The Student Room Group

BM5 Southampton Medical Applicants 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xxxsbxxx
yes!! I think if I don't get a fifth tomorrow at 9 I'll feel disappointed ahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha Im on my third welcome email, got a bit worried before seeing other people are having the same thing.
Looking forward to my fourth now !
Original post by Neostigmine
Yep! Check the BM4 2017 thread and "@neostigmine" me if you have any questions in there :smile:

Do you think it would be a bad idea if I applied twice to two medical schools (one being Southampton)? It sounds like I have the best chance of getting an offer from Southampton and the other university I intend on applying for...
Original post by Hormonal
Do you think it would be a bad idea if I applied twice to two medical schools (one being Southampton)? It sounds like I have the best chance of getting an offer from Southampton and the other university I intend on applying for...

How do you mean twice? For two different medicine courses?

Southampton don't mind. Check first with the other university. I applied to BM5 and BM6 so it is possible!
Original post by Hormonal

I applied to two, twice.
Original post by AllyCat82
I applied to two, twice.

Which ones did you apply for? And I guess I'll be doing the same pending the response from King's...
S'oton and Newcastle. I am limited because am an old graduate with poor GCSEs. I am reliant on my UKCAT which is quite average (689). I applied to bm4 and bm5 but I have no chance of getting on bm4 really, I applied on the off chance because I had spaces. I fully expect to retake UKCAT next year and smash it :wink:
What if I have 6 IGCSE A*s? We traditionally do 6 here.
Did anyone else get the postcard? Thought it was a nice touch :smile:
Reply 108
Hoping to apply for the 5 year course as a graduate with a UKCAT of 663. Is this too low?
Original post by Drap23
Hoping to apply for the 5 year course as a graduate with a UKCAT of 663. Is this too low?

Read back through this thread and find the post that explains it all. Its in the last few pages.

Original post by The_Dragon_
Did anyone else get the postcard? Thought it was a nice touch :smile:

Cute if I remember. Kept mine aha.

Original post by Mira Mira
What if I have 6 IGCSE A*s? We traditionally do 6 here.

Get in touch and ask. They require 7 GCSEs but may be lenient with iGCSEs
I sat my whole maths A-level in year 12 instead of over the 2 years and at A2 achieved the 3A’s required. Will this hinder my application?
Original post by MCMXCVIII
I sat my whole maths A-level in year 12 instead of over the 2 years and at A2 achieved the 3A’s required. Will this hinder my application?

How many A levels do you have?
What are they?
It might be problematic if you have only got 3 meaning in Yr 13 you only took 2. I don't think Southampton would be cool with that as they weren't before but email them to check.
How many A levels do you have?
What are they?
It might be problematic if you have only got 3 meaning in Yr 13 you only took 2. I don't think Southampton would be cool with that as they weren't before but email them to check.

A-levels:
Maths - A - year 12
biology - A
chemistry - A

AS:

Physics - B
Further Maths - A
A-levels:
Maths - A - year 12
biology - A
chemistry - A

AS:

Physics - B
Further Maths - A

So I did 4 a levels, I did a complete A level in Yr 12 and the other three in Yr12 and Yr13 (As and A2).They wouldn't accept my Yr12 A in psychology and so my offer was purely based on the 3 I took in Yr 13. This was 2010 so check with them, but they may well want you to have done them together to show you can handle the work load.

Are you over 21 years old? They might be more lenient if you're a mature non grad (over 21, no other degrees).

Call them to be sure. I'd say email but you're running out of time at the moment for this year.
(edited 7 years ago)
So I did 4 a levels, I did a complete A level in Yr 12 and the other three in Yr12 and Yr13 (As and A2).They wouldn't accept my Yr12 A in psychology and so my offer was purely based on the 3 I took in Yr 13. This was 2010 so check with them, but they may well want you to have done them together to show you can handle the work load.

Are you over 21 years old? They might be more lenient if you're a mature non grad (over 21, no other degrees).

Call them to be sure. I'd say email but you're running out of time at the moment for this year.

I'm undergrad taking a gap year. Already called and they said they won't consider.
I'm undergrad taking a gap year. Already called and they said they won't consider.

Sorry :frown:

As a mature student they may be more lenient if you're unsuccessful at getting a place before. But sorry to hear that
Hi everyone, I've applied to Birmingham, Leicester, Southampton and Sheffield!
GCSEs: 10 A*, 1 A
A levels: A*AA (I'm on a gap year)
UKCAT: 2270
So nervous to hear back but I know it could be months. Where has everyone else applied to?:biggrin:
Original post by jemmaaa0853
Hi everyone, I've applied to Birmingham, Leicester, Southampton and Sheffield!
GCSEs: 10 A*, 1 A
A levels: A*AA (I'm on a gap year)
UKCAT: 2270
So nervous to hear back but I know it could be months. Where has everyone else applied to?:biggrin:

Southampton, queen Mary's, st George's and kings

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else feel theyre choosing between this and SGUL they seem to have very similar cut offs for ukcat
Original post by smoggie98
Anyone else feel theyre choosing between this and SGUL they seem to have very similar cut offs for ukcat

Lol I thought Southampton had higher cut off's ??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending