The Student Room Group

Do people actually dislike A Levels?

I've got this idea from a few twitter accounts whose tweets people I know always seem to be retweeting and from things people have said. Like I always see people complaining that they're struggling, or it's too much to balance. Im halfway through my fifth week and everything I do just seems interesting. I look forward to subjects that bore me at GCSE level with their simplicity. Is there anyone else feeling similar to this?

And another thing, I have noticed a few people struggle to get Cs in their initial assessments, yet these same people got similar GCSE grades to me. And im here with 2 Bs, a B/C grade and a C, which is similar to what other students who got straight A*s at GCSE are getting initially. Im putting in the same amount of effort, but A Level content seems to make more sense to me than what GCSE content did. Is this uncommon?
Original post by xEmilyxx
I've got this idea from a few twitter accounts whose tweets people I know always seem to be retweeting and from things people have said. Like I always see people complaining that they're struggling, or it's too much to balance. Im halfway through my fifth week and everything I do just seems interesting. I look forward to subjects that bore me at GCSE level with their simplicity. Is there anyone else feeling similar to this?

And another thing, I have noticed a few people struggle to get Cs in their initial assessments, yet these same people got similar GCSE grades to me. And im here with 2 Bs, a B/C grade and a C, which is similar to what other students who got straight A*s at GCSE are getting initially. Im putting in the same amount of effort, but A Level content seems to make more sense to me than what GCSE content did. Is this uncommon?

Interesting, from my experience I kind of struggled for the first few weeks and things didn't really click till Year 13. I wouldn't say the subjects/content were riveting but there were some interesting bits and overall the experience was good for me. Though I know that for others people have a very difficult time, such as with English lit coursework, and the content isn't so great.

I guess you were lucky that you found subjects that you were interested in, it isn't always the case and someone might have to pick a 'random' 3rd A-level for example that they don't really have a choice but to study.
Reply 2
I would find it interesting if the prospect of exams and assessments didn't stress my ass. That and me bein' a dipstick an' all. You must be a rather intelligent individual to find A level easier than GCSE. TBH, I kinda miss GCSEs... 😓
Depends if you do subjects that actually interest you instead of the ones that people choose just because they are respected
I agree with you. I find A levels really interesting (I'm in year 13 now) and I also find them a lot easier than GCSE as I'm just doing the subjects that feel more natural to me and not things like biology which I could never get my head around :colondollar:
Reply 5
Original post by SuperHuman98
Depends if you do subjects that actually interest you instead of the ones that people choose just because they are respected

True, people make fun of geography but u should choose it if you are passionate about colouring
Original post by iamux
True, people make fun of geography but u should choose it if you are passionate about colouring

I do AS Geography and I haven't had to colour in...

Spoiler

Ah yes, I remember getting As in my initial tests. Then I took an arrow to the knee (and a lot more work).

There's a lot of crap in A-levels, its repetitive and some of it is quite bland. I just see it as a stepping stone before uni.
Reply 9
I found A levels easier than GCSEs, but I worked harder. If that makes sense..
I never really found the class work at A-Level to be particularly more stressful than GCSE, just the examination period due to the immense amount of revision I put in comparatively.
Reply 11
Original post by SeanFM
Interesting, from my experience I kind of struggled for the first few weeks and things didn't really click till Year 13. I wouldn't say the subjects/content were riveting but there were some interesting bits and overall the experience was good for me. Though I know that for others people have a very difficult time, such as with English lit coursework, and the content isn't so great.

I guess you were lucky that you found subjects that you were interested in, it isn't always the case and someone might have to pick a 'random' 3rd A-level for example that they don't really have a choice but to study.

I take English lit too, and with the new linear course I have no coursework until year 2. But the content I'm learning, although I haven't finished reading the novel, seems alright. I probably won't get it until I've finished the novel.

Original post by 2-99
I would find it interesting if the prospect of exams and assessments didn't stress my ass. That and me bein' a dipstick an' all. You must be a rather intelligent individual to find A level easier than GCSE. TBH, I kinda miss GCSEs... 😓

I miss the banter in school more than anything else. And I'm the opposite. I was alright leading up to exam season because my coursework was nailed. That and I had worked out I was guaranted the grades for college. And I'll take the next bit as a compliment thank you, but I wasn't any good when it came to Science and theoretical subjects.

Original post by KittyN101
I agree with you. I find A levels really interesting (I'm in year 13 now) and I also find them a lot easier than GCSE as I'm just doing the subjects that feel more natural to me and not things like biology which I could never get my head around :colondollar:

I relate so much to this.

Original post by SuperHuman98

I take English language, english literature, film studies and drama. Originally because I was considering film production, but I'm now leaning towards Journalism and language study, possibly the written side of TV too. I believe that English literature is the most highly regarded out of these subjects, with English language following behind. Im starting to lose the will with film studies, and drama is there to help me with my anxiety. But I really do love me Englishes:biggrin: I suppose the most highly regarded are Maths and the Sciences, but I'm not too sure on this.

Quick Reply

Latest