The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abstract_Prism

I'm not sure how much I could improve on the LNAT even if I had spent more time studying for it... Don't they say it's very difficult to prepare for? Beyond just knowing the layout, that is.

It is quite difficult to prepare for, once you hit a point there will only be diminishing returns. But studying for the LNAT helped to improve my speed and efficiency. I also could review common errors of mine. All in all studying for the LNAT did help me, even if it hypothetically will only increase my score by 2 - 3 points.
Me when I actually get all 3 questions on a passage right in an LNAT practice test:

1468620073146.jpg
Original post by Risobelle
I did not say that cambridge was an LNAT uni. You are clearly new to how the system works for LNAT unis. Admissions tutors will tell you that you need to score above a certain mark in the LNAT so as to get an offer from an LNAT uni. If you get a low mark your application is rejected. It's as simple as that.

You did, in fact, say that Cambridge was an LNAT uni by asserting that the poster was being risky for "choosing only LNAT unis". I am not new to how the system works for LNAT universities, but I am new to the method in which you throw your false sense of superiority on this site and attack other people's university choices. You gain literally nothing from trying to make people feel worse about themselves, so I simply do not see why you feel the need to do so. It's as simple as that.
Me when I actually get all 3 questions on a passage right in an LNAT practice test:

1468620073146.jpg

Hahaha congrats!! I know exactly how you feel haha

There usually seems to be that one question that prevents you from getting all the questions from a passage right!
GCSE: 6 A*s and 4 A's - highest performing pupil at secondary.
A level predictions - A*A*A
Application sent today to: Cambridge, Warwick, Birmingham, Exeter and York.

Received an acknowledgement email from all.
(edited 7 years ago)
Question: Is Manchester an LNAT uni? The LNAT website doesn't say Manchester needs it and neither does the Manchester website, but I've seen some posts on here saying that it does.
Question: Is Manchester an LNAT uni? The LNAT website doesn't say Manchester needs it and neither does the Manchester website, but I've seen some posts on here saying that it does.

Pearson vue website has no option to send the LNAT to Manchester, so I assume it does not need it.
Original post by triquetragold
GCSE: 6 A*s and 4 A's - highest performing pupil at secondary.
A level predictions - A*A*A
Application sent today to: Cambridge, Warwick, Birmingham, Exeter and York.

Received an acknowledgement email from York.

What college are you applying to?
Original post by ahmed369
When did LSE send the acknowledgement?

Monday this week
What college are you applying to?

Emmanuel
Reply 30
Hi peers! I'm an international student and am applying for a LLB degree as well.

I submitted my UCAS application on the 26th of September.
Universities Applied To: Oxford, LSE, UCL, KCL and QMUL
AS: AAAA (achieved)
A2: A*A*A*A (achieved)
Offers received: Obviously none yet haha
Acknowledgement received: All universities except from KCL
Gonna sit for LNAT next week... not too optimistic about it :frown:

Best of luck to everyone :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by Heheboy
Hi peers! I'm an international student and am applying for a LLB degree as well.

what were your GCSE grades?
I took my LNAT today and overall it was probably alright, but I made a few errors. I ran out of time on the final two multiple choice questions and had to guess them, and on the essay I didn't put an introduction. The only thing with a semblance of an introduction was 'X will be defined as Y' and that was it, then I just got straight into writing... I had intended to go back and put the introduction in but I ran out of time! I also had at least two spelling mistakes - spelled 'dissenters' as 'desenters'. :frown:

Aside from that I thought the actual multiple choice section was considerably easier than the practice papers, and ignoring my spelling mistakes and lack of introduction, I think I demonstrated a consistent stream of logic and gave a creative answer for the essay.

Am I screwed? And has anyone else made spelling mistakes/missed questions/missed introduction/conclusion?
Original post by Risobelle
Admissions tutors will tell you that you need to score above a certain mark in the LNAT so as to get an offer from an LNAT uni. If you get a low mark your application is rejected. It's as simple as that.

Where did you hear that? Because it smells like BS to me. I sat the LNAT last year. The average score changes every year, and whether or not each Uni offers you a place depends on a) how much weighting they put on the LNAT in the first place and b) how the rest of the competition performed.
GCSEs: 6 A*s, 5 As, 1 B and 1 C
AS: A in Latin (and 3 As in PPEs/mocks for other subjects not officially sat)
Predicted grade: A*AA

Choices:
Oxford
KCL
UCL
Bristol
Manchester

Received acknowledgements from all but Manchester.
I took my LNAT today and overall it was probably alright, but I made a few errors. I ran out of time on the final two multiple choice questions and had to guess them, and on the essay I didn't put an introduction. The only thing with a semblance of an introduction was 'X will be defined as Y' and that was it, then I just got straight into writing... I had intended to go back and put the introduction in but I ran out of time! I also had at least two spelling mistakes - spelled 'dissenters' as 'desenters'. :frown:

Aside from that I thought the actual multiple choice section was considerably easier than the practice papers, and ignoring my spelling mistakes and lack of introduction, I think I demonstrated a consistent stream of logic and gave a creative answer for the essay.

Am I screwed? And has anyone else made spelling mistakes/missed questions/missed introduction/conclusion?

I think you'll be fine! Some LNAT unis don't even look at the essay, so it really depends. However, your mistakes do sound really minor and I wouldn't worry about it! I'm sure you did great :smile:
Original post by kirstybecs
Haven't sent mine off, I hope to by the end of October
I don't know anyone who's sent their application off yet
I'm applying to Bristol, Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool and Northumbria
GCSE - A*A*AAAAABBB AS - AABC A2 predicted - AAA

Sent off mine on September 6th. Yesterday, I got an offer from the University of Liverpool. Simply, overjoyed! Liverpool is asking for 33 IB points but must get a 5 in Maths since I am doing standard level and no subject less than 4. I have something to work towards to now. I hope to meet you at Liverpool in September 2017.
Enala (IB student from Canada)
Original post by dontcallmesammy
Where did you hear that? Because it smells like BS to me. I sat the LNAT last year. The average score changes every year, and whether or not each Uni offers you a place depends on a) how much weighting they put on the LNAT in the first place and b) how the rest of the competition performed.

Original post by thirdcultureteen
You did, in fact, say that Cambridge was an LNAT uni by asserting that the poster was being risky for "choosing only LNAT unis". I am not new to how the system works for LNAT universities, but I am new to the method in which you throw your false sense of superiority on this site and attack other people's university choices. You gain literally nothing from trying to make people feel worse about themselves, so I simply do not see why you feel the need to do so. It's as simple as that.

I did not have to compose this post but I want to because this forum has helped me a lot albeit only a handful of forum members (i'm thinking 4 or 5 people? :curious:)

I scored 18 in my first LNAT, LSE rejected me, I called them up, the person said sorry to me and to apply elsewhere so I took a gap year and scored 35 for my second LNAT.

You don't have to believe me. But i repeat this again for those who are unaware of this but are willing to hear me out and then do their own research before deciding if i'm speaking sense or not.

Personal statements don't matter one bit if you're applying to LNAT unis. If you score below a certain score which the LNAT uni has agreed by itself within its department to be the minimum mark for that application year then all applicants that have scored below that mark will be automatically rejected. You will be notified of that rejection via the personal portal (separate from UCAS) which all LNAT unis will create for you, provide the user ID and password to you for you to log in. It is in this portal where you can ask the tutor questions, they will reply to you or send them PDF copies of your results etc. Do a simple search on this forum and you will see so many who score 10, 11, 13, 15 etc for the LNAT and the LNAT unis rejected them outright. We will never ever know what the cut-off mark for the LNAT for that year is for a particular uni unless a Freedom of Information request is made.

Look at this link below. UCL first said that there is no benchmark score for the LNAT but then further down it says 'The average LNAT score for offer holders for 2014-15 was 27 (to the nearest whole number). For 2015-16 it was 28 (to the nearest whole number).
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/lnat_statistics_3

Admission tutors may say publicly that the entire LNAT and the personal statement is looked at as a whole. But i was told on good authority by those who know that the essay component of the LNAT doesn't count for anything. It's only the LNAT MCQ that matters. The function of the LNAT is to filter those who cannot think logically from those who can, under timed exam conditions. Although I disagree with this thinking behind the unis that have adopted the LNAT, it's their decision and you have to abide by it. If you had bothered to do a simple search on this forum, you will see many students from the past as far back as 2011 who have shared their horrible experiences such as computer malfunction, noisy candidates in the room, failure to prepare for the LNAT MCQ and so much more. All of them were rejected by the LNAT unis and they had to settle for the Russell Group unis.

Anyways for those who scored above the mark set by the uni for the LNAT score, they will then be given conditional offers they must meet in order to gain a place for the law degree. On results day if you miss the offer given, then your conditional offer will lapse but it depends on how much you have missed the offer by. So you will have to contact the admissions team in that uni and practically beg them to take you in. Chances of this are virtually slim.

The conditional offers that were lapsed will then be tallied so that when Clearing comes along, these places will be given to deserving students who FIRSTLY scored high for the LNAT and have done well for the exams by scoring AAA or A*AA or A*AB. Once the Clearing exercise is over, places will also be given to those who have exceeded their offers and wish to go to a better uni.

For example if Joe scored 35 on the LNAT and A*AA and his firm choice was Nottingham who had asked for AAA, he would now want to apply to LSE instead which he can now do so under Adjustment. Once again when he calls up LSE, the admission tutor will first ask him how much he scored for the LNAT and then his A level grades. (If he did not do the LNAT then he will have to take a gap year and do the LNAT and reapply the following year.)

But suppose Joe did the LNAT and scored 35 on it, he will then have to email the LSE admissions team and they will make him an offer over the phone. Joe will then call up his firm choice Nottingham to release him, he will call up LSE to inform them that Bristol has released him, LSE will then make an offer to him via ucase and he will then accept it. This entire exercise in this paragraph is normally done within a few hours.

Joe will not be silly to ask Nottingham to release him unless his place at LSE has been confirmed. Once Joe gets a place at LSE, his place at Nottingham will then be given to someone else who for example had applied to Bristol with an LNAT score of 30 and A*AA but now wants to go to a better uni. So the cycle is such where most people who exceeded their offers will want to go to a better uni. There will be some who are contented with the firm choice because he stays near that uni or he's someone who has lived near that uni all his life and doesn't want to relocate elsewhere etc.

So as a recap for those applying to LNAT unis

personal statements doesn't matter one bit

LNAT score is what gets you a conditional offer

low LNAT score will see the LNAT uni reject you outright via notification in UCAS portal

Lower ranked unis will be lenient on both results days and during Clearing because they are heavily undersubscribed. You'll have to monitor a couple of the online newspapers who will update available places on courses in real-time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/clearing/

http://www.independent.co.uk/student/into-university/clearing/clearing-2016-what-do-do-after-a-level-gcse-exam-results-applying-to-university-a7174126.html

It doesn't matter if you've stated in your personal statement that you've done charity work or helped out at the food bank or gone out to the real world to stack shelves at Waitrose. Ace the LNAT and everything will fall into place. They have been cases in the past where people scored 13 in the LNAT and got a place at LSE but it's only hearsay. It may very well be true but those cases should number very few.
Original post by emwanza
Sent off mine on September 6th. Yesterday, I got an offer from the University of Liverpool. Simply, overjoyed! Liverpool is asking for 33 IB points but must get a 5 in Maths since I am doing standard level and no subject less than 4. I have something to work towards to now. I hope to meet you at Liverpool in September 2017.
Enala (IB student from Canada)

Many of my friends from outside of the UK have gotten into Liverpool with ease. It's a lenient uni which happens to be in the Russell Group. The cost of living in Liverpool is very low compared to other parts of UK. Just do your best for the IB and you will be in Liverpool next year. Many Canadians, New Zealanders and Aussies have ended up in Liverpool and stayed on in UK to work and get citizenship. You could very well follow in their footsteps given that UK has now shifted its focus from the EU to reconnecting with the Commonwealth countries.

It was an LNAT uni in one of the previous years but they dropped the idea altogether. Manchester is heavily undersubscribed for most of its courses. They need international students too to keep it going financially. The LNAT was a hinderance to that objective. So they removed it which means that people from China, India, Pakistan etc can now apply and get an offer. If these students do not meet the offer then they will enrol into the foundation colleges which will allow them to proceed to Manchester LLB first year direct entry.

Original post by Heheboy

I think that in your case even if you perform averagely for the LNAT, you will get offers from the unis because you achieved A*A*A*A. Thats no mean feat. Where are you from and what subjects did you score them in? I'm from Denmark.

Did you not practice?

Original post by dontcallmesammy

So how much did you score last year and which unis did you apply to? What were your firm and insurance choices?
Thanks Risobelle for the input. I visited the U.K in the summer and had an opportunity to do a self-guided tour of the University of Liverpool. Liked the university and the city! Liverpool and Sheffield are my top two choices.
Enala

Latest

Trending

Trending