The Student Room Group

Smokers: why do you smoke?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Consider what you are funding. If you could buy highly lucrative stocks in a heroin dealing organisation, and know that you'd not get caught, would you?

From an investing standpoint, yes.

Morally, no.

It fits every part of what a good investment is:

a) loyal customers, addicts always come back
b) opium is readily available and heroin is not costly to make

However the fact that heroin literally ruins lives means less people are going to be shooting up than smoking. So there isn't too much growth in the heroin industry, you would expect P/E multiples around 8-10 then.

It would be a very consistent non growing business.
Reply 41
Original post by chelseadagg3r
I smoke Richmond's. That being said, I always grab Marlboro menthols when I see them but that's very rare

Do you like R. Menthols?
Original post by El.Guapo
Do you like R. Menthols?

They're alright, but I prefer to get better ones if I'm going for menthols. My friend brought over these amazing menthols from Ireland about a year ago but I can't remember for the life of me what brand they were. I just know he couldn't find them over here in England
Reply 43
They're alright, but I prefer to get better ones if I'm going for menthols. My friend brought over these amazing menthols from Ireland about a year ago but I can't remember for the life of me what brand they were. I just know he couldn't find them over here in England

Shearmans?
Shearmans?

Not those. I just asked and they were Karelias. As far as I know they're not Irish. Not sure where he got them, but I remember him searching everywhere over here for them and he couldn't get a hold of any
Reply 45
Not those. I just asked and they were Karelias. As far as I know they're not Irish. Not sure where he got them, but I remember him searching everywhere over here for them and he couldn't get a hold of any

Ok. Why do you go for Richmonds?
Ok. Why do you go for Richmonds?

They're not the cheapest, but they're cheap. I like the taste and the feel of them, and where some other cheap ones just make me feel ill these don't
I do it because I enjoy it, I don't do it to to make a statement or look edgy (People who think this are so naive). I never really do it around people mostly when I'm alone. I don't really like doing it around people because I think its a bit rude when in conversation for example but also just out of respect to other people don't like smoking.
To answer the questions, I enjoy it, it's relaxing and no I don't think its 'sexy', but by that I mean it doesn't add attraction to somebody, it doesn't take it away either.
Reply 48
They're not the cheapest, but they're cheap. I like the taste and the feel of them, and where some other cheap ones just make me feel ill these don't

😊 Do you like any other brands?
Reply 49
Do you smoke because you enjoy it or can't stop?

If you enjoy it, what do you like most?

Do you find it sexy in any way?

I smoke much less then I used to because I was starting to see some of the negative health effects. Now I only smoke 1-2 a day but I'm trying to get it down to 0!

I used to, but now I find that it's more of a habit so less so. That said sometimes there are times when I really need one and then I enjoy it.

No, not really
😊 Do you like any other brands?

I haven't tried all that many, but I did like Amber Leaf rollies with menthol filters. Absolutely loathe all JPS though :tongue:
Reply 51
I haven't tried all that many, but I did like Amber Leaf rollies with menthol filters. Absolutely loathe all JPS though :tongue:

Amber leaf 👌
Used to smoke, I think a lot of teens do it do begin with socially/at parties because they want to fit in/try something new/rebel. Been a light smoker for the last two years or so, finally stopped buying them and invested in a proper vape instead (not one of the rubbish shisha pens) :colondollar:
Original post by bluemadhatter
I used to smoke (For a few months) but I stopped smoking 3 weeks ago. I started because of my friend and I continued because it gave me this nice feeling and if I was feeling stressed/sad, it would give me time to just go outside and calm straight back down. Also continued because it was hard to stop :colondollar: Although I did stop because I went through a period where the thought of smoking made me feel quite nauseous and when that went away, I thought "Well I went without for a week might as well carry on". And I'm glad I did because the benefits outweigh the cons by a lot especially in the long term. And I can get that sort of relief and calmness from other things like talking to my friends or going out to do something fun on my own even. I do miss it though... but its a temporary feeling that will damage me way more in the long term. And I am glad that I was forced to stop because I don't think I would have otherwised.

Arent u 17 or something.
It should be illegal tbh
I don't smoke, but I hate people who smoke no matter what. Sure it's addicting, but can't you do it somewhere else? They smoke in public where people breathe it in and passive smoking can be harmful as well! They aren't considerate of people and I dont care how stressful or depressed they are, they shouldn't affect other people around them. It should be illegal, even if it provides jobs for thousands and millions of people, they are basically supporting the killing of people!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Joel 96
They do it as a statement. It's how they start in the first place. The health problems are already well known, so they do it to be seen as edgy or rebellious. They may enjoy it, but it's not why they started.
And people speak for other people because they think it makes 'em look smart :rolleyes:

I started out of curiousity when someone offered me a cigarette at school. Simple as that - I had a cigarette, enjoyed it, and that was it and all about it.
Original post by Tootles
And people speak for other people because they think it makes 'em look smart :rolleyes:

I started out of curiousity when someone offered me a cigarette at school. Simple as that - I had a cigarette, enjoyed it, and that was it and all about it.

Oh no, I'm merely suggesting that the health problems relating to smoking are already well known, which is why the sales of tobacco are in the decline. For whatever reason you smoked, you were aware of the consequences, but you did it anyway. Presuming you stopped after your first only dictates the stupidity of the addiction movement. If you're still smoking, then you're just an imbecile.
Those on the left start smoking to attempt to emulate the hippies of the 60s, and then of course as leftists are so weak minded they become addicted to it. I personally couldn't care less about the wellbeing of leftie liberals, but it is a bit sad really.
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Arent u 17 or something.

I'm 18 and age doesn't matter when it comes to smoking, there are 14 years old who smoke...

Quick Reply

Latest