The Student Room Group

How many state school students at Oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by PQ
Not on the website - the data is all public domain but it's all in separate spreadsheets for each year.

And I'm a sad muppet so....

StateSchool Entrant % over time.PNG

PRSOM PRSOM PRSOM...

Thanking you. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Speaking as a fresher at Cambridge, it seems the majority of "state-school" students here come from the top grammar schools of the country, it's really unfortunate but sadly it's the truth.
Reply 22
Original post by Whizbox
Speaking as a fresher at Cambridge, it seems the majority of "state-school" students here come from the top grammar schools of the country, it's really unfortunate but sadly it's the truth.

Nope. Comps were 20% of the 2015 total intake (not just UK students), Grammars were 17%. Sixth Form Colleges 7%.

I imagine 2016 would be similar.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Thought it'd be lower, just goes to show how standards are slipping at the top universities nowdays.
Original post by jneill
Nope. Comps were 20% of the 2015 total intake (not just UK students), Grammars were 17%. Sixth Form Colleges 7%.

I imagine 2016 would be similar.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh, grammars being nearly equal to comprehensives is still pretty bad considering 5% of schools are grammars and at least 70% are comprehensive - although is this slightly wrong as that would add up to 44 not even close to 60??
Original post by #ChaosKass
Thought it'd be lower, just goes to show how standards are slipping at the top universities nowdays.

:troll:
Reply 26
Original post by domaths
Tbh, grammars being nearly equal to comprehensives is still pretty bad considering 5% of schools are grammars and at least 70% are comprehensive - although is this slightly wrong as that would add up to 44 not even close to 60??

70% of sixth forms are not comprehensives. (awaits @PQ... :smile: )

The 44 is from total intake including internationals. The 60 is UK only.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill

Ah yeah that makes sense, thought Cambridge had low amount of international students for some reason but that would make it around 25%
Reply 28
Original post by domaths
Ah yeah that makes sense, thought Cambridge had low amount of international students for some reason but that would make it around 25%

Yes 25% of total intake is non UK (EU & international)

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/undergrad_admissions_statistics_2015_cyle.pdf
Original post by Reality Check
Scary that one in ten respondents to this poll thought that the proportion of Oxbridge students educated at a state school was 10%.

The Brideshead view of Oxbridge is still pretty widespread among the general population. Even quite well read people who have not had first hand experience of Oxbridge can hold these views.
Reply 30
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The Brideshead view of Oxbridge is still pretty widespread among the general population. Even quite well read people who have not had first hand experience of Oxbridge can hold these views.

And yet 2.5% think it's 90% state... maybe by next year...
Original post by jneill
70% of sixth forms are not comprehensives. (awaits @PQ... :smile: )

Just saw your edit, according to this from 2011 http://www.suttontrust.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/sutton-trust-he-destination-report-final.pdf only around 55% of sixth forms are comprehensive, but non-selective state schools make up 75% which is why I probably got confused. But still 55% of schools getting 20% of offers while 5% of schools get 17% doesn't sound that right to me!
Reply 32
Original post by domaths
Just saw your edit, according to this from 2011 http://www.suttontrust.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/sutton-trust-he-destination-report-final.pdf only around 55% of sixth forms are comprehensive, but non-selective state schools make up 75% which is why I probably got confused. But still 55% of schools getting 20% of offers while 5% of schools get 17% doesn't sound that right to me!

Oh there's no doubt there's still plenty of outreach work to be done by Oxbridge :smile:
Original post by jneill
Oh there's no doubt there's still plenty of outreach work to be done by Oxbridge :smile:

I'm hoping the effects are starting to trickle through actually since my school was one outreached 3 years ago and now I'm applying - to the college that hosted the outreach day as well! I can keep some peace in mind that most of the statistics aren't really Oxbridge's fault when lots of the under representation starts with the application figures
Reply 34
Original post by domaths
I'm hoping the effects are starting to trickle through actually since my school was one outreached 3 years ago and now I'm applying - to the college that hosted the outreach day as well! I can keep some peace in mind that most of the statistics aren't really Oxbridge's fault when lots of the under representation starts with the application figures

Good stuff! And good luck :smile:

Yes the main task of outreach is to fundamentally encourage more applications. The secondary task is to improve the quality of those applications.
What percentage of the approx 55% of state schooled students went to grammar schools...?
Survey seems a bit dodgy however, as including primary school teachers who don't advise on university's is an obvious way to bring the figures down to make teachers look bad.
Reply 37
Original post by AlexS101
Survey seems a bit dodgy however, as including primary school teachers who don't advise on university's is an obvious way to bring the figures down to make teachers look bad.

Yes I was thinking that too. We would need to see the source data...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
But if @Fullofsurprises is correct about the income distributions of parents the percentage state school involvement is a complete red herring. You set specific targets and it opens gateways for savvy parents to squeeze their offspring through. Nothing wrong with savvy parents of course but it would be wrong to claim the system is becoming more 'fair'.

Quick Reply

Latest