The Student Room Group

British universities vs Dutch universities

Scroll to see replies

I'm applying for Amsterdam too hun! It's roughly the same for me too at 1984 euros. What course at Amsterdam are you applying for?
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I think it must have been about 10 tbh.

My summer school mentor actually went to university in the Netherlands and he recommended it to me. So I am actually listening to someone whose done a degree thank you. I'm not a total airhead.

would you be prepared to pm me the essay, so i can see the level you are working at?
British. We're still technically in the EU for another few years so I pay EU fees.
I need to send my application off for Groningen's too. But see ya if we both end up at Amsterdam :tongue:
Yes you can :tongue: My subject building is 5 mins away from de Wallen :colone:
Oh dear I didn't realise it meant that much to you. Can I send you the feedback I got from it actually?

yes please do that at least, as some form of evidence?
Reply 66
What does it mean?

Google says "Organisation of Islamic Cooperation".
Original post by Josb
What does it mean?

Oh i see
I did a Language Course at Utrecht University and enjoyed it. My main concern in your shoes would be the economic situation post Brexit.
Reply 69
Original post by SugarCoatedCart
Oh i see

I see. :holmes:
Original post by john2054
would you be prepared to pm me the essay, so i can see the level you are working at?

Why are you trying to put the OP off? MrsSheldonCooper seems far more prepared and capable than you give her credit for, and the Netherlands' higher education system is not that dissimilar to the UKs anyway, she will be fine.
Just been reading this thread and there are a few things I would like to address. First of all, for reference, I'm studying in the UK, but I grew up in Holland, and know a thing or two about the Dutch university system through information we got at school and through my friends from secondary school who are now studying at Dutch universities.

My first point: I feel like there is some scaremongering going on here (not going to name any names). Holland is not the other side of the world, you don't need to worry at all about half the stuff you've been warned about. English is the least of your problems, London to Amsterdam is a 45 minute flight, so if you do feel homesick, you can go home for the weekend, etc.

As for the workload, I don't think it's harder than Britain. Most of the students who drop out do so because they themselves choose to (because they don't like the course). A lot of people in Holland make little effort to properly choose their subject, this is the cause of most of the dropouts, not some kind of super high requirement. What you need to take into account when comparing grades is that in Holland the pass mark is 55 or 60 out of 100 on an exam, the 80 you mentioned may refer to 80% of the total number of points you can get in a year. I'm not 100% on how those work, but I believe passing the exam means you get the points for that subject, which would mean that you need to pass at least 80% of your subjects in first year. Another thing I would like to mention is that it is not uncommon for students in the Netherlands to spend an extra (half) year doing the course if they need extra time to complete their degree (check your uni's website for this). Of course, you'll want to do it in the normal time, but I'm just trying to say that Dutch unis don't really do the whole kicking people out thing so much.

As for the Amsterdam vs Groningen issue, the pros and cons I would like to mention are:
Amsterdam:
Pros: near the airport, near many other major cities, big city, good uni, lots of foreigners, lots of culture
Cons: most expensive to get accommodation and accommodation is hardest to find (Holland doesn't have halls, it's all private or fraternity (which I would not recommend)), big city

Groningen:
Pros: nice student town, good uni, accommodation should be easier to find and cheaper
Cons: relatively far away from other cities/major airport, not the most international part of the country (though you'll still get by fine even without Dutch)

Hope all this helps, feel free to ask any specific questions.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Josb
What does it mean?

Oh I see
Original post by Snufkin
Why are you trying to put the OP off? MrsSheldonCooper seems far more prepared and capable than you give her credit for, and the Netherlands' higher education system is not that dissimilar to the UKs anyway, she will be fine.

Original post by Tian1Sky
Just been reading this thread and there are a few things I would like to address. First of all, for reference, I'm studying in the UK, but I grew up in Holland, and know a thing or two about the Dutch university system through information we got at school and through my friends from secondary school who are now studying at Dutch universities.

My first point: I feel like there is some scaremongering going on here (not going to name any names). Holland is not the other side of the world, you don't need to worry at all about half the stuff you've been warned about. English is the least of your problems, London to Amsterdam is a 45 minute flight, so if you do feel homesick, you can go home for the weekend, etc.

As for the workload, I don't think it's harder than Britain. Most of the students who drop out do so because they themselves choose to (because they don't like the course). A lot of people in Holland make little effort to properly choose their subject, this is the cause of most of the dropouts, not some kind of super high requirement. What you need to take into account when comparing grades is that in Holland the pass mark is 55 or 60 out of 100 on an exam, the 80 you mentioned may refer to 80% of the total number of points you can get in a year. I'm not 100% on how those work, but I believe passing the exam means you get the points for that subject, which would mean that you need to pass at least 80% of your subjects in first year. Another thing I would like to mention is that it is not uncommon for students in the Netherlands to spend an extra (half) year doing the course if they need extra time to complete their degree (check your uni's website for this). Of course, you'll want to do it in the normal time, but I'm just trying to say that Dutch unis don't really do the whole kicking people out thing so much.

As for the Amsterdam vs Groningen issue, the pros and cons I would like to mention are:
Amsterdam:
Pros: near the airport, near many other major cities, big city, good uni, lots of foreigners, lots of culture
Cons: most expensive to get accommodation and accommodation is hardest to find (Holland doesn't have halls, it's all private or fraternity (which I would not recommend)), big city

Groningen:
Pros: nice student town, good uni, accommodation should be easier to find and cheaper
Cons: relatively far away from other cities/major airport, not the most international part of the country (though you'll still get by fine even without Dutch)

Okay good points. I understand that degrees in Holland are similar to those here in the UK. But if i can go anything by the degree i did, as anything to go by, it was more then just a little bit of work here and then to pass. That is the point i was making.
Oh yeah you did! Yeah my course is Linguistics and Dutch (if I was fluent in Dutch I could learn French :colonhash:). What do you mean by the bolded bit though?

What job do you want? I'm applying for chemistry at Groningen, and I have the same questions as you.
http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2016

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2016/mathematics#sorting=rank+region=+country=187+faculty=+stars=false+search=

hmm interesting they actually have one or two universities which is good for maths, and world class both generally and for maths. I guess If I can't get into Cambridge, Imperial or Warwick they may be worth a looksi

wonder what their grade requirements would be and how much their tuition fees would be. UK isn't part of EU anymore so would have to pay foreign fees.

I cannot speak dutch though but if they do it in English might actually be an option.
Delft or Amerstdam only though not going to another country for a non top 100.
Original post by john2054
Okay good points. I understand that degrees in Holland are similar to those here in the UK. But if i can go anything by the degree i did, as anything to go by, it was more then just a little bit of work here and then to pass. That is the point i was making.

Of course, uni will be hard work, both in Holland and in the UK. I think she was referring more to her style of working than the quantity of working. Doing a little bit of one thing, then a bit of another, and so on, is fine, as long as you plan in advance. That's pretty much they way I try to plan my work too.
Reply 78
Original post by Luke7456
http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2016

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2016/mathematics#sorting=rank+region=+country=187+faculty=+stars=false+search=

hmm interesting they actually have one or two universities which is good for maths, and world class both generally and for maths. I guess If I can't get into Cambridge, Imperial or Warwick they may be worth a looksi

wonder what their grade requirements would be and how much their tuition fees would be. UK isn't part of EU anymore so would have to pay foreign fees.

I cannot speak dutch though but if they do it in English might actually be an option.

Use this ranking, it's better than QS: https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2017/world-ranking#!/page/0/length/-1/sort_by/rank_label/sort_order/asc/cols/rank_only
Original post by TheGreatPumpkin
What job do you want? I'm applying for chemistry at Groningen, and I have the same questions as you.

Publishing or teaching.

Original post by Tian1Sky

Amsterdam:

Groningen:

Can't tell you how helpful this was. Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending