The Student Room Group

One of My Best Friends is Faking the Fact She Has Dyslexia

N/A anymore
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by han0110
Ugh I feel so frustrated right now. Today, a dear best friend of mine told me today that she isn't really dyslexic, although she is one of the few people in my year who is down to get extra time in exams/tests due to the fact she has "dyslexia". She claims that she was 'once dyslexic' but now she has very mild dyslexia. However, the reason she still gets extra time is that during the dyslexia tests, she fakes answers so she seems like she has the condition. I had thought that she was lying a long time ago, as during exams, she would always finish before me and would sit for the duration of the exam just checking through her answers repeatedly, but I dismissed it as me being paranoid and jealous at the fact she gets extra time. I really don't know what to do! Do I let this go unnoticed or do I tell a teacher because this is cheating, isn't it?

She can't once be dyslexic and not be anymore, it's not something that is cureable -_-. I can't see her faking it through a 3 hour ed psych assessment which you have to have do as a 16 plus, so either she's lying and is in fact dyslexic (but ashamed so doesn't want people to think she is anymore) or somehow she did mess with the assessments which would be quite obvious assuming your school correctly and comprehensively assesses people

. I have dyslexia myself but no one would generally know unless I told them but it's not really possible to classify it well mild to severe with the varying symptoms of it.
My point is,don't say anything, even if what you say is true, your friend needs to learn a lesson from this herself and I can't see a teacher listening to you if they did say something.
Reply 2
don't snitch it, it'll bite you in the ass
js
Original post by han0110
Actually, last week it was compulsory for everyone to take this dyslexia test as teachers are worried that more people may be suffering with this condition and is going unnoticed, also due to the fact that our GCSEs will be taking place next summer, they wanted to spot the people with dyslexia so they could have the extra time that they need. It took only an hour, and she did have a previous assessment as well to see how she is doing. I asked her how she managed to fake dyslexia for so long and she simply said 'I knew the spellings to the words but I changed them around', also claiming that she did the same for the reading and speaking.

I wasn't planning on going to a teacher, I only stated it as one of things I could possibly do, I'm not one of those unloyal friend, plus she is a great friend and I love her dearly.

Although you say dyslexia can't be cured, it can be managed. I don't have as much expertise as you, so you will probably indeed know more about this than me.

Thank you for your reply.

I ll be honest,although i could be wrong an hour sounds like it was one of those pc screening tests rather than a decent comprehensive assessment so the results might not be truly reliable as an ed psych assessment would (those assessments are an exhausting 3 hours long).

Although It's great that you have teachers that were at least trying to identify people who need support,i d have loved my school to be like that.

Well managed isn't the right word really (I d say my asthma is well managed as there's drugs to let me live as normal with it, that is far from the truth with my dyslexic brain),it's possible to find ways to cope or get around it with some parts of the condition like various wonderful technology but i d never say I m fully in control of it and never could I find coping methods that make me truly able to overcome all my symptoms. If that makes any sense?
Original post by han0110
Ah I see. I hand never taken a dyslexia test before, so I am not familiar with the different types. And yes, the perks of going to private school 😂

Well I hope that one day, a cure for dyslexia is finally made which will hopefully end your struggles ♥️

I think it d be a short of a miracle if such a thing existed since it d be altering brain structure and they ve no clue exactly what causes dyslexia but I appreciate the sentiment.
Reply 5
(edited 4 years ago)
i get why its causing distress but dont do anything, you havent got options but i guess this reveals more about your friends personality
Reply 7
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by han0110
What's wrong with hoping? Technology has developed so much as is continuing to do so, that maybe one day the impossible will become possible.

Because the brain is a complex thing and I think we re incredibly far off being able to alter its structure in that way. It's not going to happen in my lifetime realistically especially when there's no research funding for it.
Reply 9
Snitches get stitches
I hope you don't snitch on your friend! Is it worth possibly ruining your friendship? Why is it that her extra time upsets you?
I understand what you are going through. A friend of mine is faking being dyslexic because the process gives her perks in getting a new laptop and a voice recording pen, also they help her in finding volunteering work, which she wouldn't get if she wasn't. Ive known my friend since we were small and she has always gotten the best grades and no extra time in exams, unlike me. It isn't a nice feeling that someone you know is claiming to have the same condition as you but lying about it just to receive the "perks" when you, yourself is actually struggling with what our friends don't see as an everyday struggle. So it's OK to be frustrated and annoyed, but my advice is to leave it be your friend will be caught out in the end.
(edited 5 years ago)
She is being a disloyal friend to you. She has confessed to seeking and gaining an unfair advantage over every one of her peers and to committing fraud. What does she expect from you? She clearly doesn’t have much respect for you or anyone else.

Telling a teacher is unlikely to lead to any kind of favourable outcome but I think if you disapprove you should probably reevaluate the friendship. If she’s capable of this, she is capable of worse. Alternatively, you could confront her with the reality and see if she rescinds the extra time etc. herself. Give her an opportunity to do the right thing. If she doesn’t, maybe think about where you want this friendship to go.

As someone who’s being assessed for a learning difficulty myself tomorrow after many years of struggling and as a relative of someone with an actual learning disability I think it really is dispicable if it’s true. I do know it’s possible. I couldn’t be friends with someone like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending