The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medical School 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marina Stomeo
Yeah, I know that, but would you say it is worth a shot?

656 could be quite risky babygirl. Not sure i'd risk it when there could be safer options.
Original post by Marina Stomeo
1970 in the ukcat and band 3, scared is an understatement

If you love the uni I would risk it
Reply 182
Last year Newcastle's cutoff was 682.5 average in the UKCAT (2047.5 overall) found here:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ukcat_threshold_20162017_for_a10

Seen as the average UKCAT score has dropped this year (compare with last year, down from 1902 to 1893 found here: http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/2016%20Final%20Mean%20Scores%20071016.pdf ) I would say the UKCAT cuttoff should be about 680.

My advice would be that you're fine to apply with a UKCAT of 680 or above. It could easily be 670 so don't worry if you're not 700+. It's not going to be 710+ like some trolls are saying. I would say 690 max!

Again, this is just my opinion that I've based on actual figures. I hope it helps anyone who is concerned! I'm applying with 690 average :smile:
Original post by elish2chambers
If you love the uni I would risk it

If you loved medicine you wouldn't.
Rather choose a university that you have more chance of getting into medicine with than risking it just for that university.
Original post by Cal 1
Last year Newcastle's cutoff was 682.5 average in the UKCAT (2047.5 overall) found here:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ukcat_threshold_20162017_for_a10

Seen as the average UKCAT score has dropped this year (compare with last year, down from 1902 to 1893 found here: http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/2016%20Final%20Mean%20Scores%20071016.pdf ) I would say the UKCAT cuttoff should be about 680.

My advice would be that you're fine to apply with a UKCAT of 680 or above. It could easily be 670 so don't worry if you're not 700+. It's not going to be 710+ like some trolls are saying. I would say 690 max!

Again, this is just my opinion that I've based on actual figures. I hope it helps anyone who is concerned! I'm applying with 690 average :smile:

It's been 745 in the past
Does anyone know if graduates applying to the 5yr course are ranked separately to school leavers or not?
Reply 186
Original post by AllyCat82
Does anyone know if graduates applying to the 5yr course are ranked separately to school leavers or not?

Nope, just within the same cohort.
Reply 187
Original post by YouHaveProblems
It's been 745 in the past

It inflated massively in the year where the AVERAGE score for DA was 771. This only reinforces the idea that there's a strong correlation between average UKCAT score and Newcastle's cutoff.
Original post by Cal 1
It inflated massively in the year where the AVERAGE score for DA was 771. This only reinforces the idea that there's a strong correlation between average UKCAT score and Newcastle's cutoff.

The average score of that year wasn't much different to the average score this year.
Reply 189
The average score of that year wasn't much different to the average score this year.

A difference of 30 is quite significant in the UKCAT.
Original post by Cal 1
A difference of 30 is quite significant in the UKCAT.

626.25 was that years mean ukcat score.
643.7 was this years mean ukcat score.

The difference is around 17 points. That difference isn't significant and any significance would imply that this years would be higher.
Reply 191
626.25 was that years mean ukcat score.
643.7 was this years mean ukcat score.

The difference is around 17 points. That difference isn't significant and any significance would imply that this years would be higher.

Wrong results, my bad the difference isn't 30, but:

1893 / 3 is 631 average this year... How on earth did you get 643.7 as this years average?
Original post by Cal 1
Wrong results, my bad the difference isn't 30, but:

1893 / 3 is 631 average this year... How on earth did you get 643.7 as this years average?

I accidentally used the preliminary 2016 score.
The same point still stands though. It's just now around 5 points different instead of 17.
Reply 193
I accidentally used the preliminary 2016 score.
The same point still stands though. It's just now around 5 points different instead of 17.

If I'm honest I think you have to take the 745 as a bit of an anomaly, but I could be wrong. Despite that, I think 700+ is rather pessimistic:

Taking an average of 2011 - 2014 gives 693 average cutoff.
Taking an average of 2011 - 2015 gives 669.5 average cutoff.
Taking an average of 2011 - 2016 gives 671.7 average cutoff.

Based on that I think it's safe to identify that year as anomalous.

Furthermore, why be pessimistic and worry people by telling them it'll be 745... It almost certainly won't be.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Cal 1
If I'm honest I think you have to take the 745 as a bit of an anomaly, but I could be wrong. Despite that, I think 700+ is rather pessimistic:

Taking an average of 2011 - 2014 gives 693 average cutoff.
Taking an average of 2011 - 2015 gives 669.5 average cutoff.
Taking an average of 2011 - 2016 gives 671.7 average cutoff.

Based on that I think it's safe to identify that year as anomalous.

Furthermore, why be pessimistic and worry people by telling them it'll be 745... It almost certainly won't be.

That isn't evidence of an anomaly. It depends on the scores of the applicants applying to Newcastle. In 2014 because many people applied with higher scores then their cut-off score was 745. This was just as likely any other year.

This could easily be the case this year and you made the claim that "it definitely won't be 710+ like the trolls say", that isn't a valid claim as it's quite likely that that could be the case. It doesn't necessarily mean they're trolls either for saying a likely possibility that some might not want to come to accept.

I never even claimed that it would be 745 and even so there is a difference between being realistic opposed to being pessimistic. I am not saying it will be high for the purpose of pessimism. I never actually claimed it to be high but i oppose your view of saying it definitely won't be over 710, being realistic is needed because what's better; people convincing themselves it can't be that high and applying their with false expectations or having a more realistic outlook on it and then choosing to be optimistic or pessimistic with regards to being accepted there?

The thing i actually said was "It has been 745 in the past". I never actually stated my view originally.
Reply 195
That isn't evidence of an anomaly. It depends on the scores of the applicants applying to Newcastle. In 2014 because many people applied with higher scores then their cut-off score was 745. This was just as likely any other year.

This could easily be the case this year and you made the claim that "it definitely won't be 710+ like the trolls say", that isn't a valid claim as it's quite likely that that could be the case. It doesn't necessarily mean they're trolls either for saying a likely possibility that some might not want to come to accept.

I never even claimed that it would be 745 and even so there is a difference between being realistic opposed to being pessimistic. I am not saying it will be high for the purpose of pessimism. I never actually claimed it to be high but i oppose your view of saying it definitely won't be over 710, being realistic is needed because what's better; people convincing themselves it can't be that high and applying their with false expectations or having a more realistic outlook on it and then choosing to be optimistic or pessimistic with regards to being accepted there?

The thing i actually said was "It has been 745 in the past". I never actually stated my view originally.

Either way, the averages strongly suggest it's unlikely to be much over 700, if at all. I agree it's not good to give false hope, but I don't think it's good to give the reverse either.

I don't think that they base it solely on the standard that applies is what I'm saying. I would say this plays a major factor yes, but do you not think it seems rather a bizarre coincidence that they would have 2980 cutoffs one year followed by 2300 the next?... Do you not think this was them trying to re-adjust their cutoff?

Okay in that case I misinterpreted your comment. Still, I stand by what I've said. I think being realistic involves not getting your hopes up that the cutoff will be 575 again, but equally not doubting yourself by assuming they'll be 745 or similar. Rather, I think being realistic would be to look at the averages, the minimum and the maximum and come to a conclusion yourself. Based on this I think a realistic view would be somewhere between 680 - 700, but each to their own. Only time will tell.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Cal 1
Either way, the averages strongly suggest it's unlikely to be much over 700, if at all. I agree it's not good to give false hope, but I don't think it's good to give the reverse either.

I don't think that they base it solely on the standard that applies is what I'm saying. I would say this plays a major factor yes, but do you not think it seems rather a bizarre coincidence that they would have 2980 cutoffs one year followed by 2300 the next... Do you not think this was them trying to re-adjust their cutoff?

Okay in that case I misinterpreted your comment. Still, I stand by what I've said. I think being realistic involves not getting your hopes up that the cutoff will be 575 again, but equally not doubting yourself by assuming they'll be 745 or similar. Rather, I think being realistic would be to look at the averages, the minimum and the maximum and come to a conclusion yourself. Based on this I think a realistic view would be somewhere between 680 - 700, but each to their own. Only time will tell.

The idea about them re-adjusting is just a big assumption that carries no weight.
If the cut off scores can be around 690, it wouldn't be irrational to have a cut off around 710 this year.
I would say around 700 would be safe to apply. I definitely wouldn't say it's safe to apply with 650/660 etc. Although it's a possibility it's just not that safe if you have better options.
I agree with it being likely to be 680-700.
Reply 197
The idea about them re-adjusting is just a big assumption that carries no weight.
If the cut off scores can be around 690, it wouldn't be irrational to have a cut off around 710 this year.
I would say around 700 would be safe to apply. I definitely wouldn't say it's safe to apply with 650/660 etc. Although it's a possibility it's just not that safe if you have better options.
I agree with it being likely to be 680-700.

That was just an example of other factors they may consider. I would say carries weight in that it seems a very big coincidence for such a massive inflation(745) followed by such a massive deflation(575) relative to the average of the past 6 years.
That's a very good point and I get where you're coming from now. Equally you could argue it might be 670 though.
I am in agreement with you there, but people seem more inclined to mention the 745 cutoff than the 575 cutoff, which is why I find myself inclined to try and be honest with my views, hence my honest opinion is that I would be very surprised if it was above 710.
Glad we agree on a few things at least, especially if we end up studying together :wink2::laugh:
Original post by Cal 1
That was just an example of other factors they may consider. I would say carries weight in that it seems a very big coincidence for such a massive inflation(745) followed by such a massive deflation(575) relative to the average of the past 6 years.
That's a very good point and I get where you're coming from now. Equally you could argue it might be 670 though.
I am in agreement with you there, but people seem more inclined to mention the 745 cutoff than the 575 cutoff, which is why I find myself inclined to try and be honest with my views, hence my honest opinion is that I would be very surprised if it was above 710.
Glad we agree on a few things at least, especially if we end up studying together :wink2::laugh:

It could be 670 yes, but then as the average is higher it seems as though it'll be higher this year, even so it's still the same idea.
People don't mention the 575 cut off score because it is incredibly low, much lower, in comparison, than 745 is higher. Also people say that 670-700+ is a medium/high-high score so that's why it isn't ever assumed to be as low as 575 because it has been high in every year (to different extents but still they're all high scores) in the past apart from 575 which is very very low.
And yeah haha.

What did you get in the ukcat?
Reply 199
It could be 670 yes, but then as the average is higher it seems as though it'll be higher this year, even so it's still the same idea.
People don't mention the 575 cut off score because it is incredibly low, much lower, in comparison, than 745 is higher. Also people say that 670-700+ is a medium/high-high score so that's why it isn't ever assumed to be as low as 575 because it has been high in every year (to different extents but still they're all high scores) in the past apart from 575 which is very very low.
And yeah haha.

What did you get in the ukcat?

Very true. We'll have to wait and see tbh. Yeah they're all crazy high considering the actual deciles.
I got 690, so I am by no means safe. In fact, I feel like my score will be very close to the cutoff. I am applying through partners too, which I know makes a slight difference if you're particularly close to the cutoff but I'll wait and see.
Yourself?

Quick Reply