The Student Room Group

Can the head of 6th form force me to help out at an open evening?

The head of sixth form said to everyone in assembly that we all HAVE to help out at evening and even if we have part-time jobs we have to cancel our shifts. It runs until 8:30 from 5:30pm. Are they allowed to force me to go if I don't want to help out?
Original post by AlexHarris123
The head of sixth form said to everyone in assembly that we all HAVE to help out at evening and even if we have part-time jobs we have to cancel our shifts. It runs until 8:30 from 5:30pm. Are they allowed to force me to go if I don't want to help out?

No they can't force you. Just don't turn up, what are they going to do about it?
E kind of a dickhead if you don't turn up.
No, they can't force you to do it, just don't show up.
Original post by squish562
E kind of a dickhead if you don't turn up.

It's not really that I don't want to it's just I have work until 5 and I live 3 miles away and would have to walk, but they wouldn't really take this as an excuse.
It's not really that I don't want to it's just I have work until 5 and I live 3 miles away and would have to walk, but they wouldn't really take this as an excuse.

make sure you get a letter from your parents explaining the situation, also one from your work?
Say you've got a dentists appointment or something, or another unavoidable commitment.
The whole of the sixth form? :lolwut: i'm surs they only need a few people to help :facepalm:
They cant force u :no:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think they will have soemthing in the terms of the sixth form when you agreed to join.

The correct way to resolve it is to explain and show you have a work shift that you cannot cancel and will need to go, if needed do this bia a letter from your parents. Offer an equivalent amount of your time during the day or on another day, maybe some early prep for the open day or clearing up?
Original post by mediaya
The whole of the sixth form? :lolwut: i'm surs they only need a few people to help :facepalm:
They cant force u :no:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, it's a small sixth form, but I'm sure there's enough
Yeah, it's a small sixth form, but I'm sure there's enough

Just dont turn up, :tongue: they wont even realise :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 999tigger
I think they will have soemthing in the terms of the sixth form when you agreed to join.

The correct way to resolve it is to explain and show you have a work shift that you cannot cancel and will need to go, if needed do this bia a letter from your parents. Offer an equivalent amount of your time during the day or on another day, maybe some early prep for the open day or clearing up?

Yeah, thank you. I just sent them an email explaining why i can't make it, it should be ok
Yeah, thank you. I just sent them an email explaining why i can't make it, it should be ok

I think you will be ok.

Quick Reply