The Student Room Group

Personal Statement HELP PLEASE

Hey guys,

I have had mixed opinions about what to include in my personal statement, I'm basically just under the character and line count, 46 lines and 3997 characters so just about right. However, my teachers say it is important/essential to include a large part about my A-Level subjects (I'm applying for Economics and am taking Math Economics Business Studies and EPQ), currently I've got two sentences about how the EPQ will benefit me and one sentence on why my a levels will help me.

To do this, I've had to remove a bit I wrote about what I want to do in the future with the skills I gain on the course.

What would you feel is more important?

Really need help with this thanksss
Original post by azizadil1998
Hey guys,

I have had mixed opinions about what to include in my personal statement, I'm basically just under the character and line count, 46 lines and 3997 characters so just about right. However, my teachers say it is important/essential to include a large part about my A-Level subjects (I'm applying for Economics and am taking Math Economics Business Studies and EPQ), currently I've got two sentences about how the EPQ will benefit me and one sentence on why my a levels will help me.

To do this, I've had to remove a bit I wrote about what I want to do in the future with the skills I gain on the course.

Really need help with this thanks

I feel the last bit would be better as the universities already know what you are studying and what skills can be gained from that .
Anyway the last part shows you are determined and organised and therefore are not doing the degree for the sake of it.
Original post by azizadil1998
Hey guys,

Really need help with this thanksss

Don't include a paragraph doing the whole ******** "maths A level will help me with economics because it has improved my maths skills".

Teachers often do recommend this -partly because they sometimes have students who don't have anything else to write about and partly because this is what they've always recommended and noone got rejected (newsflash - almost noone gets rejected because of their PS) and partly because they genuinely don't understand what makes a good PS. (see https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/breaking-news/teachers-and-academics-disagree-over-what-makes-a-good-ucas-personal ).

Linked your A levels to your degree is either pointing out the obvious (in which case it's a waste of characters) or really tenuous (in which case it is also a waste of characters). Discussion of your A level/EPQ studies should be focused on specific topics and pieces of work you've enjoyed (or struggled with) that give the reader an insight into your interests.
Reply 3
Don't include toss about A-Levels, especially if it means cutting out meaningful text. I only mentioned my A-Level subjects in passing once during my PS and it's turned out fine. Talk about your supercurriculars instead.
Original post by PQ
Don't include a paragraph doing the whole ******** "maths A level will help me with economics because it has improved my maths skills".

Teachers often do recommend this -partly because they sometimes have students who don't have anything else to write about and partly because this is what they've always recommended and noone got rejected (newsflash - almost noone gets rejected because of their PS) and partly because they genuinely don't understand what makes a good PS. (see https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/breaking-news/teachers-and-academics-disagree-over-what-makes-a-good-ucas-personal ).

Linked your A levels to your degree is either pointing out the obvious (in which case it's a waste of characters) or really tenuous (in which case it is also a waste of characters). Discussion of your A level/EPQ studies should be focused on specific topics and pieces of work you've enjoyed (or struggled with) that give the reader an insight into your interests.

Original post by trythis
Don't include toss about A-Levels, especially if it means cutting out meaningful text. I only mentioned my A-Level subjects in passing once during my PS and it's turned out fine. Talk about your supercurriculars instead.

Thanks a lot both of you! Just needed a second opinion to know I'm doing the "right" thing I suppose. Basically throughout my statement I've talked about how I love economics and why and what I've done why it's important (I really do love it I'm not even kidding) so when two of my teachers said that I was slightly confused, but to me it doesn't make sense personally because the Math I do at A Level won't even be used at uni anyways - and admissions tutors will already know the A Levels im studying and why they may help me so the only thing I've talked about is EPQ, and Economics/Business how they may be of benefit but not in detail just a sentence. Think this is fine? Instead I mentioned what I [genuinely] want to do in the future with my degree.
Original post by PQ

thanks a lot for the article it clarified things quite well for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending