The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance?

My school have persuaded me to apply to Physics at Oxford as they kept on telling me that I could get a place etc. (Not sure if they're just saying this so they can say they had X Oxbridge applicants).

GCSE: 6A, 3B
AS: ABBB, A in Mathematics, B in Physics/Biology/Chemistry.
A2 predicted: A*AA, A* in Mathematics, A in Physics/Chemistry

My B was 1 mark off of an A in Physics, my B was 1 mark off of an A in Biology, and my B was 2 marks off of an A in Chemistry. Will any of this be taken into consideration considering I was a mere 4 marks away from AAAA? :banghead:

I also have a few questions:

1. Are your achieved grades used to determine if you're invited to an interview or not, or is it just the PAT score?

2. In order, out of PAT, interview, AS, GCSE, A2 predicted, which take the highest priority?

3. To overcome my bad GCSE and AS grades, would I have to be great in the PAT and interview?
Reply 1
Original post by W. A. Mozart
1. Are your achieved grades used to determine if you're invited to an interview or not, or is it just the PAT score?
2. In order, out of PAT, interview, AS, GCSE, A2 predicted, which take the highest priority?
3. To overcome my bad GCSE and AS grades, would I have to be great in the PAT and interview?

The tutors will have to believe that there's a reasonable chance of you meeting Oxford's admisisons criteria. I suspect that a candidate with weaker AS results but a good PAT mark would interest the tutors enough to secure an interview. If your PAT score is borderline, though, your academic marks up to this point may well work against you.

If you make it to interview, I suppose PAT and interviews will be the key factors in the final decision. You can probably very roughly split successful applicants into two categories: (1) "this candidate was very good and we'll give them a place"; (2) "these candidates were more borderline. who do we think we should take our chances with?". If you're in the first group, they will probably be less worried about your previous exam results. If you're in the borderline category, I again think your previous results are likely to disadvantage you.

But the main thing I would say is this: most Oxford applicants are strong, and most Oxford candidates don't get in. All applicants should bear this in mind and temper their expectations accordingly. It's not a good ida to get too worked up about Oxford before you know whether you've got an offer or not. The most important thing to do at this stage, once you've decided you're applying to Oxford, is to prepare thoroughly for the PAT (or other test, if you're doing a different subject) and then the interviews so that you can give yourself the best chance of getting in.
BJack's reply is good. But I dunno. I have a weird kind of feeling. OP - this might sound crazy...have you ever considered applying for Music?
Original post by BJack
The tutors will have to believe that there's a reasonable chance of you meeting Oxford's admisisons criteria. I suspect that a candidate with weaker AS results but a good PAT mark would interest the tutors enough to secure an interview. If your PAT score is borderline, though, your academic marks up to this point may well work against you.

If you make it to interview, I suppose PAT and interviews will be the key factors in the final decision. You can probably very roughly split successful applicants into two categories: (1) "this candidate was very good and we'll give them a place"; (2) "these candidates were more borderline. who do we think we should take our chances with?". If you're in the first group, they will probably be less worried about your previous exam results. If you're in the borderline category, I again think your previous results are likely to disadvantage you.

But the main thing I would say is this: most Oxford applicants are strong, and most Oxford candidates don't get in. All applicants should bear this in mind and temper their expectations accordingly. It's not a good ida to get too worked up about Oxford before you know whether you've got an offer or not. The most important thing to do at this stage, once you've decided you're applying to Oxford, is to prepare thoroughly for the PAT (or other test, if you're doing a different subject) and then the interviews so that you can give yourself the best chance of getting in.

Thanks for the reply, I'll be working hard towards the PAT.

Original post by glassanimal
Snoby awhole- i bet you muwee and dadee where really upset with your privite school

That was barely comprehensible. But you're wrong, I go to a state school.

Original post by OxFossil
BJack's reply is good. But I dunno. I have a weird kind of feeling. OP - this might sound crazy...have you ever considered applying for Music?

I can't tell if this is a dig or not...
Original post by W. A. Mozart
I can't tell if this is a dig or not...

No, only ein musickalischer Spass.

Good luck!

Quick Reply