The Student Room Group

Struggling to start assignments

I am a first year and I've got a block about starting writing my assignments:frown: I feel like I can't write them because I'm not clever enough and whatever I write won't be right. I've not got any of the set books yet ... do we really have to read them all?

I don't know why I'm making this thread. I've just got loads to do and I'm procrastinating and yeah.
I found I only needed one or two books.

In regards to starting assignments - I was on an essay heavy course. I found that the first one or two were the hardest. It was getting into the swing of things more than anything else.

I found breaking the essay question down into several chunks and working on a chunk at a time helped a lot. I used to pin pieces of paper to my notice board which had mind maps / bullet points of them. Everytime I'd completed one part of the question, I'd highlight them / tick them off. That way, I knew what I needed to do.
Get started. You'll kick yourself for delaying. I always did.
Original post by littlenorthernlass
I am a first year and I've got a block about starting writing my assignments:frown: I feel like I can't write them because I'm not clever enough and whatever I write won't be right. I've not got any of the set books yet ... do we really have to read them all?

I don't know why I'm making this thread. I've just got loads to do and I'm procrastinating and yeah.

Even in my masters year I experienced the same feelings as you, struggling to start writing assignments because I felt like whatever I wrote wouldn't be good enough, until the deadline was right up on me. With regards to reading the books- unless your a Literature student you shouldn't need to read a whole book, just use the index to find pages relevant to the theme of your assignment. I think my first bibliography had something like 10 items in it- a mixture of books and online journals.
Original post by DrSocSciences
Get started. You'll kick yourself for delaying. I always did.

Starting is the hardest part imo.
Reply 5

There is normally one key text for each module which is compulsory reading, but i have also had classes when we had to read a different shakespeare play every week!

Ofc you are clever enough. They wouldnt have accpeted you on the course if you didnt have the potential.

It is just the same as your A level and you are going to have to start getting used to organising your time. They are going to wnat the work from you at some stage, so best get organised and not leave it till the last minute.

Just as in A level you need to:

1. Plan your essay- you can do this just by jotting down ideas, understanding your question and getting a rough idea on the areas you would like to cover. Its easy to do this becayse its just ideas and a few notes, which you cna change at a later date.

2. Doing research. You should be looking at your notes, what it says in at least one of the core texts (get an oversight) and any other articles on the subject. This shouldnt give you a mindblock because its just note taking. Your core texts are your basic tools and you must find a way of getting sight of them. Just go to the bookshop or library or check with your coursemates. You cna get an idea of which ones are worth buying. Normally at least one per module plis whatever your lecturer suggests you might consider. Second hand or group share is fine.

3. You should then be in a much better position to understand the question and can formulate a more detailed essay plan.

4. Write a first draft.

5. Check it and redraft bits if needed.

So my question is: Have you done stages 1-3 yet? Which are realy preparation for writing the essay, rather than actually writing it. That's 50% of your task and is easier to do because you dont have to commit and can still make plenty of changes.

When it comes to writing then the fact you have a clear essay plan will let you focus on each paragraph and break it down, which makes it simpler. Taking small steps and building on them will soon get your essay done.

Submitting something is going to be better than nothing.

If you are really worried, then run your essay plan past your tutor or seek clarification you are on the right track. They know students can be overwhelmed at the beginning, so just focus on getting your work in and then perfecting your method when you do subsequent assignments.

I hate procrastinating, but at some stage you just have to sit down and focus. Make a decent effort, be methodical in completing all the mini tasks and you will get it written.
I made this mistake in my first year. Kept putting off the assignments because I believed I couldn't do them.
By the time I did get around to them, I had become ill and ended up having to get extensions, which was very stressful. Now I'm in 2nd year, I just get stuck in as soon as the first one comes up.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Starting is the hardest part imo.

Yes, but you've only got to do it once.
Skip the introduction and just get into the meat of the essay. Find a point that is relative and just start writing. You can worry about the beginning and getting things into linear order later. Just focus on getting some words down on the page to begin with. No matter how rough the draft is, you can always perfect it later.*

Hello :smile:

First and foremost I'd suggest talking to your lecturers and explain that you are struggling, they should be able to help give you a push in the right direction. Then, I'd reach out to your Learning Development at university - I've only just took advantage of this service in Third Year and use I'd done it in First. They can't tell you what to write but they can help you structure and make a start.

Book wise, you don't have to read them all - they are just suggested and references that you can use to help you write the assignment.

Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending