The Student Room Group

Academic Foundation Programme 2017

Hey guys!

I'm in the process of applying for the AFP/FP and I haven't seen a thread like this yet, but please direct me to it if one already exists!

Just thought it'd be good to share our experiences of applying for an AFP as well as keep each other updated/help out with small queries! Maybe it will be a bit useful for people deciding to apply next year too - who knows! :smile:

I'll be applying to the North West of England and Yorkshire & Humber AFP's, with North West of England being my first choice for FP too! We'll see what happens!

Is it just me or is anyone else applying to the Yorkshire & Humber AFP finding it difficult to locate the white space question area? :angelblush:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yorkshire have done away with white space Qs this year, that's why they're hard to find! There is an extra form that has to be emailed to them (outside of oriel) by the normal deadline. I'm not applying to Yorks so can't help much more than that.
Ah, thank you! That's interesting - I wonder how they will shortlist applicants now! How did you find out? On their website it currently says -
"Note that for Academic Foundation, candidates must indicate their interest in an Academic Foundation post at the point of application to ordinary clinical-only foundation. This will trigger additional questions relating to the area of Academic Foundation applied for"

Thanks again for the helpful info! I had already downloaded the extra form already which I will submit to them. All the best with your APF applications! Where will you be applying too? :smile:

Original post by mjb1991
Yorkshire have done away with white space Qs this year, that's why they're hard to find! There is an extra form that has to be emailed to them (outside of oriel) by the normal deadline. I'm not applying to Yorks so can't help much more than that.
Reply 3
Hello! I'm also applying for Yorkshire/Humber...just to check it is just the evidence form that needs to be sent separately by email direct to them? I couldn't see any other form with white space-like questions on it...And now I'm doubting myself !!
Cheers :smile:
I had the same thought as well which was why I ended up posting to ask! I believe we'll be fine as that's what is indicated! The AFP application for Y&H doesn't give the white space options on oriel whilst other AFP applications do, so it must just be their personal specification. The evidence form is all I'll be sending as additional information so hopefully we're right! All the best with your AFP applications! :smile:

Original post by Staggie94
Hello! I'm also applying for Yorkshire/Humber...just to check it is just the evidence form that needs to be sent separately by email direct to them? I couldn't see any other form with white space-like questions on it...And now I'm doubting myself !!
Cheers :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks for your reply, here's hoping..! Glad that it's away now...good luck! :smile:
Applied to Northern Ireland and Scotland. Scottish interviews are in one months time so hopefully (maybe/perhaps/potentially) hear something soon!*:smile:
Reply 7
What does "Longlisted" mean on my AFP Status?

Also, massively messed up on Yorks AFP, as I didn't realise I had to send a separate form :/ Doubt they'll re-consider?
To be fair, I don't think it was super clear, and it was only if you had extra things to add on top of the space provided on your oriel AFP application (I believe!), so you should be fine! Here's hoping! Also, 'longlisted' sounds like a good thing as mine still says unpublished! All the best with the applications! :smile:

Original post by pdk

Also, massively messed up on Yorks AFP, as I didn't realise I had to send a separate form :/ Doubt they'll re-consider?
Original post by pdk

I assume it means you've met the minimum person specification requirements? I've been long listed for Scotland AFP. Think some of the deaneries have minimum decile scores, require intercalated degrees etc to be considered?
Scottish AFP interviews offers came out today.
Wow! That was quick! Scotland is on it! All the best with your Scottish AFP application/interview! I've been longlisted for North West and Y&H, so here's hoping I hear back soon too with some good news! :smile:

Original post by Caponester
Scottish AFP interviews offers came out today.
Reply 12
Hey does anyone know how many applicants will be shortlisted for interview for the Scottish AFP? Thanks!
Hi.
I have been shortlisted reserve for the Scottish AFP. Does anybody know what this means? Thank you.
Original post by tt_v625
Hey does anyone know how many applicants will be shortlisted for interview for the Scottish AFP? Thanks!

I've heard about 90 were interviewed for 65 jobs last year. Just having a look at how many interview slots I could pick from on my day and taking into account there are 2 possible interview days, I'd say it would be similar numbers this year. No more than 100 interviews.
Reply 15
Does anyone know when to expect interview calls (or worse!) from Thames for AFP?
Original post by Applicant87
Hi.
I have been shortlisted reserve for the Scottish AFP. Does anybody know what this means? Thank you.

"This status is applied to applicants who score highly enough in shortlisting to be invited to interview should slots become available by higher scoring shortlisted applicants withdrawing. If the AUoA chooses to shortlist based on interview capacity in accordance with the applicants’ rank, this status of ‘Shortlisted reserved’ will not apply. The application status will be set to ‘Interview’ or ‘Shortlist failed’"

This was taken straight from the applicants information document. Hope that helps! I'm not sure when the status will change though sorry.
Reply 17
Any clue of the Scotland interview format by any chance? I know London for example is quite set in that there's a clinical scenario then an academic paper analysis etc.
Reply 18
Original post by Caponester
I've heard about 90 were interviewed for 65 jobs last year. Just having a look at how many interview slots I could pick from on my day and taking into account there are 2 possible interview days, I'd say it would be similar numbers this year. No more than 100 interviews.

Hey thanks for your reply! Do you mind letting me know when is the deadline for those shortlisted to give their reply? Thanks!

And good luck for your interview!
Original post by tt_v625
Hey thanks for your reply! Do you mind letting me know when is the deadline for those shortlisted to give their reply? Thanks!

And good luck for your interview!

I can't remember. Sometime in November. Might even have been today actually.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending