The Student Room Group

Lets leave NATO

NATO helped create the refugee crisis their regime changes bring devastation abroad and at home. Apart from making insecure people feel safe, why do we need them?

Seriously that is the only argument pro NATO people have. We need NATO or the Russians will invade!

Has anyone read Hillary's leaked speeches to Goldman Sachs? she talks a lot about Syria and how Russia are messing up their regime change.

I consider this the greater good. Surely it's illegal to arm militants, many who are not native to Syria to overthrow a government?

We should be siding with Russia and Assad, not supporting the destruction of Syria and in turn the destruction of Europe.

Scroll to see replies

Putin was able to stroll into the Crimea because Ukraine is not a NATO member. it would be a different story if he tried it on with one of the other countries...
So the "special relationship" is 100% linked to NATO and leaving NATO would stop us following the US?
Yeh sure lets support russia who are committing war crimes daily by bombing innocent people and supporting assad, a man who has dropped chemical weapons on the people, including children, in his own country.

You perfectly display the typical greedy westerner who wants the middle east to suffer and let us stand by countries committing inhumane acts so that the refugees dont come and steal our jobs.

Disgusting.
Original post by WickedWoman
NATO helped create the refugee crisis their regime changes bring devastation abroad and at home. Apart from making insecure people feel safe, why do we need them?

Seriously that is the only argument pro NATO people have. We need NATO or the Russians will invade!

Has anyone read Hillary's leaked speeches to Goldman Sachs? she talks a lot about Syria and how Russia are messing up their regime change.

I consider this the greater good. Surely it's illegal to arm militants, many who are not native to Syria to overthrow a government?

We should be siding with Russia and Assad, not supporting the destruction of Syria and in turn the destruction of Europe.

We don't have to worry about the Russians invading. We've got the Brexit Mafia to sort everything out and silence any free speech and dissent that Putin might threaten to unleash if he invades England and Wales.
Reply 5
Original post by dropoutbear
Yeh sure lets support russia who are committing war crimes daily by bombing innocent people and supporting assad, a man who has dropped chemical weapons on the people, including children, in his own country.

You perfectly display the typical greedy westerner who wants the middle east to suffer and let us stand by countries committing inhumane acts so that the refugees dont come and steal our jobs.

Disgusting.

This. To suggest siding with regimes like those is just absurd :facepalm:
Switzerland manages fine outside of NATO.

We got out of the EU like Switzerland and can now get out of NATO.
Original post by MagicNMedicine

We got out of the EU like Switzerland and can now get out of NATO.

The EU & NATO are not even remotely similar.

Switzerland is, as close as makes no real difference, totally surrounded by NATO members which means that, other than Austria or Lichtenstein, only a NATO member is in a geographical position to actually invade them. It's geographical terrain naturally suits defence, it has no natural resources of note & much of its population is armed. I wouldn't say that the UK shares many of those features.

Why didnt you put a poll up and then people could have voted on your suggestion?

Who the **** would bother to invade switzerland tho?
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Who the **** would bother to invade switzerland tho?

Why would they bother to invade the UK?

Switzerland has got better natural resources and more wealth than we do...
Original post by Tempest II
The EU & NATO are not even remotely similar.

Switzerland is, as close as makes no real difference, totally surrounded by NATO members which means that, other than Austria or Lichtenstein, only a NATO member is in a geographical position to actually invade them. It's geographical terrain naturally suits defence, it has no natural resources of note & much of its population is armed. I wouldn't say that the UK shares many of those features.

So who is in a geographical position to actually invade the UK?

We are an island surrounded by water with nuclear missles, so who is in a position to carry out a successful invasion and occupation of the UK?
Original post by the bear
Putin was able to stroll into the Crimea because Ukraine is not a NATO member. it would be a different story if he tried it on with one of the other countries...

I'm not convinced it would have stopped him if Ukraine had been in NATO - he and many Russians imperialistically regard Ukraine as part of Russia, so more likely it would simply have precipitated war between NATO and Russia. Indeed, the stated reason Putin had for his many interventions in Ukraine was precisely because they were trying to join NATO.
So who is in a geographical position to actually invade the UK?

We are an island surrounded by water with nuclear missles, so who is in a position to carry out a successful invasion and occupation of the UK?

Poland / Romania.

(Read this in a UKIP leaflet.)
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Poland / Romania.

(Read this in a UKIP leaflet.)

:biggrin: quality
Reply 15

The old Soviet Union would descrble you as an Useful idiot. I don't know what the current Russian nomenclature is for people with your views is.
(edited 7 years ago)
Why would they bother to invade the UK?

Switzerland has got better natural resources and more wealth than we do...

We're generally more likely to annoy people on the international scene because people actually give a **** about our existence.
I'm glad you're secure enough to feel like you could stand up to Russia on your own.

I think we should abolish the police force too they only protect people who are insecure about being mugged.
Original post by blue n white army
* I think we should abolish the police force too they only protect people who are insecure about being mugged.

back of the net !!

you win today's internet Sir

:congrats: *
Original post by blue n white army

I think we should abolish the police force too they only protect people who are insecure about being mugged.

:lol:

Although last time I checked, phoning the police did not involve the immediate risk of total nuclear destruction. Nor do the police separately carry out murderous raids on our friends and allies and then demand we involve ourselves to support them in their tiffs with larger police forces. (Think Turkey)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending