The Student Room Group

Is there anyone else just not bothered about their birthday?

I turn 20 in about 6 hours. I couldn't be less excited, in fact I don't want to turn 20.

Maybe it's just because 20 is like a more significant number than 23 or 24 or something. I'm no longer a teen. I'm (apparently) now an adult and there just seems to be such a big gap between 19 and 20. Maybe it's because I'm not in the best situation right now and don't have an awful lot of reason to be happy. I don't know.

I sound so depressed right now, I'm not. But honestly, why even celebrate my birthday? What am I celebrating exactly? Another year where I haven't died? Another year closer to dying? It's just a day. That's literally it.

I'm not going out drinking with anyone, I'm not seeing anyone, in fact work has it that I'm working 2am-7am and then I'll probably just come home and want to sleep. Just like any other day. I have the night and the next 2 days off to get over any potential hangovers, but there won't be any.

I just don't care. Obviously when I did when I was a kid and got toys and cake and ****, but now, just.. eh.

Anyone else feel/felt this way?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I never celebrated my birthday, maybe i used to when i was like 4 or something, but yh :tongue:

Exactly! I dont understand what the point either :hmmmm2:
Just for the fun i guess :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FightToWin
I turn 20 in about 6 hours. I couldn't be less excited, in fact I don't want to turn 20.

Maybe it's just because 20 is like a more significant number than 23 or 24 or something. I'm no longer a teen. I'm (apparently) now an adult and there just seems to be such a big gap between 19 and 20. Maybe it's because I'm not in the best situation right now and don't have an awful lot of reason to be happy. I don't know.

I sound so depressed right now, I'm not. But honestly, why even celebrate my birthday? What am I celebrating exactly? Another year where I haven't died? Another year closer to dying? It's just a day. That's literally it.

I'm not going out drinking with anyone, I'm not seeing anyone, in fact work has it that I'm working 2am-7am and then I'll probably just come home and want to sleep. Just like any other day. I have the night and the next 2 days off to get over any potential hangovers, but there won't be any.

I just don't care. Obviously when I did when I was a kid and got toys and cake and ****, but now, just.. eh.

It was my 18th birthday 2 days ago I wasn't as fussed about it as some people are about their birthdays. Didn't even get a present ill probs get one a month late or something :colonhash:

Go out for pizza with family or friends
Reply 3
Original post by mediaya
I never celebrated my birthday, maybe i used to when i was like 4 or something, but yh :tongue:

Exactly! I dont understand what the point either :hmmmm2:
Just for the fun i guess :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think honestly it's just an excuse to get drunk. Just like every other calendar event. Getting drunk because it's someone else's birthday and not even yours.. how sad :lol:
Reply 4
Original post by SuperHuman98
It was my 18th birthday 2 days ago I wasn't as fussed about it as some people are about their birthdays. Didn't even get a present ill probs get one a month late or something :colonhash:

Oh yeah, I remember my 18th, I went to college and came back and went to bed.

Hahaha.. I couldn't afford pizza or friends.
My 18th was ****! Didn't even celebrate with party food, gifts etc . You aren't on your own buddy.
Reply 6
I stopped caring after my 18th cos every year it's a chilling reminder that I'm closer to death.

I do like receiving free money though.
i didn't really care about my own birthday either, ur not the only one :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SuperHuman98

Pretty much what occured on my 18th which was a few days earlier. ^
I'm 26 now and the days of me caring are long gone. It's a good age as well, when you're younger everyone's like "Ahh, it's your birthday soon, what are you doing to celebrate?" and I'd feel pressured to do something big and social. Nowadays "Ahh, it's your birthday soon, what are you doing to celebrate?" might get met with "Erm, hmmm...... I might treat myself to a bit of lubricant when I w***?".
Well it's an excuse for people to give me money, so I enjoy it :laugh:
Original post by UWS

Damn you lucky :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
It's my birthday tomorrow and I'm really not fussed. I'm seeing friends on Saturday but I likely would have done that regardless of whether or not it was my bday. It's my dad's birthday on Monday though so it's a nice excuse for the whole family to go out. Haven't gotten excited about my actual birthday in a long time though.

For some reason people feel excited and want to celebrate their birthday when they get older. For me it's just a normal day no special occasion just when you were born.
I just see it as another day tbh.
No excitement at all
Original post by SM6
For some reason people feel excited and want to celebrate their birthday when they get older. For me it's just a normal day no special occasion just when you were born.

Exactly. I feel like maybe you'd celebrate something significant like turning 20,30,40 etc. but other than that what good thing is there? Oh hey, you were 27, now you're 28. That's incredible.

The only other reason I'd celebrate someone's birthday is if it was like a 90+ year old relative because they hadn't died yet. Gotta be honest.
Original post by UWS

I don't even have that anymore, I always end up spending more than everyone else and then kicking myself because I could have just settled on a £10 fragrance gift box :rofl:
Exactly. I feel like maybe you'd celebrate something significant like turning 20,30,40 etc. but other than that what good thing is there? Oh hey, you were 27, now you're 28. That's incredible.

The only other reason I'd celebrate someone's birthday is if it was like a 90+ year old relative because they hadn't died yet. Gotta be honest.

Yeah, that's so true. After my 13th birthday I haven't cared about any of my birthdays, they've just been normal days.
Original post by WoodyMKC
I'm 26 now and the days of me caring are long gone. It's a good age as well, when you're younger everyone's like "Ahh, it's your birthday soon, what are you doing to celebrate?" and I'd feel pressured to do something big and social. Nowadays "Ahh, it's your birthday soon, what are you doing to celebrate?" might get met with "Erm, hmmm...... I might treat myself to a bit of lubricant when I w***?".

I always feel depressed when I read your posts about life as a 26 year old. :rofl:
Original post by Precious Illusions
It's my birthday tomorrow and I'm really not fussed. I'm seeing friends on Saturday but I likely would have done that regardless of whether or not it was my bday. It's my dad's birthday on Monday though so it's a nice excuse for the whole family to go out. Haven't gotten excited about my actual birthday in a long time though.

happy early birthday - it's also mine in about a week
what are you doing for yours?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending