The Student Room Group

Year 13 Maths Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mik1a
cosec(x) is 1/sin(x).

sin(x) repeats every 2pi, therefore so does 1/sin(x).

regarding transformed graphs: consider x slowly increasing from 0 to 2*pi. Now consider what happens to 2x in the same time. It reaches twice the distance, from 0 to 4pi. So in the time it takes sin(x) to complete one cycle, sin(2x) will have completed two cycles. The period of the function decreases by a factor of two when the argument of the function is doubled. This is true of all functions, including sin(x) and cosec(x).

Ohh so these questions get you to think about whats happening rather than using maths to find the period?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 941
Original post by kiiten
Ohh so these questions get you to think about whats happening rather than using maths to find the period?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, you can learn the rules, e.g. "f(a*x) squashes f(x) along the x-axis by a factor of a", it's a faster method but also more boring. I suggest you learn that rule for the exam, but also try to make sure you understand the method in case you forget the rule.
Original post by mik1a
Well, you can learn the rules, e.g. "f(a*x) squashes f(x) along the x-axis by a factor of a", it's a faster method but also more boring. I suggest you learn that rule for the exam, but also try to make sure you understand the method in case you forget the rule.

Is that graph transformation? Please could you show me using that method with the example?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 943
Original post by kiiten
Is that graph transformation? Please could you show me using that method with the example?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure, its the one on the far right. Squashes everything up towards the line x=0.

Original post by asinghj
You know from C3:

ddx(e(f(x)))=f(x)e(f(x)) \frac{d}{dx} (e^(f(x))) = f`(x) e^(f(x))

So you apply that in reverse, which means if you differentiate ex22 e^\frac{-x^2}{2} you get the exactly what you are integrating...

It's a weird way, I haven't done C4, so sorry if I waffled and stuff but watch this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t1EZyUxAkhg

Thankyou
Original post by mik1a
Sure, its the one on the far right. Squashes everything up towards the line x=0.

Thank you :biggrin:

So for my example would it be 2pi ÷ 4 ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 946
Original post by youreanutter
How using c4 methods do u integrate xe^x^2 in part b the 3rd line

Use the substitution u=x22 u = \frac{-x^2}{2} which transforms the integral to eu du \int -e^u\ du . More generally, f(x)ef(x) dx=ef(x)+c \int f'(x)e^{f(x)}\ dx = e^{f(x)} +c . To see why this works, consider the substitution u=f(x) u = f(x) .
Reply 947
Original post by medhelp
Q1.7
How many zeros are there at the end of the number 100! ?
I don't get what that exclamation mark means, and 2 isn't the answer. I remember using it as symbol in AS maths but not anything else.

Q1.11
A salesmen drives from L to B. The first half of the distance he drives at a constant speed of 80 mph. The second half he drives at a constant speed of 120 mph. What is his average speed for the total journey?

I don't understand why the answer is 96 mph and not 100?

Q1.7:

100!=100×99×98...×3×2×1 100! = 100 \times 99 \times 98 ... \times 3 \times 2 \times 1
For this question, consider how a zero at the end is formed - it means the number is multiplied by 10, so is formed from a 2 and a 5. Essentially, you have to find the number of pairs of 2s and 5s you have. I'll leave the answer in a spoiler, but try to work it out first. (Hint: if you express 100! in its prime factors, the number of 2s will be greater than the number of 5s)

Spoiler

Q1.11
average speed=total distancetotal time \mathrm{average\ speed} = \frac{\mathrm{total\ distance}}{ \mathrm{total\ time}}

Let total distance=2x \mathrm{Let\ total\ distance} = 2x
As distance travelled in both parts is the same, distance travelled in each half is x. Then find time taken for first half and the time taken for the second half (in terms of x), to find the total time taken, and then calculate the average speed, and the x s should cancel.
(edited 7 years ago)
Complex transformation (region shading).png

I got the equation of the circle in part (a) as (u98)2+v2=964 (u-\frac{9}{8})^2 +v^2 =\frac{9}{64}

For part (b) z<3|z|<3 is the region inside the circle with centre (0,0) radius = 3 3 so why does the shaded region lie outside the circle after the transformation, as shown in the mark scheme?
Reply 949
Original post by NotNotBatman
Complex transformation (region shading).png

I got the equation of the circle in part (a) as (u98)2+v2=964 (u-\frac{9}{8})^2 +v^2 =\frac{9}{64}

For part (b) z<3|z|<3 is the region inside the circle with centre (0,0) radius = 3 3 so why does the shaded region lie outside the circle after the transformation, as shown in the mark scheme?

for part b you should have w1w<3\frac{|w|}{|1-w|}<3 so from there it should work out to give the region outside the circle
Original post by solC
for part b you should have w1w<3\frac{|w|}{|1-w|}<3 so from there it should work out to give the region outside the circle

I have, wi1w<3\frac{|wi|}{|1-w|}<3, which leads me to the correct answer now. I have now realised how to work out the region from the Cartesian equation, just replacing the = sign with a > sign in later stages of working, so the distance from the centre to any point on a locus is greater than the radius, so all points outside the circle. Is there any way of noticing where to shade from the complex form?
Reply 951
I have, wi1w<3\frac{|wi|}{|1-w|}<3, which leads me to the correct answer now. I have now realised how to work out the region from the Cartesian equation, just replacing the = sign with a > sign in later stages of working, so the distance from the centre to any point on a locus is greater than the radius, so all points outside the circle. Is there any way of noticing where to shade from the complex form?

Hmm, I'm not too sure to be honest. I wouldn't think so because, unless you've already worked it out, you wouldn't even know what sort of locus z is mapped onto. For a question like this one though I think it would be the easiest way even if there were another method since you've already done all the calculations required, all you need to do is swap the = with an <.
Is there any way of noticing where to shade from the complex form?

Lol, yeah. Features of complex plane means that once you know where one point goes under the function, you can tell where all the others will (loosely speaking).

So, in your case, take any zz such that z<3|z| < 3, so say z=1iz = 1-i then w=1i1i+i=1iw = \frac{1-i}{1-i + i} = 1 - i and this lies outside the circle in the ww plane. So you can immediately tell that any point in z<3|z| < 3 will map to a point ouside the circle in the ww-plane, so you shade outside the circle.
Original post by Tau
Use the substitution u=x22 u = \frac{-x^2}{2} which transforms the integral to eu du \int -e^u\ du . More generally, f(x)ef(x) dx=ef(x)+c \int f'(x)e^{f(x)}\ dx = e^{f(x)} +c . To see why this works, consider the substitution u=f(x) u = f(x) .

Why on earth would you use u=x2/2u = -x^2/2? u=x2u=x^2 does the job fine and I can understand that u=x2/2u=x^2/2 helps remove ugly factors of 212^{-1} but why would you want to introduce an artificial negative sign for no good reason?
Reply 954
Original post by Zacken
Why on earth would you use u=x2/2u = -x^2/2? u=x2u=x^2 does the job fine and I can understand that u=x2/2u=x^2/2 helps remove ugly factors of 212^{-1} but why would you want to introduce an artificial negative sign for no good reason?

I agree it's unnecessary, it was to highlight that it was an example of the general case of f(x)ef(x) dx=ef(x)+c \int f'(x)e^{f(x)}\ dx = e^{f(x)} +c .
Original post by Zacken

What is it to u, so racist

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
What is it to u, so racist

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aliens, I tell you.
Original post by Tau
I agree it's unnecessary, it was to highlight that it was an example of the general case of f(x)ef(x) dx=ef(x)+c \int f'(x)e^{f(x)}\ dx = e^{f(x)} +c .

Yeah, u=x2u = x^2 or u=x2/2u =x^2/2 does the best job to highlight that, not u=x2/2u = -x^2/2.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 958
Original post by Zacken
Yeah, u=x2u = x^2 or u=x2/2u =x^2/2 does the best job to highlight that, not u=x2/2u = -x^2/2.

Sorry Zacken :frown: I would have actually used u=x2/2 u = x^2/2 if I was doing it.
Original post by Tau
Sorry Zacken :frown: I would have actually used u=x2/2 u = x^2/2 if I was doing it.

DNt say sorry to him hes just being salty cause he cant deal with - signs

Quick Reply

Latest