The Student Room Group

British universities vs Dutch universities

Scroll to see replies

Original post by john2054
Have you been to university yet or not, you are making it unclear?

Nope but during my summer schools I was given university essay questions to do.
Reply 41
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Sent off my application for Linguistics and Dutch at Amsterdam University!

You haven't chosen the cheapest place. :tongue: Will you apply to a second one?

I also found that there is an housing allowance in the Netherlands, called the huurtoesla.g (TSR filters the four last letters lol).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Josb
You haven't chosent the cheapest place. :tongue: Will you apply to a second one?

I also found that there is an housing allowance in the Netherlands: http://studentify.nl/government-aid/huurtoe****-housing-allowance/

Yeah I'm applying to Groningen for English Language and Culture with a year abroad in New Zealand or England. That's in the North and much cheaper :tongue:
Reply 43
Original post by dropoutbear
I personally would recommend sticking to a british uni, you're closer to home and personally i think the whole finance thing is such a big hassle and i think you're better off paying it yourself than relying on your parents (ofc if they can comfortably afford it then its not an issue). Going abroad for uni is only worth it for a top 20/ ivy leagues imo.

At the end of the day, it seems like you're leaning towards going to a dutch uni so good luck.

Amsterdam is 63rd in the world, before Bristol, Warwick, Durham, St Andrews, etc. She said that she couldn't go to these unis, so it looks like a good plan to me.
Nope but during my summer schools I was given university essay questions to do.

Well do you really think that a summer school marker, can grade you with the same excellence that a university lecturer does. They don't use mark schemes you know? Not like school anyhow.

And even if you did get a 2,1 equivalent grade for one piece of homework, that will be a year one equivalent. Years two and three are a completely different kettle of fish i'm afraid.

As a side note do you know how to do referencing?
Well do you really think that a summer school marker, can grade you with the same excellence that a university lecturer does. They don't use mark schemes you know? Not like school anyhow.

And even if you did get a 2,1 equivalent grade for one piece of homework, that will be a year one equivalent. Years two and three are a completely different kettle of fish i'm afraid.

As a side note do you know how to do referencing?

Considering it was marked by a uni lecturer in my subject yeah I do. Yes I know Years 2 and 3 count towards your degree.

Yup I do.
Original post by Josb
Amsterdam is 63rd in the world, before Bristol, Warwick, Durham, St Andrews, etc. She said that she couldn't go to these unis, so it looks like a good plan to me.

true true lol i just think personally for me, the extra hassle for moving abroad isnt worth it. Clearly OP seems more comfortable with it
Original post by dropoutbear
true true lol i just think personally for me, the extra hassle for moving abroad isnt worth it. Clearly OP seems more comfortable with it

I think mainly because the Netherlands is so much closer to here than America. It's all down to what happens with Brexit conditions and all that I guess.
Just been looking at Amsterdam's European Studies degree... it looks very interesting, something to consider for the future maybe. :u:
Original post by Snufkin
Just been looking at Amsterdam's European Studies degree... it looks very interesting, something to consider for the future maybe. :u:

That was originally the course I wanted to go for and then they offered Linguistics haha.
Original post by Josb

I think it's gone up to 55th now..
I've done UK university assignments and got 2:1s in them. I'm pretty sure I'd be ok if I was disciplined with my time and stuff.

And yes I'm aware I have to work hard for a degree. Why else do you think I'm applying for university?

What other million reasons can you think of hun?

Other reasons include lack of a dutch bank account, what do you do if you get lonely/homesick abroad, finances, student support, how will you order english books, accomodation, leisure, ability to buy english games in holland, what do you do if you come across a problem lecturer, who would you turn to, friends, what do you do if they all stick together, family and nightlife? What do you do if there is no, or a totally different social scene/night life in holland. These are only a few which came straight to my head, there are probably plenty of others. Plus i know that holland has an impressive social security system, but i honestly think that the change from school to degree, (where you go from being told what to do and what is expected, to where you are kind of thrown in at the deep end and expected to swim out), will be enough of a shock, so you don't need the extra stress of relocating to another country at the same time.

This all being said, if you are still confident that you can do it, and not afraid of the consequences if something goes wrong, and feel you can still do it. Go for it. Just don't say i didn't warn you. Doing a degree there is much less student protection/moderation, then there is on a place like tsr! xx
I think mainly because the Netherlands is so much closer to here than America. It's all down to what happens with Brexit conditions and all that I guess.

I doubt brexit will make a huge impact - If article 50 is triggered at the end of march 2017 then we will only leave near march 2019 so hopefully the process is smooth.
Reply 53
I think it's gone up to 55th now..

I use this ranking: https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/university-of-amsterdam#ranking-dataset/595546

So 63rd in the world, but 26th in Social Sciences.
Considering it was marked by a uni lecturer in my subject yeah I do. Yes I know Years 2 and 3 count towards your degree.

Yup I do.

PS i have never heard of university professors doing this, and i actually think it is bad of him, because uni is nothing like school as i said already. What do you do if you go from being at the top of the class in a uk university, to failing in holland? What would you do then?

Please send me more evidence of this lecturer grading your work, because he really shouldn't have done this, thanks!
Other reasons include lack of a dutch bank account, what do you do if you get lonely/homesick abroad, finances, student support, how will you order english books, accomodation, leisure, ability to buy english games in holland, what do you do if you come across a problem lecturer, who would you turn to, friends, what do you do if they all stick together, family and nightlife? What do you do if there is no, or a totally different social scene/night life in holland. These are only a few which came straight to my head, there are probably plenty of others. Plus i know that holland has an impressive social security system, but i honestly think that the change from school to degree, (where you go from being told what to do and what is expected, to where you are kind of thrown in at the deep end and expected to swim out), will be enough of a shock, so you don't need the extra stress of relocating to another country at the same time.

This all being said, if you are still confident that you can do it, and not afraid of the consequences if something goes wrong, and feel you can still do it. Go for it. Just don't say i didn't warn you. Doing a degree there is much less student protection/moderation, then there is on a place like tsr! xx

1) The uni helps you with that when you get there. It's literally the first thing they do when they drop you off at the uni
2) Finances and student support- My dad's said he's willing to help me get through uni abroad and I'm working over the summer
3) My course is in English so I'll be reading from English books
4) I'd like to think I'm fairly social with people
5) Considering my aspirational uni is in Amsterdam, the nightlife there is pretty legendary.
6) If I'm homesick it's literally just an hour away by plane and the homesickness doesn't last very long with me :tongue:

I've been sheltered most of my life so I can't really help thinking if I move abroad it'll be exhilarating and terrifying for me.

Thanks anyway.
PS i have never heard of university professors doing this, and i actually think it is bad of him, because uni is nothing like school as i said already. What do you do if you go from being at the top of the class in a uk university, to failing in holland? What would you do then?

Please send me more evidence of this lecturer grading your work, because he really shouldn't have done this, thanks!

Dear God you sound like my motherly friend. I've spoken to the uni and they say they provide support for those who fall behind.

Yup I do.

How many books and journal articles did you read and reference for this piece of homework btw? Because if it was any less than 10, then that grade was an inflated prediction i'm afraid You really need to start listening to people who actually have done a degree, recently, as opposed to your friends and tsr peers, who have more dreams than they do reality!
How many books and journal articles did you read and reference for this piece of homework btw? Because if it was any less than 10, then that grade was an inflated prediction i'm afraid You really need to start listening to people who actually have done a degree, recently, as opposed to your friends and tsr peers, who have more dreams than they do reality!

I think it must have been about 10 tbh.

My summer school mentor actually went to university in the Netherlands and he recommended it to me. So I am actually listening to someone whose done a degree thank you. I'm not a total airhead.

Ohhh I used QS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending