what they say about specifics :smile:

Some Natural science degrees cover the same thing so it might be worth looking at that, depends on what interests you?

hope this helped a bit!
Reply 2
Original post by Mike173
@LeuanJones7

I've been looking at the exact same thing - Computing interests me but only certain modules so I found Computing and Management. Some Unis are flexible on how much of each subject you do so it can be like 50:50 or like 70:30. With Computing though you usually have to take the basic modules as more complex ones rely upon you doing them. Not doing the more complex modules shouldn't limit you that much as you can always learn about them after Uni but your best bet is to call admissions tutors and see what they say about specifics :smile:

Some Natural science degrees cover the same thing so it might be worth looking at that, depends on what interests you?

hope this helped a bit!

Thanks for the reply, I've had a look at the course in a bit more detail, and I've decided to leave this one and I'm looking to do a standard Computer Science degree instead.

Having looked over the content and speaking with my current computing lecturer, I've found that the course cuts out too much of the important computing modules and replacing them with business modules such as accountancy and marketing which really don't interest me!

If the course was a 70:30 or similar ratio between Computing and Business I'd seriously consider it but its a 50:50 split which is too much of the computing work taken out for me.
Reply 3
Original post by IeuanJones7

Thanks for the reply, I've had a look at the course in a bit more detail, and I've decided to leave this one and I'm looking to do a standard Computer Science degree instead.

Having looked over the content and speaking with my current computing lecturer, I've found that the course cuts out too much of the important computing modules and replacing them with business modules such as accountancy and marketing which really don't interest me!

If the course was a 70:30 or similar ratio between Computing and Business I'd seriously consider it but its a 50:50 split which is too much of the computing work taken out for me.

Sounds like you got it sorted! What courses were you looking at for Comp-Management and Pure Computing?
Reply 4
Original post by Mike173
Sounds like you got it sorted! What courses were you looking at for Comp-Management and Pure Computing?

Currently looking at Computing Science at East Anglia (UEA), they're course looks really good with some interesting modules.

Also considering Computer Science at Swansea, Reading and Nottingham. :smile:
Original post by IeuanJones7
Currently looking at Computing Science at East Anglia (UEA), they're course looks really good with some interesting modules.

That's good to hear! Take a look at our video below, and if you've not yet visited we have an Open Day on 22 October - www.uea.ac.uk/opendays

[video="youtube;pW4ulxZqLD8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW4ulxZqLD8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending