The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stephaniex
Hi guys! My name is Stephanie I live in London and school there.
The GCSEs I am doing are:

Maths
English
Triple Science
French
History
Geography
ICT

Last year I did all of these subjects except for the fact I did Computing instead of ICT, however my school is not doing Computing this year as there are too many students (only 3 girls and lots of boys). I do not know the board of any of my subjects yet, but we have regular exams every half-term or after every new topic learnt. Next year we sit our mocks which I am already worried about.

Overall, my major concern is the amount of workload I have and how I am going to balance everything and be able to revise and actually understand everything. This is proving very difficult at the moment. Tips on how to revise and balance everything will be greatly appreciated!(Especially in the subjects I am doing for GCSE.)

Anyone else really feeling the pressure? :smile:

For French, I revise by using menrise. You find your course and on it there are all the words that may appear on your reading and listening exam

For History, I revise all the topics I did last year (I'm sitting exams this year) by doing a giant poster in one colour and then add anything I missed in another

For Maths, I do a GCSE paper every month and any topic which we covered that I got wrong, I review.

For Triple Science, I use the cpg textbooks and bitesize.

For Geography, Flicking back through my book and making flash cards with key words is what I do.

For English, rereading texts that we learnt will sort of keep my memory fresh
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sardonic Zarah
For French, I revise by using menrise. You find your course and on it there are all the words that may appear on your reading and writing exam

For History, I revise all the topics I did last year (I'm sitting exams this year) by doing a giant poster in one colour and then add anything I missed in another

For Maths, I do a GCSE paper every month and any topic which we covered that I got wrong, I review.

For Geography, Flicking back through my book and making flash cards with key words is what I do.

I don't take French (I do Spanish and Welsh instead) but I agree that memrise is a good app. However, I prefer duolingo. It teachers different vocabulary and sentence patterns but in a game type of form. There is also a feature where you can have proper conversations 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
For French, I revise by using menrise. You find your course and on it there are all the words that may appear on your reading and writing exam

Oh my goodness these techniques are really helpful and I am definitely going to start using these revision techniques.
Thank you so much! :smile:
Original post by Alexemmamay3101
I don't take French (I do Spanish and Welsh instead) but I agree that memrise is a good app. However, I prefer duolingo. It teachers different vocabulary and sentence patterns but in a game type of form. There is also a feature where you can have proper conversations 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doesn't duoligo sometimes form really weird sentences 😂
Doesn't duoligo sometimes form really weird sentences 😂

Sometimes but you get used to it 😂😅

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's everyone doing in maths?
I'm currently doing trig and surds
Woah, I haven't been on this thread in a while. I'm doing surds in maths at the moment. I'm finding them pretty easy, lol
Original post by MartynaJP6
Woah, I haven't been on this thread in a while. I'm doing surds in maths at the moment. I'm finding them pretty easy, lol

Do you have sets in maths, I know some schools don't and that seems awful
Original post by bengaltiger_
We had an eng exam today too. We get 1hr, 30min today, 30min tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh good luck was it about inspector calls ?:smile:

we did but now we have finished and doing simultaneous equation everything in maths is easy for me because i have a tutor XD:tongue:
Yup and I have just started area in shapes and volume I'm in top set btw and its proving very difficult, of course I have done area and volume before but this is a level work we have started now. :frown: @Sardonic Zarah
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Stephaniex
Yup and I have just started area in shapes and volume I'm in top set btw and its proving very difficult, of course I have done area and volume before but this is a level work we have started now. :frown: @Sardonic Zarah

I think I can only deal with number topics in maths, shapes, graphs etc are just so much effort. Are you with AQA
Getting so stressed right now because of my anxiety, I have my unit one English language in November and my unit one English lit in Jan. Advice?

On another note anyone else had lots of test lately? The only results I have had back so far are:
Spanish: A
Chemistry: A
Biology: A*
I'm getting two maths tests and a physics back next week and feel like I've done terrible :frown:
How's everyone else doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Getting so stressed right now because of my anxiety, I have my unit one English language in November and my unit one English lit in Jan. Advice?

On another note anyone else had lots of test lately? The only results I have had back so far are:
Spanish: A
Chemistry: A
Biology: A*
I'm getting two maths tests and a physics back next week and feel like I've done terrible :frown:
How's everyone else doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For your exams, just give 100%, that's all anyone can ask of you. Based on your other results, I bet you'll smash your English exams
Do you have sets in maths, I know some schools don't and that seems awful

We do, we only have sets in maths though. Im in set 1 :biggrin:
We have sets but only for maths but it has a big affect as your maths class determines your English and science classes. I'm in the top set :smile:
My school has sets for maths and I guess you could say science is set as only the top two sets from year 9 could do triple. English isn't set and I think that that is the worst thing to ever happen. People predicted to get 4s in a class with people aiming for 9s is just not a good idea.
We do, we only have sets in maths though. Im in set 1 :biggrin:

We have sets in maths English and science. However triple science was an option this year and lots of people chose it as it was the 'only OK thing in the column' so I'm in class full of people who hate science and some are predicted Ds (not that that's bad I just think they shouldn't be in triple!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
We have sets in maths English and science. However triple science was an option this year and lots of people chose it as it was the 'only OK thing in the column' so I'm in class full of people who hate science and some are predicted Ds (not that that's bad I just think they shouldn't be in triple!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the same thing with my French class, people thought you had to take a language when you don't. I actually love French but it's sad when I'm in a class where most people are doing it because they have to

Posted from TSR Mobile

I found out on Friday that I'm predicted a 9 for Chemistry... I was never expecting it, now I know I really need to get myself together and proper work hard!

Latest