The Student Room Group

Where was your first part-time job?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hugs31
SportsDirect.com - glad I don't work there anymore but I guess like any first job it provided experience (whether that be positive or negative) and got me on the job ladder.

Aww that sucks :frown: , but at least you're not there anymore.
Kitchen porter in a Chinese restaurant. Free food eaten with staff before working and free meal again after working. Pay was good.
waitress in a season ticket box at white hart lane (tottenham's football stadium).. being an arsenal fan, it wasn't ideal:tongue:
Reply 83
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Aww that sucks :frown: , but at least you're not there anymore.

£5.20 p/h, you weren't allowed a break unless you were working more than 5 hours, had to sign in 15 mins before your shift, had to continuosly flog the bags for life, had to lift up your top and shake your trousers in front of a supervisor, CCTV (and inevitably customers) to check you weren't stealing anything on your way out. There were no perks to working there either, you got 15% off but you could only use it on a Thursday, had to fill in a form, had to buy a bag for life (even if they are useful for laundry, moving house etc.) to boost the store's KPI, they also had your sizes on record from when they ordered your uniform so you couldn't buy for anyone else at a discount.

I realised more from my jobs after just how poorly SD compared to most places on the high street. Those who work in the warehouses have it much, much worse though even after those conditions were exposed in the media.
(edited 7 years ago)
Worked as a waiter/server in a cafe for 6 months before being trained to become a Barista. Actually really loved the job.
Next for me, then HMV. Both temp jobs. Next was awful, but HMV was pretty good :biggrin:
Original post by Hugs31
£5.20 p/h, you weren't allowed a break unless you were working more than 5 hours, had to sign in 15 mins before your shift, had to continuosly flog the bags for life, had to lift up your top and shake your trousers in front of a supervisor, CCTV (and inevitably customers) to check you weren't stealing anything on your way out. There were no perks to working there either, you got 15% off but you could only use it on a Thursday, had to fill in a form, had to buy a bag for life (even if they are useful for laundry, moving house etc.) to boost the store's KPI, they also had your sizes on record from when they ordered your uniform so you couldn't buy for anyone else at a discount.

I realised more from my jobs after just how poorly SD compared to most places on the high street. Those who work in the warehouses have it much, much worse though even after those conditions were exposed in the media.

That sucks :frown:, and M&S did a similar thing with telling us to empty our pockets. :angry:
Original post by Malevolent
Worked as a waiter/server in a cafe for 6 months before being trained to become a Barista. Actually really loved the job.

I envy your job :h:
Mcdonalds
I envy your job :h:

it was great. The pay wasn't great but it was off set by how much I actually enjoyed what I did. If I could I'd totally change to that instead of my current job.
it was great. The pay wasn't great but it was off set by how much I actually enjoyed what I did. If I could I'd totally change to that instead of my current job.

What's your current job?
What's your current job?

working in a betting shop, combined with my anxiety it's going horrendously.
sales assistant in the card factory
Aww :frown:, at least you got free food though haha.

the free food defiantly made up for lack of pay. but despite the low pay i loved my time working there, and would have no problem in going back to cover the odd shift here and there if i was asked to.,
Front of House Server for a small restaurant, now doing the same at a bigger restaurant. Looking for a job in retail though

Posted from TSR Mobile
technically it was at a local chicken wings joint (in Canada), but I only went for one shift. Realistically, it was a petrol pump (aka gas station) attendant job. What a sweet gig that was, cost price munchies!
working in a betting shop, combined with my anxiety it's going horrendously.

That's awful :frown:, perhaps finding something else may be best. I definitely wouldn't recommend staying.
Original post by fxlloutboyy
Front of House Server for a small restaurant, now doing the same at a bigger restaurant. Looking for a job in retail though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool :smile:, and in a clothing shop or something?
Original post by crazycanuck
technically it was at a local chicken wings joint (in Canada), but I only went for one shift. Realistically, it was a petrol pump (aka gas station) attendant job. What a sweet gig that was, cost price munchies!

I bet that was interesting haha :smile:, but if it was at a petrol station, I'm guessing you could get a lot of difficult customers.
Yeah, I really hate what I'm doing at the moment including the awful pay and bring treated awfully too. Much rather work in a supermarket or clothes shop for a change

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending