The Student Room Group

2017 UCAS Apply FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I got ACCC for AS Levels, and want to apply for a course at Loughborough for ABB. Do I need to wait for my predicted results, and if they stay as ACC, would an application there be considered?

Also, I am stuck on 2 more choices for university. I have:
Reading - AAB
Loughborough - ABB
Oxford Brookes - BBB

I do not know whether I should add another ABB, and whether to add another BBB with the last as BBC?
Original post by Much118
I got ACCC for AS Levels, and want to apply for a course at Loughborough for ABB. Do I need to wait for my predicted results, and if they stay as ACC, would an application there be considered?

Also, I am stuck on 2 more choices for university. I have:
Reading - AAB
Loughborough - ABB
Oxford Brookes - BBB

I do not know whether I should add another ABB, and whether to add another BBB with the last as BBC?

You can't send anything off until your teachers have written your reference, which is where your predicted grades go. If your predictions stay at ACC, you will need to revise your choices quite a bit downwards. Nothing wrong with having an aspirational choice or two, but the rest need to be within your grasp and you might be well advised to look at universities which make offers in points, not grades.
Reply 22
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
You can't send anything off until your teachers have written your reference, which is where your predicted grades go. If your predictions stay at ACC, you will need to revise your choices quite a bit downwards. Nothing wrong with having an aspirational choice or two, but the rest need to be within your grasp and you might be well advised to look at universities which make offers in points, not grades.

Thanks. I've already removed Reading, as I think its high in aspiration. I think however, I can get ABB, its just a case of getting my predicted grades.
Reply 23
Hi, I am wanting to study Media Studies/ Communication and media and in my AS I got two B's in media and film and am also doing Cambridge technicals in OCR and I think I will end up doing the Introductory Diploma which is equivalent to one A-level. But I will be getting a confirmation tomorrow from my ICT teacher tomorrow weather I will be doing the Introductory diploma or the subsidiary diploma as the subsidiary diploma is worth 1.5 A-levels but when i look on the UCAS requirements it doesn't say anything about introductory diploma it only states this

BTEC level 3 Subsidiary Diploma (QCF) (Suite known as nationals)

General information on subjects/grades required for entry:Must be offered along with either two A-levels, two 6-unit BTEC Subsidiary Diplomas/ OCR Cambridge Technical Introductory Diplomas or a BTEC 12-unit National Diploma/ OCR Cambridge Technical Diploma.

Required grades:Grade Distinction *.

I don't understand please someone help me I am only worried about the BTEC side of things as I don't know whether I should put Subsidiary Diploma or put introductory diploma???
Hi, I am applying this year post A2.
Last year I had an A in a-level maths because of C3
This year I took a resit of C3 and obtained an A*
I have both maths and further maths so the units in each changed.
Do I have to include both the A and the A* in the UCAS application??
Reply 25
I did my AS exams this year but my sixth form college did not predict me any higher than my results of AAB (Chem, Physics, Maths) unlike many other sixth forms and colleges which do often predict higher. I can't apply for Aeronautical Engineering at Imperial College London which has entry requirements of A*A*A and apart from Imperial, there isn't anywhere else i'd like to study aeronautical engineering because it's a rare course which isn't offered at many other places. So I'm in the process of changing my personal statement to Chemistry which I'm eligible to apply to UCL and other universities (etc.) which I would also like to study at. So, I find myself in the situation of preparing to apply for chemistry courses and planning to get into aeronautical engineering at imperial through ucas Adjustments after A2 results day if i meet the entry requirements of A*A*A in the end or exceed. But what i'm wondering is if it will be possible to apply for a course that is different to my personal statement based loosely on Chemistry through adjustments?

Anyone from past experience and information will be much appreciated as I have researched this a lot and had no luck! :h:
(And any information from anyone that went through adjustments at Imperial because I know they have done Adjustments in the past but I'm worried i'll have to take a gap year and re-apply if they don't have any vacancies for adjustments for aeronautical engineering)
Reply 26
I'm second year at college and starting my UCAS applications, all of the universities I want to apply for are AAA/AAB entry and I feel confident I can achieve this. In mocks last year (my courses didn't require AS exams) I achieved BBD, the D was in Sociology and the teachers of this subject agreed the exam was too difficult due to poor grades across the college.
This past week my teachers released my UCAS predicted grades which universities would look at. They've predicted me at ABC which my chosen universities won't accept.
My UCAS adviser suggested I speak to my teachers and ask them to increase my grades if I feel confident I can achieve them, but how do I phrase this to my teachers? I can't just ask them to increase my predicted grades can I?
Original post by Ameeka
I'm second year at college and starting my UCAS applications, all of the universities I want to apply for are AAA/AAB entry and I feel confident I can achieve this. In mocks last year (my courses didn't require AS exams) I achieved BBD, the D was in Sociology and the teachers of this subject agreed the exam was too difficult due to poor grades across the college.
This past week my teachers released my UCAS predicted grades which universities would look at. They've predicted me at ABC which my chosen universities won't accept.
My UCAS adviser suggested I speak to my teachers and ask them to increase my grades if I feel confident I can achieve them, but how do I phrase this to my teachers? I can't just ask them to increase my predicted grades can I?

i got my parents to phone in and explain the situation at my college. Also explain to them what you're going to differently from this year to change your grades. I got a C in biology at AS which doesn't count but i still have to declare it. This i didn't realise at the time so i didn't revise for it which i now regret. Im predicted to get an A at the end of the year but I've been told that uni's most likely won't believe it
Original post by Ameeka

Even if you could convince them to do so, it wont look that realistic to go from a D to an A in sociology, universities will judge whether or not they find them realistic and if they dont they might not give you an offer anyway.
Original post by claireestelle
Even if you could convince them to do so, it wont look that realistic to go from a D to an A in sociology, universities will judge whether or not they find them realistic and if they dont they might not give you an offer anyway.

I agree.
If you want them to change your predicted grades though, id speak to the teachers and explain how/why you think you can achieve them.
Original post by Ameeka

Unis won't believe the predictions you want - look at some unis with lower requirements.

There is no point in having offers you won't meet.
Reply 31
Original post by Muttley79
Unis won't believe the predictions you want - look at some unis with lower requirements.

There is no point in having offers you won't meet.

My issue is that I believe I can meet these offers!
I'd say the max you can get is AAB. AAA is unrealistic and you probably wont get it, apply for a few AAB then a couple of ABB and maybe BBB/BBC as a back up.
Predictions are only a small part of the application however unis will see that going from a D to a B/A is quite unrealistic and so won't exactly believe the predictions the school has set.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ameeka
My issue is that I believe I can meet these offers!

Your teachers don't though and they have much more experience in judging this. Apply next year with the grades rather than this year ...
Original post by Ameeka

You gotta prove to them that you're able to achieve those grades, any tests and exams you get now, try to get very good grades. Then go back to them and say "see how I've improved" etc etc and they may change it for you.

Either way, in the end Universities will judge you on your actual grades, so most importantly you need to ace those summer exams.
Reply 36
I would need some help completing my UCAS application in the part that asks me the date of first entry to UK. I am a prospective undergraduate international student. It says: "If you are not currently living in the UK, please enter the date you expect to enter the UK to start your course." However, I have no idea when that date will be, as it will obviously depend on being accepted, my final choice and travel issues. I would be extremely thankful if someone could tell me what should I do.
If it provides any of you with a little bit of motivation, I went from ABD to AAB (should have got the B remarked :/). Unis rejected thinking it was too unrealistic (even with the extenuating circumstances).

Achieve the best grades you can and if you're still unhappy about the uni choice, reapply next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Should I email a copy of the statement of results to the universities I applied?
Original post by Gary7
Should I email a copy of the statement of results to the universities I applied?

If they ask for it.

Quick Reply

Latest