The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by sleepysnooze
did he scar you mentally or physically?

What do you mean
Reply 21
Original post by 999tigger
The get your school or your parents to make a complaint. It will be harder because you failed to take down his number or the regstration of the car.

I still dont see that he did anything wrong.

So you don see problem with a police officer stopping a child for an invalid reason and terrorising them
Original post by 999sian
So you don see problem with a police officer stopping a child for an invalid reason and terrorising them

Tend to think you are trolling now. Strange one.

He stopped you and gave you a lift to school. he had a valid reason as you were menat to be in school.
He didnt terrorise you.

Make a complaint eitehr via the school or your parents.
Original post by saraxh
Wow. I've been late to school several times and that's never happened to me. This seems weird.

That's probably because it didn't happen. Trolling level 0/10.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 999sian
What do you mean

you know what I mean
Original post by I'mJustSomeGuy
If it ever happens again, refuse to give him you're name or any other details. He has no right to just because you were late.

Also, I used to have social anxiety. If you need any advice, just message me, I'd be glad to help :smile:

this is extremely poor advice and will result in your arrest , as a power of arrest exists if identity cannot be verified ...
Original post by zippyRN
this is extremely poor advice and will result in your arrest , as a power of arrest exists if identity cannot be verified ...

But why should he give his name and whatever else if he's trying to make it to school? It's just so random to be for asked personal information by the police without them giving a reason for doing so.
Original post by 999sian

There's an issue with truancy in your area (not necessarily you or your school) and the Police have been asked to be extra vigilant about school age people out of school when they should be in school. You fitted that profile, so he asked for your details so he could check you sounded credibly (ie didn't make something up) with your parents, then gave you a lift a) to help you out b) to check you went into school c) to negate him having to bother contacting your parents, because he judged you were telling the truth.
The only issue with his conduct is that he didn't give his officer number and station number. I'm guessing that you were considerably more than the normal 10 minutes late as otherwise in some schools they'd be stopping 100s of people every single day, in which case by the virtue of you not being at school he had reason to believe you were truanting and the police's job is to investigate crimes so they have powers to stop people even when they cannot be 100% sure they have committed a crime.
Original post by 999sian
Yes i did my parents are not happy about it. the problem is that it terrified me and i cried when i got to school. and it was not necessary to stop me and his reason for stoping me was not veiled as i was not truncating

don't see any reason to be angry at this... sounds like they had a drive over truancy and so were driving round looking for truants and you weren't in school when you should be do he asked you a few questions then took you to school

he can't have any reason to think you would be on the spectrum or have anxiety so no reason he'd have taken that into account
If this is a serious post, and isn't somebody trolling, then please brush up on your legal knowledge (specifically the Crime and Disorder Act, in this case http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1998/37/section/16)

''If a constable has reasonable cause to believe that a child or young person found by him in a public place in a specified area during a specified period—
(a) is of compulsory school age; and
(b) is absent from a school without lawful authority,the constable may remove the child or young person to designated premises, or to the school from which he is so absent''

Re; Shoulder number
There's no mention of any requirement for the officer to give their badge number, name or station. If you specifically ask for it then they should tell you (and it's visible on their shoulder, if they're following their rules) but in this case, you would probably have to specifically ask for it.

I agree with @999tigger here, I can't see why you would want to make a complaint when it sounds like this officer was doing exactly was his job was (although if you think he was overly threatening or aggressive, or just disagree with me, then feel free to make a complaint. Obviously)

I don't know what the rules are about you providing your name or address etc, but it's probably just something that they ask everybody they stop.
Original post by I'mJustSomeGuy
But why should he give his name and whatever else if he's trying to make it to school? It's just so random to be for asked personal information by the police without them giving a reason for doing so.

- truancy

- fits description of a suspect

- someone running while dressed for school/ work may be enough of an issue for an officer to want to find out more

this is the kind of stuff it takes police officers and health professionals years to develop their 'nose' it;s stuff that cannot be taught , only learned by experience ...

armchair quarterbacking of incidents is fruitless ( vs reflective practice for those involved , or where cctv / body cam footage etc exists to enable teaching points to be drawn out... )
Original post by zippyRN
- truancy

- fits description of a suspect

- someone running while dressed for school/ work may be enough of an issue for an officer to want to find out more

this is the kind of stuff it takes police officers and health professionals years to develop their 'nose' it;s stuff that cannot be taught , only learned by experience ...

armchair quarterbacking of incidents is fruitless ( vs reflective practice for those involved , or where cctv / body cam footage etc exists to enable teaching points to be drawn out... )

Ah well, you obviously seem to know more than me so I'm just gonna go with what you say. xD
Original post by JohnGreek
Is "social anxiety" a thing?

yes.
The officer did nothing wrong. All officers can be identified by their shoulder number, which is clearly visible. A uniformed officer does not have to show you his warrant card or ID. It's nice if they tell you their name, but they don't have to.

Police ofthen run truancy weeks - the aim is to bring kids who are ether late or skipping, back into school. Even if it wasn't a truancy op, he still did nothing wrong. Your social anxiety is not his problem.*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending