The Student Room Group

Worried about A levels (Mainly Physics)

We're only a month in and for quite a bit of the lesson I have no idea what is going on in physics? I understand it is a huge step up, but I didn't think I would struggle so much that I have no idea what is going on. This worries me as I wanted to go to uni and study aerospace engineering but thats not looking too good at the moment xD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AyyJeh
We're only a month in and for quite a bit of the lesson I have no idea what is going on in physics? I understand it is a huge step up, but I didn't think I would struggle so much that I have no idea what is going on. This worries me as I wanted to go to uni and study aerospace engineering but thats not looking too good at the moment xD

Relax. It takes time to adapt to the step up from GCSE so don't worry if your feeling lost. The best thing to do is keep working hard and improving on your mistakes. You'll find that to properly understand stuff at a-level you need to go over it several times, especially physics where half the work is in the understanding. Also don't worry about what mark/grades your getting now, I got an E in my first physics mock but then got an A at the end of the year.
Reply 2
Original post by AyyJeh

What exactly are you finding hard in physics?
Reply 3
What happens, does your teacher just say things that you don't understand? Ask them more questions.
Reply 4
Thank you all! It's just I do revise and put in extra work, I just find it complicated. I am a half glass empty kinda guy though so.. xD
Reply 5
Original post by AyyJeh
Thank you all! It's just I do revise and put in extra work, I just find it complicated. I am a half glass empty kinda guy though so.. xD

What exactly have you found complicated?
Reply 6
At the moment we are on particle physics and I don't get force exchange particles, gravitons, photons, gluons etc.. Like whats their purpose and what are they. I'm finding them hard to picture and understand.
Reply 7
Original post by AyyJeh
At the moment we are on particle physics and I don't get force exchange particles, gravitons, photons, gluons etc.. Like whats their purpose and what are they. I'm finding them hard to picture and understand.

When you find stuff hard, make sure you go home and read about it until you understand. Like look at different sources, different sources for one you understand. If you still don't understand ask on here or even better ask your teacher for a good explanation.

Check out this website, I found it useful. Especially the animation.
http://www.s-cool.co.uk/a-level/physics/particle-classification-and-interactions/revise-it/fundamental-forces-and-exchange-p

I agree it does seem a bit difficult to understand but even if you've tried everything and can't understand it. I guess the only solution is to memorise the definition and all the exchange particles and you should be able to answer if a question like that comes up
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AdeptDz
When you find stuff hard, make sure you go home and read about it until you understand. Like look at different sources, different sources for one you understand. If you still don't understand ask on here or even better ask your teacher for a good explanation.

Check out this website, I found it useful. Especially the animation.

I agree it does seem a bit difficult to understand but even if you've tried everything and can't understand it. I guess the only solution is to memorise the definition and all the exchange particles and you should be able to answer if a question like that comes up

Website link?
Reply 9
Original post by AyyJeh

As everyone said don't worry, your exams aren't until may/June time, so you have plenty of time to study..

I did maths chemistry physics and biology at AS, and found physics to be the biggest jump from GCSE, and having an ok teacher doesn't help.

If you have a textbook then attempt the questions at the end of chapter, try searching for something you don't understand on google, but be careful as some information there may not be needed for the exam so have your specification with you.

I know you can make it, don't give up. You are struggling now but in 2 years time you will be at university studying aerospace engineering. I believe in you.
I'm failing biology.........it's too much!!!
As a Physics teacher my advice will be to concentrate more on topics which you find easier. If it is only a month away then it is not advisable to spend all your energy to one particular topic. One more advise . The difficulty you are facing is not unique. At your level you simply have to know about these particles which forms the building blocks of all matters. Do not try to go deep into visualizing them because to understand fully you need the knowledge of Quantum Mechanics which at this level is not possible. So treat this topic more as an information based instead of trying to go deep into any concept.
Reply 13
Helloo.l'm new here and I need your help.May you suggest a physics book that really teach me physics effectively.?I know formulae but i cannot solve the problems :frown:
Reply 14
Original post by Shelale
Helloo.l'm new here and I need your help.May you suggest a physics book that really teach me physics effectively.?I know formulae but i cannot solve the problems :frown:

I really like the book; "Collins AQA a-Level Physics Year 1 and AS student book"
ISBN: 978-0-00-759022-3
Reply 15
Original post by asinghj
As everyone said don't worry, your exams aren't until may/June time, so you have plenty of time to study..

I did maths chemistry physics and biology at AS, and found physics to be the biggest jump from GCSE, and having an ok teacher doesn't help.

If you have a textbook then attempt the questions at the end of chapter, try searching for something you don't understand on google, but be careful as some information there may not be needed for the exam so have your specification with you.

I know you can make it, don't give up. You are struggling now but in 2 years time you will be at university studying aerospace engineering. I believe in you.

Thanks for the kind words! I really appreciate it! :smile:
Original post by fandom-queen
I'm failing biology.........it's too much!!!

Read your book and maybe try making notes (using your textbook). If your teachers haven't given you guys specification sheets, print them out !! Use this as a checklist before exams. They are not likely to test you in things that are not on the specification :smile:
Make sure you UNDERSTAND every single point on that spec sheet before your exams (tick off during revision period). You can even ask teachers to specify what points on your spec sheet they're testing you on before any assessments and use that to revise specific areas (read your notes/solve pp questions based on that module).
Closer to exam period make sure you do lots of past papers and look at mark schemes so you get an idea of what examiners are looking for/how simple or detailed your answers need to be.
I remember solving past papers and then-if I marked them- I would do it with a different coloured pen, listing (down the sides) any additional points from the mark scheme (even if the answers were right) and the night before the exam maybe sit down and go over all the papers you've done, reading through those additional ms points.
And LISTEN in class!! (I knoww, it can be hard with Biology, I found Bio so boring! But helps a lott and will really reduce your work load). Ask your teachers questions if you're confused, they'll be happy to help :smile:
Don't panic, you have agesss till exam period.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask :smile:
Good Luck.
Original post by Shelale

I find CGP books to be great, they are easy to understand, have all the required formulas, worked examples and questions to try
Original post by Terrificmagenta
Read your book and maybe try making notes (using your textbook). If your teachers haven't given you guys specification sheets, print them out !! Use this as a checklist before exams. They are not likely to test you in things that are not on the specification :smile:
Make sure you UNDERSTAND every single point on that spec sheet before your exams (tick off during revision period). You can even ask teachers to specify what points on your spec sheet they're testing you on before any assessments and use that to revise specific areas (read your notes/solve pp questions based on that module).
Closer to exam period make sure you do lots of past papers and look at mark schemes so you get an idea of what examiners are looking for/how simple or detailed your answers need to be.
I remember solving past papers and then-if I marked them- I would do it with a different coloured pen, listing (down the sides) any additional points from the mark scheme (even if the answers were right) and the night before the exam maybe sit down and go over all the papers you've done, reading through those additional ms points.
And LISTEN in class!! (I knoww, it can be hard with Biology, I found Bio so boring! But helps a lott and will really reduce your work load). Ask your teachers questions if you're confused, they'll be happy to help :smile:
Don't panic, you have agesss till exam period.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask :smile:
Good Luck.

Thank you! this is really useful. You have any tips for planning?
Original post by fandom-queen
Thank you! this is really useful. You have any tips for planning?

Umm.. Would you follow a timetable if you make one? I never could but I found setting myself (short term) targets worked a lot better. Much closer to exams I used the notes section in my phone; Sort of like a checklist? it usually looked something like this:

17th June:
Read bio notes on f214 (half an hour)
Bio past paper f214 (1.5 hrs)
Chem past paper (2hrs)

Not gonna lie, I crammed with biology in both y12 and 13 (literally started a week or two before the exams), but I used those spec sheets and they helped a lot. So never give up !

In year 13 I also had post it notes with a checklist of all the recent years past papers for each unit and I'd tick them off so I knew how many I had done.

i.e
Biology-unit 4 (F214):
Jun 2011
Jan 2012
Jun 2012
Jan 2013
Jun 2013
Jun 2014
Jun 2015

So I sort of had a record of what I had done and felt more on top of things, less worried. Maybe keep a record of your mark in each paper and redo the ones that you didn't do as well as you would have liked in?

I guess these tips would be more useful closer to your exams/mocks but I hope they help in some way 😁😊.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest