Original post by Himtiaz
Im kinda the same

Cambridge
Durham
Imperial
Edinburgh
Not sure about my last choice either

Impressive ahaha.

You still have a year left but if you still have doubts then look at the courses of each uni online and see which one best suits you and the one you like the most :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lay-Z
TSR is full of people like this, cant stand when year 13 students are giving advice on stuff like grad schemes etc

Those close to the flame are exactly the ones who know what to do. The best tutors are a year above.
To do computing at Imperial do you need to do any extra tests? Or is the application process the same for other uni's like Warwick for computing?
Original post by Chittesh14
99% average lol wow. And you're still going a few marks off the successful boundary! Dam, MAT must also be really hard lol. I think you would stand a good chance, everyone applying should have 4 As or good grades but Oxford has a high GCSE requirement lol. If you want to read maths at uni I don't see why you wouldn't get an offer or interview if they do them with an average of 99% across all Maths modules lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

MAT does require a of work and STEP is harder.
Oxford wants a whole lot of GCSEs ar A* grade and a well rounded person.
Cambridge takes the less wel rounded with a great STEP.
By the time you do all this work, if you don't get into s top school, will be treading water for the first year anywhere else. Do you want to do this for 3-4 years, then hunt for teaching job in a school?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Theplace
MAT does require a of work and STEP is harder.
Oxford wants a whole lot of GCSEs ar A* grade and a well rounded person.
Cambridge takes the less wel rounded with a great STEP.
By the time you do all this work, if you don't get into s top school, will be treading water for the first year anywhere else. Do you want to do this for 3-4 years, then hunt for s job teaching in a school?

Lol I know :biggrin:. Didn't understand the last bit ^ :O
Day 23
Sorry I skipped a couple days... It's been very hectic lately, since its the last week of college before half term.
Thought and Tip for today: Unlike last year, I haven't really had to think about what I'm going to do in my frees at college or when I get home. It's literally been "do whatever needs to be done" because this year I've actually gotten a huge amount of homework... which sucks but I guess its more practice? I preferred having the flexibility. In fact, I think I have a homework due tomorrow but I haven't done it xD. Oh well, I know the stuff at least! HOWEVER, it is EXCELLENT practice to sort out what you're going to do in your frees. Sometimes I'd be so unsure of what I'd do in my frees, I would carry all of my folders with me so that I was prepared to practice whatever I needed to. All of my college bags have torn because of this Lol.

Further Maths
As mentioned before (I think), by the end of this week I will have completed FP1 and M2 alongside Core 4. I will also be planning my half term holidays to ensure I get the most out of it. We've begun FP2. Once we finish M2 (i.e. after half term) we'll begin D1. Going to start crunching papers soon!
Physics
So you'd think Further Mechanics is easy...well the test I did was definitely not easy... in fact I think I messed up pretty badly.
It was a mixture of silly mistakes and not being able to apply what I know about Simple Harmonic Motion to the question. I knew the answer, I just thought it was a bit far-fetched for the test we were doing... I should have just written it anyways tbh. But heyo... I'll find out what I got tomorrow.
UCAS
My UCAS was sent off on Monday evening all the universities received my application today and yesterday. I hope to receive at least one offer next week!
MAT
Just did question 1 of June 2014 and unfortunately only got 28/40 in 40-45 minutes but I continued to work and score 36/40 however this was WAYYY over the time limit. I still have two papers to do and only 3 weeks till the actual exam!!!

Its Wednesday guys! Two days left of hard work and then half term is here! Stick with it guys!
Original post by Kira Yagami
To do computing at Imperial do you need to do any extra tests? Or is the application process the same for other uni's like Warwick for computing?

Hi,
I don't believe there's any assessments but Imperial do interviews where its supposedly "maths" based. I believe most (if not all) universities don't require interviews for Computer Science/Computing.
Are you planning to do Computer Science at University?
Original post by Someboady
Hi,
I don't believe there's any assessments but Imperial do interviews where its supposedly "maths" based. I believe most (if not all) universities don't require interviews for Computer Science/Computing.
Are you planning to do Computer Science at University?

Yes I am. Thank you :smile:

How were the resources for MAT I sent you, were they useful or?
Original post by Kira Yagami
Yes I am. Thank you :smile:

How were the resources for MAT I sent you, were they useful or?

Awesome, I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about Computer Science (I don't study it at University) but I've been to a bunch of summer schools and similar events that helped me get a good idea of what I wanted to do at University.

The MAT resources were brilliant! Thank you very much!
Hardcore AF
Awesome, I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about Computer Science (I don't study it at University) but I've been to a bunch of summer schools and similar events that helped me get a good idea of what I wanted to do at University.

The MAT resources were brilliant! Thank you very much!

That would be great! Is there any other way I could contact you? Don't really chatting on here tbh as it's not like instant messaging. But if that is inconvenient for you then that's fine.

Its Wednesday guys! Two days left of hard work and then half term is here! Stick with it guys!

You sure bud? Most people I know start their half term on the 20th.
Reply 192
Original post by Naruke
You sure bud? Most people I know start their half term on the 20th.
Yeah battlefield 1 comes out the next day so I know what I will be doing over halt term :smile:
Hi,

I'm creating this thread as a way to track my progress throughout the year and motivate myself to study. In my AS year I took AS-Maths, A-level Maths, AS Physics and AS Computer Science. I got 4A's. It might sound great but I missed the A* in Maths by 2 marks in my Core 4 paper. I got 100% in Core 1, Core 2 and Core 3 but my Core 4 dropped to just under 80%. This annoyed me a lot because I know I was ready for Core 4 and I know that I should've done miles better. It annoyed me because now I have to retake that module this year despite knowing it last year...it was just a bad day for me I reckon. My predicted grades are currently 3A*s (Maths, Physics, Computer Science) however my Further Maths looks to be an A, however I will try to get this bumped to an A* (I mean, I did really well in terms of UMS discounting Core 4). I am also taking the EPQ this year on Computer Science and I hope to be predicted an A*.

So my teachers believe me to be capable of achieving A*'s due to high A-grades last year however I must admit I think I won't manage it. I just feel like the margins for error are too high and I'll slip up like I did in my AS-year. I intend to try my hardest though and I hope this thread motivates others too.
I am applying to study Computer Science at Oxford, Imperial, Bristol, Warwick and Durham/Sheffield. My internal deadline for UCAS is next week. I also have to take the MAT in around a months time. Thus a lot of preparation is required. The work load is huge at the moment but I'm just about managing.

I will be working my socks off this year and I will begin my first post on Monday which will be my second full week at college. My first week was just appalling.
For Further Maths I will be studying the Edexcel syllabus (FP1,FP2,FP3,M2,S2,D1) and I hope to have FP1,M2,S2 finished by December.
For Physics I'm studying the AQA Syllabus and doing AstroPhysics for my option despite having chosen Turning points... my college sucks so bad.
For Computer Science I am doing the OCR exam board and I will be working on my coursework for the most part, I'm aiming to have that complete by December also. This will give me time to prepare for the exam.
Core 4, I will prepare for starting from January. There is no way I miss the A* in Maths next year. It scares me to think I might miss it again if I flop this exam.
My EPQ will be alongside my studies, I will sacrifice whatever time I have to it.
I am also a disadvantaged student in the sense that I attend a college that is underperforming and I am part of various schemes that allow me to apply to University. People from my area don't usually go to University and I will be the first in my family to attend University hopefully. Also I always thought Oxford/Cambridge were only for rich kids who could afford it lol..Glad they put that misconception away.
I am more than willing to pull my weight this year to achieve these grades. Oxford and Imperial are just hopes, I at least want to get offers from Bristol and Warwick and Sheffield/Durham.
If you have any advice about anything whether it be Universities, or how to succeed or A-levels I would be more than happy to receive it!
With that being said, I think this will be the opener to my thread.

Thanks for reading,
Someboady

EDIT: I am predicted 5A*s now. The support on this thread has been phenomenal and thank you everyone for your encouraging words, hopefully I'll meet everyone's expectations.

University Applications
Thank you to @DarkEnergy for creating the template used below!:
UCAS Application Send Off Date: 10/10/16
Oxford (MCompSci Computer Science) | Date: TBD | Reply: TBD
Imperial College London (MEng Computing) | Date: TBD | Reply: TBD
Warwick (MEng Computer Science | Date: TBD | Reply: TBD
Bristol (MEng Computer Science | Date: TBD | Reply: TBD
Durham (MEng Computer Science) | Date: TBD | Reply: TBD

MAT Preparation Record:
Target: 70/100

In order as attempted:
MAT 2010 | Q1: 28/40 | Q2: 5/15 | Q5: 15/15 | Q6: 4/15 | Q7: 3/15 | TOTAL = 55/100 (Average Successful applicant scored: 69.3)
MAT 2011 | Q1: 24/40 | Q2: 10/15 | Q5: 9/15 | Q6: 14/15 | Q7: 10/15 | TOTAL = 67/100 (Average Successful applicant scored 71.3)
MAT 2012 | Q1: 36/40 | Q2: 9/15 | Q5: 14/15 | Q6: 15/15 | Q7: 13/15 | TOTAL = 86/100 (Average Successful applicant scored 68.2)
MAT 2013 | Q1: 24/40 | Q2: 5/15 | Q5: 5/15 | Q6: 15/15 | Q7: 9/15 | TOTAL = 58/100 (Average Successful applicant scored 61.3)

Exams Incoming this Summer:
FP1 | Date: TBD | Time: TBD
FP2 | Date: TBD | Time: TBD
FP3 | Date: TBD | Time: TBD
D1 | Date: TBD | Time: TBD
S2 | Date: TBD | Time: TBD
M2 | Date: TBD | Time: TBD
C4 (Resit) | Date: TBD | Time: TBD

Physics Paper 1 | Date: TBD | Time: TBD
Physics Paper 2 | Date: TBD | Time: TBD
Physics Paper 3 | Date: TBD | Time: TBD

Computer Science Paper 1 | Date: TBD | Time: TBD
Computer Science Paper 2 | Date: TBD | Time: TBD

Total = 13 exams (inc. MAT)

I aim to have learnt the content for FP1, M2, C4, Physics Paper 1 and MAT by 14th October.

I am also aiming for A*A*A*A*A* in Maths, Further Maths, Additional Further Maths, Physics and Electronics. :smile:

If you need the dates for maths exams (i can give a few):
FP2: 07/06/2017
FP3: 26/06/2017
S2: 26/06/2017
C4: 23/06/2016

GOOD LUCK!
(edited 7 years ago)
Day 27
Skipped a few more days but I've been very productive lately. It's technically the weekend but in my head its the first day of my half term holiday. I've successfully done a bit of everything today.
Further Maths
I have completed FP1 and I've done a paper that I'm going to mark after this post. I've also started doing Core 4 papers trying to jog my memory and get back into the flow of things. I'm completing them a bit slowly, at around 40 minutes per paper. I'm also working on covering S2 this half term. Basically the plan is to revise my FP1 because I have a test on the week back.

Physics
So for my test I got an A grade (1/2 mark off an A*)... which sucks but some of my mistakes were RIDICULOUS. Take for example, they asked for the frequency and I gave them the time period. Basic calculator errors and other really silly mistakes. But I knew my stuff at least. Just need to revise some basics like spring constants and I want to go over that paper again tbh.

Computer Science
I plan on starting a little bit of the programming this half term (not a lot). I've also covered and made notes on 2 A-level spec points. there are 29 in the first section and 9 in the second section. Progress will be slow but steady. I also revised Computer Arithmetic so its fresh in my head.
UCAS
Nothing updated :frown:
MAT
I scored 62/100 on the MAT 2014. I'll do a further analysis of where I went wrong. My weakest question is question 2 and my strongest is question 6!
(edited 7 years ago)
(The EPQ isn't an A level by the way - it's the equivalent of an AS level. So you're actually aiming for A*A*A*A* at A level, and an A* in the EPQ.)
DAY 29

Not much to update today, sorry if my posts have been getting shorter/less consistent, I figure I procrastinate a lot through TSR as well...
But I have been quite productive lately!
Right now I'm just revising all my subjects quite equally in turn... but I'm also preparing for the MAT :smile:
Keeping this post short because I've got a LOT to do today, I'll give a good update at the end of half term!
UCAS
I received an offer from Warwick University (A*AA or AAA) for MEng Computer Science :smile:

UCAS
I received an offer from Warwick University (A*AA or AAA) for MEng Computer Science :smile:

Congrats!
I'm planning to apply to Cambridge for CS :smile:
Reply 199
I also found Q2 and Q5 quite hard in the 2014 paper, still managed to get 67/100 so that's alright I guess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending