The Student Room Group

Only applying for London unis

Hello!

So basically, I plan on staying at home during uni so all five of my unis are based in London (only and hour or so on the train) and I was just wondering, does this mean I'm less likely to receive an offer for a university because London is a really populated area so loads of people will be applying for London unis? Or is it okay that I'm applying for only London unis? My choices are Westminster, London Metropolitan, UCL, and a two others to study law

Many Thanks
Samiha
Reply 1
You can probably find out how many people apply for each course on the university's websites. Lots of people in London like to try living elsewhere for a bit, so I wouldn't worry too much about the size of the population.

The high prices in London, plus people who live here wanting to have some variety probably means that it all evens out.

Good luck.
Original post by Samihab
x

Is this a troll? No way are you applying to both UCL and London Met for law.
Reply 3
Original post by sek510i
You can probably find out how many people apply for each course on the university's websites. Lots of people in London like to try living elsewhere for a bit, so I wouldn't worry too much about the size of the population.

The high prices in London, plus people who live here wanting to have some variety probably means that it all evens out.

Good luck.

Thank you for this!! It's really helped me x
Reply 4
Original post by Jasaron
Is this a troll? No way are you applying to both UCL and London Met for law.

Why? What's wrong?? x
Ones good and one erm... isn't even close to good
Either you're a troll or you have done no research whatsoever.
Original post by Samihab
Why? What's wrong?? x

London Met is one of the worst universities in the country. UCL has one of the best law faculties in the world. Having that range means (generally) one of three things:

1. You have the grades for London Met, but are (really stretching it) aspiring to go to UCL.
2. You have the grades for UCL, but are (wasting a choice) by also applying to London Met.
OR
3. You have not researched universities, their requirements or their degrees very much, aside from where they lie geographically in England.

To answer some of your other questions:

London unis are generally more competitive for law, but not because of how populated London is. Instead, they tend to have good law faculties, and so attract strong applicants from around the world.

Yes, it's okay that you're only applying to London unis.

If you posted your GCSEs, AS grades and A-Level predictions, I could help you decide on London unis which would be good for you. Otherwise, I wish you the best of luck.
Reply 8
Original post by Jasaron
London Met is one of the worst universities in the country. UCL has one of the best law faculties in the world. Having that range means (generally) one of three things:

1. You have the grades for London Met, but are (really stretching it) aspiring to go to UCL.
2. You have the grades for UCL, but are (wasting a choice) by also applying to London Met.
OR
3. You have not researched universities, their requirements or their degrees very much, aside from where they lie geographically in England.

To answer some of your other questions:

London unis are generally more competitive for law, but not because of how populated London is. Instead, they tend to have good law faculties, and so attract strong applicants from around the world.

Yes, it's okay that you're only applying to London unis.

If you posted your GCSEs, AS grades and A-Level predictions, I could help you decide on London unis which would be good for you. Otherwise, I wish you the best of luck.

Omg I didn't know that London Met was that bad, I'm just trying to make sure I cover all my bases so if i don't get the best grades for my top uni i'll still have a few options left. I loved LSE but then I went to Westminster and knew that was the one for me. My grades are we don't know all our predicted grades officially yet. My sociology and business teachers said they can comfortably predict me a B and would be willing to compromise and give me a higher grade based on what I need for uni. We don't know our English grades yet.

Thanks x
Original post by Samihab
xx

What are your GCSEs and AS Levels? The requirements for UCL are A*AA, although it seems to me you're looking for universities that want AAB, ABB, BBB etc.

You could look at: SOAS, Brunel, City Uni, Middlesex, Greenwich.

LSE is the most competitive uni for law in the UK, AFAIK. If you like Westminister, apply there. The acceptance rate is abaout 72%, so you'll probably get in.
Reply 10
Original post by Jasaron
What are your GCSEs and AS Levels? The requirements for UCL are A*AA, although it seems to me you're looking for universities that want AAB, ABB, BBB etc.

You could look at: SOAS, Brunel, City Uni, Middlesex, Greenwich.

LSE is the most competitive uni for law in the UK, AFAIK. If you like Westminister, apply there. The acceptance rate is abaout 72%, so you'll probably get in.

I've got 10 GCSE's 100% A*-C, I got a U in AS Philosophy but everyone in my class also did quite terribly. But I've contacted Westminster University about it and they said they won't reject me if I have a U in Philosophy as long as I get my A Level grades needed for the course (ABB). I also do like City University as it's in my grade boundaries. I like Roehampton as well, I'm thinking about Kingston but I'm not sure, but I love the course content Andy structure of Westminster and City

Xx
Reply 11
Because I really dislike the idea of living away from home, it's never really been in my plan. I live in Kent so going to uni in London is actually quite convenient for me transport wise, also I feel like London is really central which will help me in terms of getting good work experience xx
Original post by Samihab
London Metropolitan

Original post by Samihab
UCL

1837462742.jpg
Original post by Samihab
I've got 10 GCSE's 100% A*-C, I got a U in AS Philosophy but everyone in my class also did quite terribly. But I've contacted Westminster University about it and they said they won't reject me if I have a U in Philosophy as long as I get my A Level grades needed for the course (ABB). I also do like City University as it's in my grade boundaries. I like Roehampton as well, I'm thinking about Kingston but I'm not sure, but I love the course content Andy structure of Westminster and City

Xx

What grades did you get for AS specifically? There are much better unis compared to London Met - don't waste a space on your UCAS application
Reply 14
Original post by amelienine
What grades did you get for AS specifically? There are much better unis compared to London Met - don't waste a space on your UCAS application

We don't do four AS's anymore, just two and then drop one, however I specifically chose my subjects so I only had one AS which I would be dropping xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending