The Student Room Group

Applying for joint hnrs english lit & politics AND single hnrs politics?

Hi,

I've just started work on my personal statement and I've run into a bit of an issue.

I'm applying for both English Literature & Politics, and just straight Politics, across my five chosen courses (out of my favourites, the joint honours at Liverpool, and the single honours at Sheffield).

How do I phrase my personal statement in a way that appeals to both courses?

Writing about english will surely disillusion the universities that I'm applying to that offer purely politics, but omitting english and discussing only politics will likewise surely disillusion Liverpool?

It's crossed my mind to somehow combine the two by discussing political literature in my PS in order to satisfy both, but even then, to Sheffield, to whom I am applying for politics, it will appear bizarre that I seem to have a fixation on political literature and use up so much of my PS to discuss it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

NB: Essentially, if Sheffield offered a politics and lit dual honours it wouldn't even cross my mind to apply to Liverpool, because I absolutely loved Sheffield when visiting on the open day and have since been back, but they just dont do the dual honours I'm interested in - only politics OR lit. Liverpool I really liked when visiting on the open day, and they do the dual honours that I really want to do - but as a city and as a university I've personally scored it slightly below Sheffield
Original post by lauriesutcliffe
Hi,

I've just started work on my personal statement and I've run into a bit of an issue.

I'm applying for both English Literature & Politics, and just straight Politics, across my five chosen courses (out of my favourites, the joint honours at Liverpool, and the single honours at Sheffield).

How do I phrase my personal statement in a way that appeals to both courses?

Writing about english will surely disillusion the universities that I'm applying to that offer purely politics, but omitting english and discussing only politics will likewise surely disillusion Liverpool?

It's crossed my mind to somehow combine the two by discussing political literature in my PS in order to satisfy both, but even then, to Sheffield, to whom I am applying for politics, it will appear bizarre that I seem to have a fixation on political literature and use up so much of my PS to discuss it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

NB: Essentially, if Sheffield offered a politics and lit dual honours it wouldn't even cross my mind to apply to Liverpool, because I absolutely loved Sheffield when visiting on the open day and have since been back, but they just dont do the dual honours I'm interested in - only politics OR lit. Liverpool I really liked when visiting on the open day, and they do the dual honours that I really want to do - but as a city and as a university I've personally scored it slightly below Sheffield

Contact the universities that are in the minority (ie of your 5 choices if only 1 or 2 is combined contact them or vice versa). Ask if they'll be happy with a joint honours application given that they don't offer that course combination and if not ask if you can send them a single honours PS directly after UCAS have processed your application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending