The Student Room Group

Does the University you go to effect employability/salary?

For example, as I live in Manchester, would I get paid more/be more easily hired if I go to Newcastle University (to do Computer Sci) compared to if I go to Manchester Met or Salford Uni (to do Computer Sci)

(Cant apply to Manchester Uni - too hard to get into)

Anyone understand what I'm asking?

Thanks
You would hope so or else whats the point of even trying for a good uni.
Original post by Hackerman
For example, as I live in Manchester, would I get paid more/be more easily hired if I go to Newcastle University (to do Computer Sci) compared to if I go to Manchester Met or Salford Uni (to do Computer Sci)

(Cant apply to Manchester Uni - too hard to get into)

Anyone understand what I'm asking?

Thanks

What you get paid in a job is a function of what exact sector/role you have, your personal attributes and to a small amount, your degree, classification and Uni. it is simply untrue to say that degree, classification and uni are meaningless, but the problem is that you can never know in advance how much weight, if any, an employer might place in a first from Cambridge compared with a 2.2 form Edge Hill. It might be light and day, or it might make little or no difference - you just don't know. Of course, the precautionary principle applied, you get the best degree at the best university you can. However, much mor einfluential are your own personal, soft skills. How good you are at writing applications counts, how well you come over at interview counts, how well you fit the office structure counts. After the first few years in the workforce, these soft skills become virtually the only thing that counts in professional advancement, so long as your work quality is top quartile.

So in your example, you can get to the same place with any of them, but Newcastle and Manchester probably the stronger options, but between them - your own personality will be far more influential in securing a career.
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
What you get paid in a job is a function of what exact sector/role you have, your personal attributes and to a small amount, your degree, classification and Uni. it is simply untrue to say that degree, classification and uni are meaningless, but the problem is that you can never know in advance how much weight, if any, an employer might place in a first from Cambridge compared with a 2.2 form Edge Hill. It might be light and day, or it might make little or no difference - you just don't know. Of course, the precautionary principle applied, you get the best degree at the best university you can. However, much mor einfluential are your own personal, soft skills. How good you are at writing applications counts, how well you come over at interview counts, how well you fit the office structure counts. After the first few years in the workforce, these soft skills become virtually the only thing that counts in professional advancement, so long as your work quality is top quartile.

So in your example, you can get to the same place with any of them, but Newcastle and Manchester probably the stronger options, but between them - your own personality will be far more influential in securing a career.

Thanks for the reply. The reason I'm asking is because I want to do CS at Newcastle but my mum reckons I should stay in Manchester and do it MMU or Salford because its cheaper.
Original post by Hackerman
Thanks for the reply. The reason I'm asking is because I want to do CS at Newcastle but my mum reckons I should stay in Manchester and do it MMU or Salford because its cheaper.

Go to Newcastle, it will probably (not certainly) pay off in the long run.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending