The Student Room Group

Can I apply to uni and not go?

Hey,

First of all, I'm sorry if this isn't the right place for such questions, but the amount of different forum sections on this website is ridiculous and it's hard for me to find the most appropriate area for a topic like this.

Anyway, basically, I am in upper 6th form and planning to apply for medicine. Unfortunately, last year didn't turn out well for me and I got a C in maths, which means that this year, if I applied, I would most likely not get any offers. I am planning to improve the grades, which so far isn't going too bad, but my past mistakes mean that I will have to apply next year and wait some time before actually going to uni.

However, in the mean time, in case I don't get the grades that I need, I wanted to apply to biomedical sciences and simply go from there with a different degree. In case I would get the desired grades though, would it be okay for me to still apply to medicine. even though I applied to biomed before? Or is it that once I apply that's that and I have to stick to biomed?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by frostyy
Hey,

First of all, I'm sorry if this isn't the right place for such questions, but the amount of different forum sections on this website is ridiculous and it's hard for me to find the most appropriate area for a topic like this.

Anyway, basically, I am in upper 6th form and planning to apply for medicine. Unfortunately, last year didn't turn out well for me and I got a C in maths, which means that this year, if I applied, I would most likely not get any offers. I am planning to improve the grades, which so far isn't going too bad, but my past mistakes mean that I will have to apply next year and wait some time before actually going to uni.

However, in the mean time, in case I don't get the grades that I need, I wanted to apply to biomedical sciences and simply go from there with a different degree. In case I would get the desired grades though, would it be okay for me to still apply to medicine. even though I applied to biomed before? Or is it that once I apply that's that and I have to stick to biomed?

Thanks

You don't have to go to uni this cycle and you can change your mind on Results Day.

You could then apply for Medicine next cycle. i.e. in your gap year after you do well in your A-levels.

BTW, this cycle's applications for Medicine need to be sent by tomorrow at the latest. For Biomedicine you have until January...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by frostyy

Hi Frostyy,

As Jneill points out you would only have until Saturday to get your application in for a Medicine course.

With regards to Biomedicine, have you thought about a Foundation Year? At UEA we offer a BSc Biological Sciences with a Foundation Year which could put your mind at ease if you are worrying about improving on the C grade in Maths. Our requirements at A Level for this course is CCC. At the end of it you would have a variety of options within our School of Biological Sciences. With a high percentage at the end of the year you could continue to studying our Biomedicine course. This is one possible avenue - you would need to apply by January 15 for September 2017 entry.

We're a Top 15 university (Guardian 2017) consistently ranked Top 5 for student satisfaction (National Student Survey). It's worth giving it some thought :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending