The Student Room Group

Lukewarm GCSE's and EPQ, good A2's?? Applying to Oxford, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Gsmiths

I know this question has been asked constantly since the dawns of the site, but I'm applying to do Fine Art at Oxford (and the other institutions above). As UCAS make it imperative to put down every grade - and, considering the chance that my portfolio turns out really strong (been endorsed by an MBE and told I'm technically good) - can I prosper in applying to Ruskin? (My UCAS points - not that UCAS points dictate anything, either - equate to 3 A's; the grades needed for the course). If this ups the chances, I'm also doing an art foundation course.
Also, I'm asking this question because of a certain teacher who has, twice, misdirected me in how I'm assessed and can get good grades (dick).
A2: A*A*C
EPQ: D
GCSE's: A*AABCCCCD
ABRSM grades 1-6 (practical) - additional grade 5 (theory); pass-distinction
UAL Foundation Level 4 Diploma (currently sitting)
City & Guilds Level 2 in 2D (distinction)
(Whilst not a grade per say, I've won a design MBE competition, won a local arts centre prize and shortlisted for a university prize). Also, do any of you guys know if putting AS grades down are necessary once you've got the full A2 result? (My english went from a D to an A* lol).

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by HarryMart1n
I know this question has been asked constantly since the dawns of the site, but I'm applying to do Fine Art at Oxford (and the other institutions above). As UCAS make it imperative to put down every grade - and, considering the chance that my portfolio turns out really strong (been endorsed by an MBE and told I'm technically good) - can I prosper in applying to Ruskin? (My UCAS points - not that UCAS points dictate anything, either - equate to 3 A's; the grades needed for the course). If this ups the chances, I'm also doing an art foundation course.
Also, I'm asking this question because of a certain teacher who has, twice, misdirected me in how I'm assessed and can get good grades (dick).
(Whilst not a grade per say, I've won a design MBE competition, won a local arts centre prize and shortlisted for a university prize). Also, do any of you guys know if putting AS grades down are necessary once you've got the full A2 result? (My english went from a D to an A* lol).

Thanks!

If you have achieved or are predicted a C, the chances or rejection are quite high. When a university, especially Oxford, Glasgow and Edinburgh, set out their entry requirements - they do not do 'AAA or equivalent'. Getting A*A*C fails to reach the standard because an A grade is the benchmark. You are expected to do well, by their standards, in all of your subjects.

As much as it pains me to say it, I'd expect a pretty swift rejection pre-interview from Oxford. Most will be applying with grades above their requirements, will have excellent GCSEs (mainly A*s and As) and a very strong portfolio. You also have to remember only 10% of applicants get a place, and only 23% of applicants are interviewed so I highly doubt you'd be able to get to interview.

If you haven't applied just yet, I'd recommend finding unis which will either accept 'AAA or equivalent' or unis who say they'll be okay with A*A*C. Make sure also to check with Glasgow and Edinburgh - as atm I assume they will take the same stance as Oxford but I could be wrong.
Reply 2
Original post by jamestg
If you have achieved or are predicted a C, the chances or rejection are quite high. When a university, especially Oxford, Glasgow and Edinburgh, set out their entry requirements - they do not do 'AAA or equivalent'. Getting A*A*C fails to reach the standard because an A grade is the benchmark. You are expected to do well, by their standards, in all of your subjects.

As much as it pains me to say it, I'd expect a pretty swift rejection pre-interview from Oxford. Most will be applying with grades above their requirements, will have excellent GCSEs (mainly A*s and As) and a very strong portfolio. You also have to remember only 10% of applicants get a place, and only 23% of applicants are interviewed so I highly doubt you'd be able to get to interview.

If you haven't applied just yet, I'd recommend finding unis which will either accept 'AAA or equivalent' or unis who say they'll be okay with A*A*C. Make sure also to check with Glasgow and Edinburgh - as atm I assume they will take the same stance as Oxford but I could be wrong.

Hi, thanks for getting back to me so soon. :smile: Yeah, you have a point. Thanks for being real. It was only going to be a shot to see what happened. I got an offer from Edinburgh last year but the course wasn't the right one for me :tongue:

Thanks once again!
Reply 3

Thanks!

Ask an Oxford admissions tutor to confirm if it may be worth your while.

Eg. @BrasenoseAdm (except I can't tag them on the App....)

Or

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4103109
LMH Oxford: Ask us anything

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by jneill

Or

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks man, will do (before Saturday aah!) :smile:
If the C is partly down to poor teaching then talk to your referee and ask them to explain that in your reference.

You get 5 choices so it's not a problem to use one of those for a shot at Oxford.
Reply 6
Thanks man, will do (before Saturday aah!) :smile:

Post in the specific thread I linked (not just the forum), and include your full academic profile with A-level subjects, to give the AT some context.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
If the C is partly down to poor teaching then talk to your referee and ask them to explain that in your reference.

You get 5 choices so it's not a problem to use one of those for a shot at Oxford.

Yeah, that was the plan :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
Post in the specific thread I linked (not just the forum), and include your full academic profile with A-level subjects, to give the AT some context.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry - excuse my amateur TSR skills :colondollar:
Reply 9
Tagging @BrasenoseAdm and @LMH OXFORD.

Can you give your expert opinion on the OP please (potential Fine Art applicant with A*A*C achieved) :smile:

Many thanks!
Just for clarity - it does state here: http://www.rsa.ox.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/bfa-faq

"Recent school leavers need to meet the university entry requirement of three grade As at A-level (or equivalent)"

Whether that means equivalent grades or equivalent qualifications isn't clear. It'd be really useful if the ATs could clarify (and maybe ask someone at RSA to make their FAQ a bit less ambiguous).
Reply 11
Original post by PQ
Just for clarity - it does state here: http://www.rsa.ox.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/bfa-faq

"Recent school leavers need to meet the university entry requirement of three grade As at A-level (or equivalent)"

Whether that means equivalent grades or equivalent qualifications isn't clear. It'd be really useful if the ATs could clarify (and maybe ask someone at RSA to make their FAQ a bit less ambiguous).

And Art being art may have more flexibility than some courses... yes, hopefully an AT will pop in soon.
Original post by jneill

Or

Posted from TSR Mobile

We've had a look at the qualification list and spoken to the Ruskin.

If you read this in time, we would suggest telephoning the Ruskin to discuss your circumstances on 01865 276940

On paper, A*A*C and a Foundation would not meet the entry requirement, according to the Ruskin, unless there are extenuating
circumstances. Your grade profile, however, is unusual and suggests to us that you are a non-standard applicant. Without seeing
your application it is very hard for us to give a definitive answer on what would happen were you to apply.

Our advice is that if you are not able to speak to the Ruskin School at this late stage and are prepared to use up one of your five UCAS options, you should apply and the selectors will decide if it is appropriate to exercise discretion. We feel we should attach some disclaimers to this advice - it is given in good faith and on the basis of limited evidence and very close to the UCAS deadline, which restricts our capacity to assist.

Brasenose Admissions

Thanks!

Forget Oxford ..heavy in GCSEs
Original post by Theplace
Forget Oxford ..heavy in GCSEs

Did you miss the post directly above yours?

Quick Reply

Latest