The Student Room Group

Help with applying to uni for Economics

There are probably a lot of these posts but I hope more opinions/knowledge on the subject will help me to make a decision. I'm currently on a gap year and my A level results were:
- A* in Maths and Further Maths
- A in Physics and German
I also achieved 12 A* at GCSE. So far I'm currently leaning towards applying to UCL, Bristol and Leeds as choices to study Economics and just wondered if anyone had any advice for other choices, or whether I'd have a chance at getting into UCL? Also, Leeds has lower entry requirements than the others but I absolutely loved the place and have some good friends there - should I choose it or try to aim higher, as it's slightly lower ranked than other universities I'm considering?
Thanks!
Original post by chrishannon09
There are probably a lot of these posts but I hope more opinions/knowledge on the subject will help me to make a decision. I'm currently on a gap year and my A level results were:
I also achieved 12 A* at GCSE. So far I'm currently leaning towards applying to UCL, Bristol and Leeds as choices to study Economics and just wondered if anyone had any advice for other choices, or whether I'd have a chance at getting into UCL? Also, Leeds has lower entry requirements than the others but I absolutely loved the place and have some good friends there - should I choose it or try to aim higher, as it's slightly lower ranked than other universities I'm considering?
Thanks!

Your grades are essentially flawless and your subject combination is very good. So, of course many people will tell you to consider LSE and whatnot, which is great.

But, please keep in mind the importance of actually enjoying your university. The amount of people I've seen who pick the more selective university and end up disliking the culture or the social side of things is surreal. Someone who makes the most of being at a uni they like, such as Leeds, takes advantage of the extracurricular activities available, excels academically and enjoys their experience is ultimately the person who'll go on to get the dream job.

Not trying to put you off. I'm just trying to say that you should make sure the culture of where you're applying is actually something you want. Otherwise, you're going to feel envious of meeting someone in your dream profession who actually went somewhere where they had the best time of their life.
Have you considered Oxford, Cambridge or LSE?
Original post by Exceptional
Your grades are essentially flawless and your subject combination is very good. So, of course many people will tell you to consider LSE and whatnot, which is great.

But, please keep in mind the importance of actually enjoying your university. The amount of people I've seen who pick the more selective university and end up disliking the culture or the social side of things is surreal. Someone who makes the most of being at a uni they like, such as Leeds, takes advantage of the extracurricular activities available, excels academically and enjoys their experience is ultimately the person who'll go on to get the dream job.

Not trying to put you off. I'm just trying to say that you should make sure the culture of where you're applying is actually something you want. Otherwise, you're going to feel envious of meeting someone in your dream profession who actually went somewhere where they had the best time of their life.

Thank you, this is exactly why I haven't chosen to apply to LSE or Oxbridge as I don't think I'd enjoy it - I'm not a workaholic and I'd like to be in a big city. I did have an offer from Warwick last year but again decided it was too small for me. Thanks very much for the advice: I chose Bristol and Leeds because the music scene for the genres I like is amazing there and they're both sick cities.
Original post by hellomynameisr
Have you considered Oxford, Cambridge or LSE?

Decided against Oxbridge as I don't think I'd enjoy it - too small for me and too much onus on work, and I'd prefer to be in a place where there is lots going on in terms of music and visiting DJs etc. Was considering LSE however again I don't think I would enjoy working so hard, and having spoken to a couple of students there I'd rather go elsewhere
Im in a similar situation to you. My economics teacher is someone who I look up to a lot as she has vast experience in the subject and has given me many opportunities to further my understanding. When I told her Leeds would be my first choice she said I should be aiming higher, preferably oxbridge. My parents having heard this have pushed me to aim higher. Im in a situation where Ive applied for 3 unis ranked higher, and with higher entry requirements, than Leeds. If I get offers from any of these theres going to be an awkward decision to make. I understand your situation.
Original post by mrsweg59
Im in a similar situation to you. My economics teacher is someone who I look up to a lot as she has vast experience in the subject and has given me many opportunities to further my understanding. When I told her Leeds would be my first choice she said I should be aiming higher, preferably oxbridge. My parents having heard this have pushed me to aim higher. Im in a situation where Ive applied for 3 unis ranked higher, and with higher entry requirements, than Leeds. If I get offers from any of these theres going to be an awkward decision to make. I understand your situation.

Yeah I'm exactly the same, parents want me to push for a higher ranked uni than Bristol/Leeds but I know that I wouldn't like it! Applied for higher ranked unis last year and got offers from them but I just couldn't imagine living there so declined them. Where did you apply?
I think you've got to remember that Bristol and Leeds are very very good universities and you've done well enough to get in, let alone be in a position where an offer is quite likely.
A little biased, but we'll throw UEA into the mix! Top 15 university (Guardian '17), and consistently ranked in the Top 5 for student satisfaction (NSS) since the survey began. Economics is ranked first for academic support and second for overall student satisfaction (National Student Survey 2016), eighth for research outputs (Times Higher Education REF2014), 100% Employability Success Rate (DLHE 2014/15 - six months post-graduation) and ranked 16th among UK Economics Departments by the Guardian League Table 2017. Plus we're in the fine city of Norwich!

Take a look at our video.

[video="youtube;m4VTuIofWwE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4VTuIofWwE[/video]

Our next Open Day takes place 22 October - www.uea.ac.uk/opendays
Im on a gap year this year with a deferred place to study economics at UCL next year. You'd have a more than realistic chance of getting into UCL with those grades (better than mine) but obviously depends on things like your ps as well. Bristol and Leeds are sick for econ as well (bristol was my back up) and you'd have a sick time in both places so sacrificing a couple places on a league table to be in a city you think you'll prefer to study in is deffo worth it I think.

Original post by chrishannon09
Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending