The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medical School 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cal 1
Very true. We'll have to wait and see tbh. Yeah they're all crazy high considering the actual deciles.
I got 690, so I am by no means safe. In fact, I feel like my score will be very close to the cutoff. I am applying through partners too, which I know makes a slight difference if you're particularly close to the cutoff but I'll wait and see.
Yourself?

I mean i wouldn't say you are a risking anything, i'd say it's really reasonable to apply with a score like that.
730ish
Reply 201
Original post by YouHaveProblems
I mean i wouldn't say you are a risking anything, i'd say it's really reasonable to apply with a score like that.
730ish

Meh, fairly borderline I feel. Hopefully no massive jump in cutoff and should be alright.

Nice, that's one interview basically sorted then:biggrin:
Original post by Cal 1
Meh, fairly borderline I feel. Hopefully no massive jump in cutoff and should be alright.

Nice, that's one interview basically sorted then:biggrin:

Are you from Newcastle?
Reply 203
Are you from Newcastle?

Nope, Devon. Yourself?
Original post by Cal 1
Very true. We'll have to wait and see tbh. Yeah they're all crazy high considering the actual deciles.
I got 690, so I am by no means safe. In fact, I feel like my score will be very close to the cutoff. I am applying through partners too, which I know makes a slight difference if you're particularly close to the cutoff but I'll wait and see.
Yourself?

i think the cut off will be lower than last years 682.5.
Reply 205
Original post by Lostperson

Yeah I hope so:biggrin:

Is that graduate entry cut off? I saw 682.5 somewhere about last year but then i've also seen 575 so are they for different ones??
Is that graduate entry cut off? I saw 682.5 somewhere about last year but then i've also seen 575 so are they for different ones??

I think 575 was the year before wasn't it? It was for the standard 5 year course :smile:
I think 575 was the year before wasn't it? It was for the standard 5 year course :smile:

745 was in 2014 iiiiiiiii duuuuunnnoooooo

wasn't that the year where DA scores were crazy high, there was a general inflation of scores that year... trust me lost of people with 800's.

I think what we can take from it, is that the cut off is reflected by national averages and this year avgs were lower so cut off should be lower. UNLESS all the 720+ guys decide Newcastle is the ONE. haha doubt it.
wasn't that the year where DA scores were crazy high, there was a general inflation of scores that year... trust me lost of people with 800's.

Yeah that was the year before last, there were lots of people with high grades perhaps but the average was lower than this years and by the looks of it loads have over 800 and 700 for AR and QR this year. It depends on the scores of the people applying to the school so that year even though the averages were lower the people who applied had great scores
I think what we can take from it, is that the cut off is reflected by national averages and this year avgs were lower so cut off should be lower. UNLESS all the 720+ guys decide Newcastle is the ONE. haha doubt it.

You can't assume it to be lower because the national average of the 745 year was lower than this years. As many people with really high ukcat scores applied to them in the year with 745 that caused the cut off to be high. That's just as likely to be the case this year. Newcastle is the heaviest ukcat university so everyone with great results are going to apply to here
Yeah that was the year before last, there were lots of people with high grades perhaps but the average was lower than this years and by the looks of it loads have over 800 and 700 for AR and QR this year. It depends on the scores of the people applying to the school so that year even though the averages were lower the people who applied had great scores

the average was lower that year?? it was 660 i think... with DA. Without DA it was 624...
You can't assume it to be lower because the national average of the 745 year was lower than this years. As many people with really high ukcat scores applied to them in the year with 745 that caused the cut off to be high. That's just as likely to be the case this year. Newcastle is the heaviest ukcat university so everyone with great results are going to apply to here

yes i do see your point... but not EVERYONE with great results will apply there.

either way haha there is no point speculating, Im just going by the trend *apart from 2013 with the inflated scores* and think that 690 is a safe score.
Reply 216
either way haha there is no point speculating, Im just going by the trend *apart from 2013 with the inflated scores* and think that 690 is a safe score.

I really do hope so:s-smilie:
Original post by Cal 1
I really do hope so:s-smilie:

me too.. I have 700 on the dot. so if you aren't safe that we are basically on the same boat :smile: x
Reply 218
me too.. I have 700 on the dot. so if you aren't safe that we are basically on the same boat :smile: x

Nice! I think 700 puts you in a pretty safe place tbh. I'm trying to block out the 2 years of crazy cutoffs (575 and 745) from my mind, in which case late 600s cutoffs seem reasonable.
Like has been said before, we can only speculate cause it's basically impossible to tell:iiam:.
Only people that are safe are the 800+ people:laugh:
Original post by Cal 1
Nice! I think 700 puts you in a pretty safe place tbh. I'm trying to block out the 2 years of crazy cutoffs (575 and 745) from my mind, in which case late 600s cutoffs seem reasonable.
Like has been said before, we can only speculate cause it's basically impossible to tell:iiam:.
Only people that are safe are the 800+ people:laugh:

deffo.

but don't forget that that 745 cut off was when avgs were silly high. Im going for it. My mate has 694 and is going for it xx

Quick Reply

Latest