The Student Room Group

Mathematics Question

Compute: Lim(x tends to infinity) x^3-x+2/-2x^3+x^2-1 ?
Original post by ersdfrtg
Compute: Lim(x tends to infinity) x^3-x+2/-2x^3+x^2-1 ?

Assuming it is limxx3x+22x3+x21\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}\frac{x^3-x+2}{-2x^3+x^2-1} then just divide top and bottom by the highest degree of xx and observe what happens to each term with x tending to infinity before evaluating what happens with the overall fraction.
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
Assuming it is limxx3x+22x3+x21\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}\frac{x^3-x+2}{-2x^3+x^2-1} then just divide top and bottom by the highest degree of xx and observe what happens to each term with x tending to infinity before evaluating what happens with the overall fraction.

And how would you divide this function by the highest degree of x? I tried doing long division, but it didn't work for me :/
Reply 3
And how would you divide this function by the highest degree of x? I tried doing long division, but it didn't work for me :/

The highest degree of x in this expression is 3 so divide top and bottom of this fraction by x3x^3.
Reply 4
Original post by notnek
The highest degree of x in this expression is 3 so divide top and bottom of this fraction by x3x^3.

But then that will give me negative powers: 1-x^-2+2x^-3 / -2+x^-2-x^-3
?
Reply 5
But then that will give me negative powers: 1-x^-2+2x^-3 / -2+x^-2-x^-3
?

It should be x^-1 instead of x^-2 on the bottom but other than that it's correct. Then the fraction can be written as

11x2+2x32+1x21x3\displaystyle \frac{1-\frac{1}{x^2} + \frac{2}{x^3}}{-2+\frac{1}{x^2} - \frac{1}{x^3}}

Go through each term in this fraction and think about what happens as xx\rightarrow \infty

e.g. As xx\rightarrow \infty, 1x2\frac{1}{x^2} tends to 0.
Reply 6
x^3-x+2/-2x^3+x^2-1 ---> inf as x ---> inf

Do they not teach brackets anymore?
Original post by mik1a
x^3-x+2/-2x^3+x^2-1 ---> inf as x ---> inf

No it doesn't.
Reply 8
Original post by RDKGames
No it doesn't.

It does if you interpret brackets correctly. The x^3 is the dominant term.
Original post by mik1a
It does if you interpret brackets correctly. The x^3 is the dominant term.

Are you interpreting it as limx(x3x+22x3+x21)\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} (x^3-x+\frac{2}{-2x^3}+x^2-1)? In which case that would be correct, otherwise I do not know what brackets you're talking about.
Reply 10
Yes, hence "do they not teach brackets anymore?"

Quick Reply

Latest