The Student Room Group

Are my grades good enough for a psychology degree??

Hi everyone,
I wanted to know if anyone had any advice on whether or not I'm making the right decision as to where i should apply to for psych at uni, as I'm unsure if I'm good enough to get offers from these places.
My A levels:
Psych (predicted A), Eng lit (predicted A), Art (predicted A*)
My GCSEs:
AAABBBBBCC

Where i want to apply-
Manchester- AAB
Sheffield- AAB
Cardiff- AAB
Liverpool- ABB
Plymouth- BBB

My worries are that my a levels may be considered as weaker subjects (especially art) and my GCSEs aren't that good in comparison to the other people at my school who all mostly got As/A* as i go to a private school (I was going through family difficulties at the time).

Any advice would be much appreciated. I just need some advice and guidance!
Thank you x
Reply 1
Yes you'll be fine with these subjects and grades.
Original post by ed98
I agree could potentially aim for higher😄
You will be fine, you're applying for places wanting AAB-BBB with an A*AA prediction :smile:

Things would have to go pretty wrong in your exams for you to not get at least BBB, I'm guessing.
Reply 4
Original post by KittyN101
You will be fine, you're applying for places wanting AAB-BBB with an A*AA prediction :smile:

Things would have to go pretty wrong in your exams for you to not get at least BBB, I'm guessing.

Thank you, this has made me feel a lot better. Im just worried because my head of year said it would be crazy for me to look at russel group unis and she really knocked my confidence. Just wondering, do you have any personal experience with applying for psychology? If so where did you apply and how were your grades?
Reply 5
Original post by ed98

Thanks! Im worried that my GCSEs aren't very good though? Do you know if they look much at GCSEs?
Original post by ang.iet
Thank you, this has made me feel a lot better. Im just worried because my head of year said it would be crazy for me to look at russel group unis and she really knocked my confidence. Just wondering, do you have any personal experience with applying for psychology? If so where did you apply and how were your grades?

I'm still in year 13 myself (and I'm applying for languages) so I can't really advise on psychology specifically.

My predicted grades are the same as yours and I'm applying to unis with similar entry requirements to yours, and my head and head of year both told me I should be looking at places with higher entry requirements, maybe even Oxbridge :u: so I'm fairly sure they'd give you the same advice (your HoY sounds a bit crazy to think that A*AA isn't good enough for RG)
Reply 7
Original post by ang.iet
Thanks! Im worried that my GCSEs aren't very good though? Do you know if they look much at GCSEs?

Hi I didn't apply for psychology but I considered it and did a fair bit of research. However 3 of my friends study it and I can tell you what their grades were.

One of my best friends at GCSE got 1 A* 4 As 4 Bs and 2 Cs. At AS she got bbcd in psychology, georgraphy, biology and classics. She got offers from all her choices and her firm was Durham (AAA) and insurance was Southampton (AAB). She got her offers based on being predicted good grades despite average AS performance.

Friend 2 had 1 A, 6 Bs and 2 Cs. At AS she got 3 Bs and 1 C. She got offers from Southampton, Plymouth and Portsmouth. She didn't get offers from her other choices though.

Friend 3 was international so did 4 iGCSEs. She retook her AS levels after getting 2 Cs and 2 Ds. Second year AS she got AAAB in psychology, history, economics and biology. She got offers from all her choices. Firmed UCL and Bristol as insurance though.

So that's about all the info I have I'm afraid. The only thing I will say is that I have heard people say Cardiff place a lot of emphasis on GCSEs, in particular A* grades, so if I were you I might do some more research regarding whether or not this is the case before applying. Exeter has a good reputation, maybe look into going there? Good luck whatever you do though :smile:
no, they're not good enough, you have to get A* in everything.
How did you do at AS?

What did you get in GCSE maths?

If the above two are fine, then you should be good, best of luck with your applications!*
Reply 10
Original post by ed98
Hi I didn't apply for psychology but I considered it and did a fair bit of research. However 3 of my friends study it and I can tell you what their grades were.

One of my best friends at GCSE got 1 A* 4 As 4 Bs and 2 Cs. At AS she got bbcd in psychology, georgraphy, biology and classics. She got offers from all her choices and her firm was Durham (AAA) and insurance was Southampton (AAB). She got her offers based on being predicted good grades despite average AS performance.

Friend 2 had 1 A, 6 Bs and 2 Cs. At AS she got 3 Bs and 1 C. She got offers from Southampton, Plymouth and Portsmouth. She didn't get offers from her other choices though.

Friend 3 was international so did 4 iGCSEs. She retook her AS levels after getting 2 Cs and 2 Ds. Second year AS she got AAAB in psychology, history, economics and biology. She got offers from all her choices. Firmed UCL and Bristol as insurance though.

So that's about all the info I have I'm afraid. The only thing I will say is that I have heard people say Cardiff place a lot of emphasis on GCSEs, in particular A* grades, so if I were you I might do some more research regarding whether or not this is the case before applying. Exeter has a good reputation, maybe look into going there? Good luck whatever you do though :smile:

Thank you for your help, I think I will just go with those unis then x
Reply 11
[QUOTE=Noodlzzz;68014804]How did you do at AS?

What did you get in GCSE maths?

If the above two are fine, then you should be good, best of luck with your applications!*

At AS I got ABB and was predicted a grade higher for each subject for A2. I got a B in GCSE maths which is the minimum for those unis. Thanks for your advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest