The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cryptographic
A*AA, although from what I understand about Bristol that's more of an aspirational offer. They usually should accept you even if you get AAA in the actual exam period.

I'm predicted AAA (and A* EPQ) so hopefully it'll be enough
Original post by jamestg
Would you be able to copy and paste the main bit of the email? Obviously excluding name, email address and any other personal details lol? I'd be super duper grateful.

No problem :smile:

Thank you for your application to Durham University. We value your application and will inform you of the outcome as soon as possible. At Durham University, your application will be considered by admissions selector(s) for the department(s) to which you have applied. The admissions selectors will consider all applications as quickly as possible but in the interests of fairness, many decisions will need to wait until we have received all applications which were submitted by the UCAS deadline of 15 January. We do aim to make all decisions on on-time applications by the end of March. Our admissions process, works as follows: 1. An admissions selector will consider your UCAS application and make a decision - some applicants will be invited for interview but most decisions will be made without interview. For eligible applicants (e.g. applicants applying for two very different programmes) this will include consideration of their substitute personal statement if this has been submitted in time. For more information about this, please visit our website here: www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/personalstatement/substitute 2. If the department decides you are to receive an offer, details of this will be communicated through UCAS. If, sadly, we are unable to make you an offer, this outcome will also be communicated through UCAS. If you do receive an offer through UCAS, your campus code, that is the code for your college preference, will change to Z to show that your college allocation is pending. 3. The first round of college allocations for applicants who have received an academic offer by 1st February will take place by 1st March and then regularly after this date for applicants who receive an academic offer after 1st February. At this point, should the date not have already passed, you will also be invited to an Post-Offer Visit Day. Information about our Post-Offer Visit Days (including the dates once these are published) can be found on our website here: www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/visit/postoffer If your department decides that you are to receive an offer, your application is automatically considered for your preferred college. All colleges have a limited number of offers they can make to applicants from each department. Where an applicant has expressed a preference for a college and the college has space then the applicant will be offered a place there. If the number of applicants with departmental offers expressing a preference for a college exceeds the space available then the allocation will be a blind selection of those applicants. This inevitably means that some applicants cannot be placed at their preferred college. If this happens we guarantee to find you a place at a different college. If you have not nominated a college in your UCAS application, we will allocate one on your behalf. The important thing to remember is that anyone who has been accepted by an academic department via UCAS will secure a place at one of our colleges. Applicants who accept Durham University as their firm choice and who meet or exceed the exact terms of their offer will be guaranteed their allocated college. Applicants who accept Durham University as their insurance choice or fail to meet the terms of their offer and are accepted as a `near miss' applicant may be reallocated a college in August. However, wherever possible, applicants will be placed in the college that they were originally allocated to. Applicants may change their college preference up to the point that college allocation commences. Applicants wishing to do this need to contact us at [email protected]. Please note that Durham University will only communicate with you, the applicant, regarding your application to the University. Should you wish us to discuss your application with anyone else we shall require a written document giving your express permission, even if you have already given permission to UCAS. If you wish to contact us please quote your full name, date of birth, UCAS personal identification number and programme for which you have applied. Any information supplied to us will be held in line with our Data Protection Policy which can be viewed at the following link: www.dur.ac.uk/data.protection/policy Further information regarding our admissions processes can be found at: http://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply Alternatively, please e-mail our admissions team at [email protected]. For further information and updates, you can follow @ApplyDurham and @durham_uni on Twitter, join our community at www.facebook.com/durhamuniversity and watch videos on our channel at www.youtube.com/DurhamUniversity
Original post by Mfp3343
has anyone heard back for history and politics?

Offers from Southampton and Birmingham and acknowledgements from Cambridge, Warwick and Exeter

Don't worry about how long it takes tho, waiting longer doesnt mean you wont get an offer, apparently Exeter only start making offers around March time lol
Original post by h8skoooooool
No problem :smile:

Thank you for your application to Durham University. We value your application and will inform you of the outcome as soon as possible. At Durham University, your application will be considered by admissions selector(s) for the department(s) to which you have applied. The admissions selectors will consider all applications as quickly as possible but in the interests of fairness, many decisions will need to wait until we have received all applications which were submitted by the UCAS deadline of 15 January. We do aim to make all decisions on on-time applications by the end of March. Our admissions process, works as follows: 1. An admissions selector will consider your UCAS application and make a decision - some applicants will be invited for interview but most decisions will be made without interview. For eligible applicants (e.g. applicants applying for two very different programmes) this will include consideration of their substitute personal statement if this has been submitted in time. For more information about this, please visit our website here: www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/personalstatement/substitute 2. If the department decides you are to receive an offer, details of this will be communicated through UCAS. If, sadly, we are unable to make you an offer, this outcome will also be communicated through UCAS. If you do receive an offer through UCAS, your campus code, that is the code for your college preference, will change to Z to show that your college allocation is pending. 3. The first round of college allocations for applicants who have received an academic offer by 1st February will take place by 1st March and then regularly after this date for applicants who receive an academic offer after 1st February. At this point, should the date not have already passed, you will also be invited to an Post-Offer Visit Day. Information about our Post-Offer Visit Days (including the dates once these are published) can be found on our website here: www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/visit/postoffer If your department decides that you are to receive an offer, your application is automatically considered for your preferred college. All colleges have a limited number of offers they can make to applicants from each department. Where an applicant has expressed a preference for a college and the college has space then the applicant will be offered a place there. If the number of applicants with departmental offers expressing a preference for a college exceeds the space available then the allocation will be a blind selection of those applicants. This inevitably means that some applicants cannot be placed at their preferred college. If this happens we guarantee to find you a place at a different college. If you have not nominated a college in your UCAS application, we will allocate one on your behalf. The important thing to remember is that anyone who has been accepted by an academic department via UCAS will secure a place at one of our colleges. Applicants who accept Durham University as their firm choice and who meet or exceed the exact terms of their offer will be guaranteed their allocated college. Applicants who accept Durham University as their insurance choice or fail to meet the terms of their offer and are accepted as a `near miss' applicant may be reallocated a college in August. However, wherever possible, applicants will be placed in the college that they were originally allocated to. Applicants may change their college preference up to the point that college allocation commences. Applicants wishing to do this need to contact us at [email protected]. Please note that Durham University will only communicate with you, the applicant, regarding your application to the University. Should you wish us to discuss your application with anyone else we shall require a written document giving your express permission, even if you have already given permission to UCAS. If you wish to contact us please quote your full name, date of birth, UCAS personal identification number and programme for which you have applied. Any information supplied to us will be held in line with our Data Protection Policy which can be viewed at the following link: www.dur.ac.uk/data.protection/policy Further information regarding our admissions processes can be found at: http://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply Alternatively, please e-mail our admissions team at [email protected]. For further information and updates, you can follow @ApplyDurham and @durham_uni on Twitter, join our community at www.facebook.com/durhamuniversity and watch videos on our channel at www.youtube.com/DurhamUniversity

Thank you so much!

Sounds like reallocation if you miss your grades but still get in is some kind of punishment hahahahaha!
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
woah best of luck :hugs:

Thanks pal, you too!! :u:
A friend of mine has had an offer for Computer Science at Warwick today. Is this the first offer from them in this thread?
Original post by jamestg
Thank you so much!

Sounds like reallocation if you miss your grades but still get in is some kind of punishment hahahahaha!

Sorry it looks so messy, I'm sending it on my phone and I'm sure there were line spaces before I pressed submit haha

Yeah I don't see why they'd need to move colleges if you missed your offer slightly, especially if it was your firm choice anyway! Very strange (and mean lol)
Just sent off my application for Pharmacology
Original post by natalieerik
I'm predicted AAA (and A* EPQ) so hopefully it'll be enough

FWIW I think that you'd be unlucky to not get an offer from what I've heard. Though you may have to wait a bit longer than others before you get an offer..
Original post by Strimpy
Offers from Southampton and Birmingham and acknowledgements from Cambridge, Warwick and Exeter

Don't worry about how long it takes tho, waiting longer doesnt mean you wont get an offer, apparently Exeter only start making offers around March time lol

Omg we're applying for different courses but pretty much exactly the same unis haha! Only difference is that I chose Oxford instead of Cambridge :wink:

When did you send your application off and receive offers?
Original post by cindylol
When did you send your application off? Also, what's your stats(I.e. AS grades and maths + FM UMS),if you don't mind me asking?

Hey! I sent my application off nearly 2 weeks ago, and only received an acknowledgement email yesterday! Are you also a fellow maths applicant?

I got AAA at AS (Maths, Chem and Bio) and did some FM modules, but this year I am completing my AS in FM and doing it for A-Level. Managed to get mid 90 ums for all maths modules (and 88 in Mechanics 2!) :smile:
Original post by h8skoooooool
Thanks pal, you too!! :u:

:five: cheers!
Original post by Strimpy

I know it doesn't mean I won't get an offer, but if they are able to make such quick decisions on some, there must be a reason why I'm not getting one
Original post by BEARichards
Omg we're applying for different courses but pretty much exactly the same unis haha! Only difference is that I chose Oxford instead of Cambridge :wink:

When did you send your application off and receive offers?

haha looks like we have a pretty high chance of seeing each other some point in the future then lol

and I sent mine off on the 3rd and got an offer from Southampton on the 10th and Birmingham today! :smile:

why did you choose oxford? i literally just went for cambridge because they seem to put less emphasis on the admissions test (which i am terrified of lol)
Original post by Mfp3343
I know it doesn't mean I won't get an offer, but if they are able to make such quick decisions on some, there must be a reason why I'm not getting one

tbf most uni's have only sent out a very small amount of offers atm, the majority will be sent out over next few months. Obviously how long it takes depends on how competitive uni's you're applying to compared to your grades. I'm just trying to forget about it and concentrate on actually doing well on the a-levels im taking :smile:

this is so hypocritical of me seeing as im constantly worrying about it as well, but it really is the most pointless thing to worry about as cant change anything now
Original post by Strimpy
haha looks like we have a pretty high chance of seeing each other some point in the future then lol

and I sent mine off on the 3rd and got an offer from Southampton on the 10th and Birmingham today! :smile:

why did you choose oxford? i literally just went for cambridge because they seem to put less emphasis on the admissions test (which i am terrified of lol)

Ooh we sent them on the same day, fingers crossed I can hope to receive something back soon then haha! Going a bit mad here obsessively checking track...

I chose Oxford for some pretty silly reasons really, didn't even look at cambridge! Some of the reasons included 1) It's closer to where I live, 2) 2 of my teachers went there, including my French teacher and 3) I've just always felt some sort of internal loyalty toward someone them and I have no idea why! Have always supported them in the boat races and on university challenge... so it just kind of felt right to choose them over cambridge!
Original post by BEARichards
Ooh we sent them on the same day, fingers crossed I can hope to receive something back soon then haha! Going a bit mad here obsessively checking track...

I chose Oxford for some pretty silly reasons really, didn't even look at cambridge! Some of the reasons included 1) It's closer to where I live, 2) 2 of my teachers went there, including my French teacher and 3) I've just always felt some sort of internal loyalty toward someone them and I have no idea why! Have always supported them in the boat races and on university challenge... so it just kind of felt right to choose them over cambridge!

Haha yeah same I've been checking my emails for track updates waaay to frequently and lol I thought my reasons for Cambridge were illogical :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Strimpy
tbf most uni's have only sent out a very small amount of offers atm, the majority will be sent out over next few months. Obviously how long it takes depends on how competitive uni's you're applying to compared to your grades. I'm just trying to forget about it and concentrate on actually doing well on the a-levels im taking :smile:

this is so hypocritical of me seeing as im constantly worrying about it as well, but it really is the most pointless thing to worry about as cant change anything now

what cambridge college have you applied to?
Offer from Liverpool!:smile: about 5/6 people in my (small) sixth form all got offers from Liverpool today all for different subjects though.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
How did you get an unconditional??

When did you apply? I'm applying for English and French and am simply dying to send mine off by the end of this week.

I applied just over a week ago now and Nottingham were the first to get back to me :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending