The Student Room Group

British universities vs Dutch universities

Scroll to see replies

I am applying from Taiwan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper

Money's my main worry going abroad.

Tell your parents to make some reserves of euros because the Pound is falling rapidly and won't recover before several years.
Original post by Josb
Tell your parents to make some reserves of euros because the Pound is falling rapidly and won't recover before several years.

It might recover next month, nobody knows. It is not a good idea to predict what currency markets will do.
Original post by Snufkin
It might recover next month, nobody knows. It is not a good idea to predict what currency markets will do.

Yup. So you think I'd be better off going to a Dutch uni?

Original post by Josb

Yeah I'll try to. Maybe it'll be different by next year.
Reply 24
Yeah I guess. If the Dutch government offered student loans then I would pick that in a heartbeat.

Apparently you can:

https://duo.nl/particulier/international-student/student-finance/loan.jsp

I think I'll have to email Dutch Student finance to see if they still do this or not for 2017. Merci :*

Just read the whole thing. Only offered if I've lived in the Netherlands for 5 years or work 56 hours a week. I don't really want to work during uni because of workload.
Reply 27
Just read the whole thing. Only offered if I've lived in the Netherlands for 5 years or work 56 hours a week. I don't really want to work during uni because of workload.

You can still have a loan worth the fees (€2000): https://duo.nl/particulier/international-student/student-finance/applying-for-student-finance.jsp

(Under "Limited funding").
Anyone who is doing a dutch a level here? I used to be fluent but cause I have no practice, it has gone down.. So it would be amazing to find a dutch study buddy ;P
Original post by Josb
You can still have a loan worth the fees (€2000): https://duo.nl/particulier/international-student/student-finance/applying-for-student-finance.jsp

(Under "Limited funding":wink:.

I think I can get a bank loan from here as well..

Original post by prostheticzeta
Anyone who is doing a dutch a level here? I used to be fluent but cause I have no practice, it has gone down.. So it would be amazing to find a dutch study buddy ;P

Nope not that many schools offer it!
Sent off my application for Linguistics and Dutch at Amsterdam University!
Sent off my application for Linguistics and Dutch at Amsterdam University!

Good job! :smile: Hope everything goes swimmingly for you!
Original post by wolfmoon88
Good job! :smile: Hope everything goes swimmingly for you!

Thank you!
I personally would recommend sticking to a british uni, you're closer to home and personally i think the whole finance thing is such a big hassle and i think you're better off paying it yourself than relying on your parents (ofc if they can comfortably afford it then its not an issue). Going abroad for uni is only worth it for a top 20/ ivy leagues imo.

At the end of the day, it seems like you're leaning towards going to a dutch uni so good luck.
Original post by dropoutbear
I personally would recommend sticking to a british uni, you're closer to home and personally i think the whole finance thing is such a big hassle and i think you're better off paying it yourself than relying on your parents (ofc if they can comfortably afford it then its not an issue). Going abroad for uni is only worth it for a top 20/ ivy leagues imo.

At the end of the day, it seems like you're leaning towards going to a dutch uni so good luck.

I don't really want to go back home that much due to personal reasons. The courses I'm applying for at British unis do a year abroad too but I think it'll depend on the Dutch general election. If the anti immigration party win, I'm probably going to go to a British uni.
I don't really want to go back home that much due to personal reasons. The courses I'm applying for at British unis do a year abroad too but I think it'll depend on the Dutch general election. If the anti immigration party win, I'm probably going to go to a British uni.

I see, i can relate lol i dont like my family much so im hoping to go as far away as possible, im still in yr 12 though

Hopefully the elections dont matter for you, it would be such a shame.

Ultimately do what makes you feel happy, and since dutch unis make you better prepared for the future i think you're making an excellent choice. Good luck with everything :smile:
Original post by dropoutbear
I see, i can relate lol i dont like my family much so im hoping to go as far away as possible, im still in yr 12 though

Hopefully the elections dont matter for you, it would be such a shame.

Ultimately do what makes you feel happy, and since dutch unis make you better prepared for the future i think you're making an excellent choice. Good luck with everything :smile:

I come out with very little debt, fluent in another language and I plan to come back to the UK to do my postgraduate if I do go to a Dutch uni.. Thank you anyway!
Yeah I think if I kind of revise regularly in small doses getting through exams should be okish. I don't really want to rely on my dad too much but I think I would consider getting a job during my time at uni to keep myself going.

Glasgow accents are pretty adorable too :tongue:

This attitude won't get you through a degree at a uk university, where the assessments are relatively easy, compared to a dutch one where they are allegedly harder.

In order to get a degree, you have to work hard, or at least learn to work hard, consistently, for all of the time, with constant reading, and an increased push at the time of assessments. In order to get a 2.1 i had to work very hard for all of the time, with a 100% push at the times of assignments. Sorry ms cooper, but if you think that doing a little bit but steady, which maybe worked for you for a levels, will cut it for a degree, you have got a shock coming. And on account of this, and for a million other reasons, i would stay stick to the uk.
Original post by john2054
This attitude won't get you through a degree at a uk university, where the assessments are relatively easy, compared to a dutch one where they are allegedly harder.

In order to get a degree, you have to work hard, or at least learn to work hard, consistently, for all of the time, with constant reading, and an increased push at the time of assessments. In order to get a 2.1 i had to work very hard for all of the time, with a 100% push at the times of assignments. Sorry ms cooper, but if you think that doing a little bit but steady, which maybe worked for you for a levels, will cut it for a degree, you have got a shock coming. And on account of this, and for a million other reasons, i would stay stick to the uk.

I've done UK university assignments and got 2:1s in them. I'm pretty sure I'd be ok if I was disciplined with my time and stuff.

And yes I'm aware I have to work hard for a degree. Why else do you think I'm applying for university?

What other million reasons can you think of hun?
(edited 7 years ago)
I've done UK university assignments and got 2:1s in them. I'm pretty sure I'd be ok if I was disciplined with my time and stuff. 7

And yes I'm aware I have to work hard for a degree. Why else do you think I'm applying for university?

What other million reasons can you think of hun?

Have you been to university yet or not, you are making it unclear?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending