The Student Room Group

GCSE To A Level Physics

So i sallied though GCSE Physics with no revision i found it really easy and now i am doing A Level Physics and I got a U Grade in the first Particle Physics Assessment any advise on what i should do. How much harder is A Level Physics than GCSE?
Original post by 999sian
So i sallied though GCSE Physics with no revision i found it really easy and now i am doing A Level Physics and I got a U Grade in the first Particle Physics Assessment any advise on what i should do. How much harder is A Level Physics than GCSE?

This is basically a sign to buckle up and work harder. If your not interested in Physics you should of dropped it. However, if you are then you can do much better and you'll see a little bit later on how hard it is for you.
Particle physics is one of the easier topics. You should get a CGP guide and just make notes off that. A-level Physics is a whole different monster compared to GCSE.
Reply 3
Forget what you have done in GCSE . A level Physics is ten times harder. You can not achieve good marks unless you practice and revise. I am tutoring both levels and can point out where the students falter. It is when they have to write answers explaining a concept. These questions require prior practice and not like what you have done in GCSE. Often students do not realize this and are of the impression that understanding is enough to be able to write such answers. My advice to them is always try to practice such questions from past papers for each topic.
Reply 4
Original post by DarkEnergy
Particle physics is one of the easier topics. You should get a CGP guide and just make notes off that. A-level Physics is a whole different monster compared to GCSE.

Yeah my teacher told me that and yeah i have kinda stolen the school one and did read it before the test and the class notes
Reply 5
Original post by sengupta
Forget what you have done in GCSE . A level Physics is ten times harder. You can not achieve good marks unless you practice and revise. I am tutoring both levels and can point out where the students falter. It is when they have to write answers explaining a concept. These questions require prior practice and not like what you have done in GCSE. Often students do not realize this and are of the impression that understanding is enough to be able to write such answers. My advice to them is always try to practice such questions from past papers for each topic.

The New AQA course does not have much pass paper material. Do you know where i chould get some practice questions for Partial Physics
Reply 6
Original post by 999sian
The New AQA course does not have much pass paper material. Do you know where i chould get some practice questions for Partial Physics

I do not think you can get many of them on the net. I at least could not get any.In the mean time I have followed the specifications and tried to ask questions in general from my experience.
I agree A level Physics is ten times harder than GCSE Physics. You achieved a U in the first assessment? I guess that's a warning sign. I'm not even joking, we started the physics with 10 people, but now there are 3 people remaining and doing it for A2 because the majority failed. I failed and dropped it as well. One of them passed it just because he was redoing the year and already had the knowledge, without even having to revise as much as we did. Btw I did AQA Physics
I don't want to scare you but if you still wanna carry on with A level Physics, make sure you revise as much as you can and stay after school, if you aren't sure of something. If you don't you will literally be so behind and won't understand the rest of the course. Also ask your teacher for extra question papers and do as many past papers as you can.
May I ask if you're doing A Level Maths and what you achieved in GCSE Maths?
Reply 8
Original post by Lucky987
I agree A level Physics is ten times harder than GCSE Physics. You achieved a U in the first assessment? I guess that's a warning sign. I'm not even joking, we started the physics with 10 people, but now there are 3 people remaining and doing it for A2 because the majority failed. I failed and dropped it as well. One of them passed it just because he was redoing the year and already had the knowledge, without even having to revise as much as we did. Btw I did AQA Physics
I don't want to scare you but if you still wanna carry on with A level Physics, make sure you revise as much as you can and stay after school, if you aren't sure of something. If you don't you will literally be so behind and won't understand the rest of the course. Also ask your teacher for extra question papers and do as many past papers as you can.
May I ask if you're doing A Level Maths and what you achieved in GCSE Maths?

Yes i am doing A Level Maths
Reply 9
A U grade at the moment is a worrying sign but don't be too worried about it. You're bound to do bad in the first assessment because of the step up. So keep your head and keep on moving forward!

Quick Reply

Latest